User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Personally, I think that Mr Terreblanche got what he had coming to him... he WAS the founder of what was basically a far right white supremacist terrorist organization, that planted bombs, forcefully invaded negotiations, and tried to take over one of the homelands, among other activities The man did everything he could to keep Apartheid in place, including resorting to violence...

Would I rather have seen him sent to jail for life and made an example of? Definitley... but I'm not sad to see him dead by any means!

I don't really see South Africa as turning out to be another Rwanda- first of all, it's not two native ethnic groups turning against one another, secondly, I don't think that SA is going to go into a state of civil war (war always seems to be a good cover for genocide!), and thirdly, the proportion of Terreblanche's followers to those who think that he was a total kook is WAY more skewed than the breakdown of crazies to normal people in Rwanda and no presidential jets have been shot down in terrorist attacks or anything...

I see Zimbabwe having much more potential for instability, but even then I don't think that it would be to the same extent as in Rwanda, no matter how crazy Mugabe is
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Personally, I think that Mr Terreblanche got what he had coming to him... he WAS the founder of what was basically a far right white supremacist terrorist organization, that planted bombs, forcefully invaded negotiations, and tried to take over one of the homelands, among other activities The man did everything he could to keep Apartheid in place, including resorting to violence...

Would I rather have seen him sent to jail for life and made an example of? Definitley... but I'm not sad to see him dead by any means!

I don't really see South Africa as turning out to be another Rwanda- first of all, it's not two native ethnic groups turning against one another, secondly, I don't think that SA is going to go into a state of civil war (war always seems to be a good cover for genocide!), and thirdly, the proportion of Terreblanche's followers to those who think that he was a total kook is WAY more skewed than the breakdown of crazies to normal people in Rwanda and no presidential jets have been shot down in terrorist attacks or anything...

I see Zimbabwe having much more potential for instability, but even then I don't think that it would be to the same extent as in Rwanda, no matter how crazy Mugabe is

No matter how repugnant a human being, he doesn't deserve to be murdered over $60.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

with the money that he had in order to run a farm on that sort of land he could have easily afforded it...

He was an asshole and a well publicized douchebag- he knew he was living with that risk and kept going down that path. He took that risk and the fate that befell him was a risk of that lifestyle. I'm not sad that he's dead, I won't be sad when David Duke dies... death is death, whether by murder or natural causes
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ESFJ

with the money that he had in order to run a farm on that sort of land he could have easily afforded it...
    No doubt, but that is immaterial.

He was an asshole and a well publicized douchebag- he knew he was living with that risk and kept going down that path. He took that risk and the fate that befell him was a risk of that lifestyle. I'm not sad that he's dead, I won't be sad when David Duke dies... death is death, whether by murder or natural causes
    Actually, a fundamental principle of mankind is that murder is WAY different than natural causes.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm not mankind... I've always seen death of people I don't know as just that, death... whether it's murder or natural causes- and murder is the easy way out compared to some natural causes of death out there

I'm still not disappointed by the fact that he's dead- he can't speak hate anymore now

I'm not celebrating, that would be ghoulish, but I'm certainly not disappointed and you're not going to guilt trip me into being so

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Speculation takes longer than a couple of days, should one desire to avoid catastrophe. If you want to rush things, provide possible solutions yourself instead of implicitly criticizing others for not being pollyanish enough for your sensibilities.
    Couple of days? Rush things? Yet again you are trying to put words in my mouth. ..
    And criticizing? Three words come to mind
    Pot.Kettle.Black
    Have you changed your type?
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I was thinking it's a good example of Karma.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INTP

Personally, I think that Mr Terreblanche got what he had coming to him...
    This really isn't about him, despite the title of the thread; he's just a high-profile victim. Most victims (and potential victims put at greater risks by race-baiting agitation and the failure to condemn Mugabe) are not leaders of white supremacist organizations or violent ex-cons. I couldn't care less that he died, but the issue of vigilante violence and associated demagoguery for political purposes, is vitally important.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    Couple of days? Rush things? Yet again you are trying to put words in my mouth. ..
    And criticizing? Three words come to mind
    Pot.Kettle.Black
    Have you changed your type?
    I noticed you still haven't come up with any theoretically viable solutions...

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    This really isn't about him, despite the title of the thread; he's just a high-profile victim. Most victims (and potential victims put at greater risks by race-baiting agitation and the failure to condemn Mugabe) are not leaders of white supremacist organizations or violent ex-cons. I couldn't care less that he died, but the issue of vigilante violence and associated demagoguery for political purposes, is vitally important.
    Well, seeing that this victim was a demagogue who beleived in vigalante INjustice against others, it's kind of fitting...

People had to learn the behavior somewhere, and personally, I'd think that people like Mr. Terrablanche was probably one of the teachers unintentionally.