User Tag List

MBTI
    ENFJ

Default Is This An April Fools Joke? UK: Woman Arrested for Selling 14-year-old A Goldfish

-Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Phantonym

Published on March 30.

Follow the law, Granny.

Looks like somebody wanted to make an example. Granny got the short end of the stick.

Oberon

That law is asinine, and enforcing it doubly so. This is a prime example of cop-as-brainless-civil-servant.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    That law is asinine, and enforcing it doubly so. This is a prime example of cop-as-brainless-civil-servant.
    I mean, they caught her in a sting operation. Because not selling fish to 14-year-olds is so important, I guess.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

What are these kids doing with these fish?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    NICE

The law in question that granny broke concerns the sale of animals to anyone under 16. The reasons should be obvious: selling a cat or a dog to a 14 year old isn't a good idea; selling a rabbit or a mouse takes on a slightly more serious note as teenagers are prone to do "crazy" stuff - like devise cruel ways to torture a mouse or pop a cat in the microwave for a laugh.

Allowing a goldfish to be sold to a teenager, but not a rabbit or a dog, seems a curious place to draw the line.

The lady knew the rules and broke them. She was given a "community" punishment which she could not do on health grounds; thus the seemingly draconian punishment given as an alternative.

The rules are clear: do not sell live animals (including goldfish) to persons under 16.

As an aside, local authorities have been running these stings for many years - principally on small shop-owners who sell booze and fags to kids.

It's reasuring that they've widened the net to pet shops. Prosecutions are never done for first offences. I doubt if the pet shop in question is an unlucky first offence, caught by some overzealous council jobsworth. More likely they've sold animals to teenagers in the past and been caught several times.

Ginkgo

If your old enough to serve your country, then you should be old enough to inebriate yourself.

And if you're old enough to grow a beard, you should be old enough to inebriate fish.

You are what you eat, so if you rummage through the corpses of dead fish, then you're probably not fit for society anyway.

Except for maybe a society of dead fish, but they're lawless and petulant, so who needs them?

Horseshoe crabs are purer and more wholesome, the paragon of aquatic saintliness.

MBTI
    ENFJ

If I recall, teenagers doing "crazy" stuff to animals doesn't magically stop at 16. Why 16? Why not 21? I think by 21 all the fake-cultists have been weeded out and very few are going to sacrifice a rabbit to Satan anymore.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

God I love the UK..

I lived there for 6 years, and to quote Jeremy Clarkson.. "You can't make this shit up"

So, on the same day in the same town .. The Police force declares that they will no longer respond to shoplifting under 100.
    Reason: to much paper work tying down the police and inhibiting them from dealing with more serious matters.
    Like..
    Same town same day, remember ..
    4 cars respond to a complaint because some kids are playing football(soccer) in the road and somebody's car was hit by the ball.

You can't make this shit up..