User Tag List

123 Last

Default White Supremacist Leader Dead

BBC News - Anger and anxiety after Terreblanche murder

I remember this guy storming government buildings with a big body of paramilitary garbed supporters years ago, now he's dead apparently in a dispute over a months wages with two guys who work on his plantation (for the grand sum of about 27). He was hacked to death after getting his ass kicked when a fight broke out.

Now I've no sympathy with his politics what so ever, however, this has come about when senior members of the ANC are suggesting that Zimbabwe's land seizures are an example to be emulated and ANC youth taking up singing songs about killing "The Boer" (spelling).

Are we likely to see a repeat of Rwanda here?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    BBC News - Anger and anxiety after Terreblanche murder

I remember this guy storming government buildings with a big body of paramilitary garbed supporters years ago, now he's dead apparently in a dispute over a months wages with two guys who work on his plantation (for the grand sum of about 27). He was hacked to death after getting his ass kicked when a fight broke out.

Now I've no sympathy with his politics what so ever, however, this has come about when senior members of the ANC are suggesting that Zimbabwe's land seizures are an example to be emulated and ANC youth taking up singing songs about killing "The Boer" (spelling).

Are we likely to see a repeat of Rwanda here?
    No, we aren't. South Africa is a murderous place, unfortunately, and things like this happen. It is troubling that this is being made into a political issue, though. I hope that the ANC will start to disavow Mugabe. He is complete scum.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP

I think that South Africa is unlikely to go the direction of Rwanda, but the direction of Zimbabwe is a distinct possibility (though not currently a probability). So far, the ANC leadership has kept a grip on things, but they continue to play with fire, and party leadership can change. The situation makes me nervous, as Zimbabwe was once a post-colonial success story, as well. Things are more likely to deteriorate once ANC seems in danger of losing its automatic governing majority in Parliament.
    Last edited by lowtech redneck; 04-04-2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: more to add

I'm always really disappointed by how these post colonial histories play out.

Some sort of neo-colonialism or external control always turns out to be necessary.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm always really disappointed by how these post colonial histories play out.

Some sort of neo-colonialism or external control always turns out to be necessary.
    It's because the urge for revenge almost always outweighs the desire to forgive. Zimbabwe got its revenge for colonialism, all right, but in the process it transformed itself from a rich, orderly place in which everyone could potentially prosper, into the worst kind of awful third-world hell-hole.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    It's because the urge for revenge almost always outweighs the desire to forgive. Zimbabwe got its revenge for colonialism, all right, but in the process it transformed itself from a rich, orderly place in which everyone could potentially prosper, into the worst kind of awful third-world hell-hole.
    Its a pretty primitive variety of revenge, I mean the revenge that the Chinese are likely to have on the world system by playing the long game is far more likely to be sweeter for them than expelling or killing ethnic minorities who remind them of their former or even present subordination.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I'm not sorry he is dead, i favour it over him being alive.
    I think the focus should be on how to create and promote harmony rather than speculate on what could go wrong that hasn't already.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    I think the focus should be on how to create and promote harmony rather than speculate on what could go wrong that hasn't already.
    You can't attempt the first without doing the latter beforehand.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    You can't attempt the first without doing the latter beforehand.
    Ah but you are so eager you forgot to read it properly. I said the focus should be on the former, i didn't say you musn't speculate.
    Did you change your type?
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    Ah but you are so eager you forgot to read it properly. I said the focus should be on the former, i didn't say you musn't speculate.
    Did you change your type?
    Speculation takes longer than a couple of days, should one desire to avoid catastrophe. If you want to rush things, provide possible solutions yourself instead of implicitly criticizing others for not being pollyanish enough for your sensibilities.