User Tag List

12 Last

Ginkgo

Wink Your Face is in 2 Places.

With the swelling of modern technology, we are approaching an age in which accessibility to information is increasing. Of course, the information is produced by us and is received by us. No doubt a symptom of postmodernism.

This information dispersal is married with social climate; so even one's identity becomes convoluted in the sea of communication. So you have multiple identities, and your neighbor has multiple identities, and celebrities have multiple identities, and politicians have multiple identities. The deceiver's finery is worn briefly, but always at the opportune moment.

And of course, this impacts our lives on a grand scale as long as we are exposed to forms of disseminated communication. We are no longer valued by who we are, but by what we say. Just as politicians are elected not for what they have done, but by what they say they will do.

Sure, we have always been like this by a marginal extent, but with an increasing population and an increasing communication utility, the habit naturally increases.

Ever since NASA took photos of Earth, we have been global thinkers. How will this affect the world in general?

Phantonym

It's doomed, in general. As usual.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Doom, doom, doom, doom, doom...
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Increased neurosis, psychosis and psychopathy as there's an increasingly confused or impoverished sense of self.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Increased neurosis, psychosis and psychopathy as there's an increasingly confused or impoverished sense of self.
    So last century was the century of the self, and next century will be no self? Or perhaps just a conglomerate self.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Tater Typhoon View Post
    We are no longer valued by who we are, but by what we say.
    Unlike those golden days when people were valued for who they are.

How will this affect the world in general?
    I think it's safe to say that this is the end for humanity.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Unlike those golden days when people were valued for who they are.

I think it's safe to say that this is the end for humanity.
    I'm saying that the propensity will probably increase, not that it's never been done in the past. It's part of our nature as humans to present a certain face to the world. We're not consistent.

You don't have to be sarcastic. I just want to hear people's honest opinions.

If you were to live in a rural town, then everyone would know you. The gossip wouldn't be as diluted; so "you" wouldn't be as misrepresented.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm saying that the propensity will probably increase, not that it's never been done in the past. It's part of our nature as humans to present a certain face to the world. We're not consistent.
    Yes, all that valuing people for who they really are. I remember it well.

EDIT: I do get your point that the way people are judged will change, but claiming that people will be valued less accurately is an entirely different matter. Which if you didn't say directly, you heavily implied. When it comes to valuing people for "who they are", the past has a very bad reputation for it.

As far as I can tell, the level of two-facedness and deception in that area has not increased at all. I could easily argue that people are being more "themselves" now, than they have ever been before, and being valued for it. I'd start by saying that speaking one's mind is a lot easier on say, an internet forum, than it is face to face. Though my actual opinion is that, differentiating between what is and isn't a person being "who they are" is a futile activity. They are always themselves, I see no reason to say otherwise. They just behave differently in different environments.

You don't have to be sarcastic.
    It makes me happy. Do you want to take that happiness away from me?

heart on fire

So last century was the century of the self, and next century will be no self? Or perhaps just a conglomerate self.
    Hive mind.

When the marketing geniuses sell the public on chips in the brain. (not if but when, the trendies will have to have it.) then there will be a gradual shift to where no one has true silence or privacy anymore. It's going to be Godawful too.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Hive mind.

When the marketing geniuses sell the public on chips in the brain. (not if but when, the trendies will have to have it.) then there will be a gradual shift to where no one has true silence or privacy anymore. It's going to be Godawful too.