User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 45

  1. #31
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by themightybob View Post

    Suppose the u.s was to fight a war with a large country with reasonably advanced technology like russia or china, would'nt we want the best equipment available?

    Should this kind of war occur, then designing a jet fighter which could withstand the massive amounts of radiation that would follow the incoming nuclear apocalypse would make more sense...
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  2. #32
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,910

    Default

    What can I say but that this is one of those things that holds us back.

    Any major problems that we don't seem to have the money and free hands necessary to manage? I'm sure you'll find some being wasted on the military budget. I can't help but thinking about that when we have to address things like healtchare, alternative energy, etc...

    Unfortuantey, there are very few things that are hard to get away with cutting in this country thatn military expenditures.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  3. #33
    Member themightybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    79

    Default

    @blackmail
    I doubt either country would be fighting over its homeland and therefore unlikely to use strategic nuclear weapons. A conflict with china might occur in taiwan,with russia possibly somewhere in the middle east.

    Yes, i realize such a situation is unlikely but i think it makes sense to be prepared,besides russia frequently sells military equipment to our enemies, mostly heavily downgraded versions of the russian models. If we allow our forces to stagnate even the heavily downgraded versions of russian aircraft in sufficient numbers might be able to effectively counter our f-15s.

    How much do you know about military technology and strategy anyway?If it is a field you are not familiar with its hard to make an educated comment on military spending. I dont know to what extent your knowledge in the field extends, but if it is limited it would be pointless to continue this debate.

    The f-35 is also not entirely entirely useless against the antiquated technology of the armies that we are likely to be fighting in the near future.The stealth technology enables it penetrate airspace that the f-15e, harrier,f-18,f-16, and f-15c cannot (the aircraft that are currently filling the role of the f-35). Its AESA radar also makes it impervious to all but superheterodyne RWRs.This would allow it to minimalize casualties when engaging increasingly sophisticated enemy aircraft.Its stovl ability also gives it alot of versatility under field conditions.

  4. #34
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Need to narrow this down to countries that are currently waging war.

  5. #35
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Need to narrow this down to countries that are currently waging war.
    They all are arent they? By fair means or foul, I reckon that there was a reason that Israel used Irish and British passports during that recent hit and it was about the roles of western spies and diplomats in the middle east

  6. #36
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by olly_olly View Post
    I'm sorry Fluffywolf but I just have to jump in here and say something.
    The U.S. is actually the twelfth poorest in the world (with number one being the poorest) out of 129 of the worlds countries. With 95.7% GDP owed to debt. That is the public sector (i.e. the population) but IDK how you want to interpret that info. And I'm sure the same probably goes for all the other countries, but a little something to think about you know? But I do support all of what you said. Your right though it just makes sense lol. Power is another topic though altogether, maybe it is that which we are trying to protect.

    The Debt I got from here, Debt - external - Country Comparison - TOP 100

    The GDP (Gross Domestic Product) from here, https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/us.html

    The Ranking from here [List of National Debt by Country | Economics Blog

    I took the debt from Top 100 site and divided it by the GDP from the CIA site, then looked at the List of National Debt site to see where we actually sit. (remember that I did not do this with all the 129 countries lol I simply used them where they were already)
    Feedback from anybody on this would be nice.
    Well, I look at it as a total amount of money/treasury. Not the country with the richest average household. In that sense, America is much richer, I reckon. Credit aside, it's obvious USA's debt is outragious, and the financial market corrupt, but that debt is not an active figure, at least not yet, and hopefully not anytime soon. Meanwhile, money is actively coming and going, and it's not going towards paying off their debts. Which nullifies the economical effect of the debt.


    Where did you get this info? did you make it up on the spot??
    You should do your homework before you state something as fact..

    the USA ranks 46th in the world according to the TRI (terrorism risk index)
    The top 10 countries are
    I did pretty much pull the figure out of my ass, but not without arguements to back up my claim though. So here's my reasoning. :P

    That USA is low on that list has everything to do with the fact that USA spends a lot of money on defense. There are far more people out to terrorise america than any other country, I believe, and if they had the oppertunity, you would see the effect. If USA wouldn't be protecting itself as it is now, I'm pretty sure USA will climb up on that list like mad.

    So, in the sense that I don't like the OP's posted pictures because those numbers don't show the entire picture. So does yours fail to show the entire picture.

    Fact remains, USA is a target in the minds of many people in many countries.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  7. #37
    Per Ardua Metamorphosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    A number of people clearly don't understand the concept of hegemony.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

    Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post




    Which has everything to do with the fact that USA spends a lot of money on defense. There are far more people out to terrorise america than any other country, if USA wouldn't be protecting itself as it is now, I'm pretty sure it will climb up on that list like mad.

    So, in the sense that I don't like the OP's posted pictures because those numbers don't show the entire picture. So does yours fail to show the entire picture.

    Fact remains, USA is a target in the minds of many people in many countries.
    The USA spends much more money on Military offense then it does on defense.. How many times has the USA been under direct threat of invasion??
    The USA military machine is an instrument of aggression not protection. To call it defense is just political spin..

    The majority of terrorism on US soil was homegrown.

    Now since you like the word "fact".. A fact is backed up by evidence . The evidence suggests that the USA is NOT a popular target for terrorism nor is it under a great risk of terrorism.
    How can you say the info I posted does not portray the whole picture?
    It was obviously researched using "facts" based on actual terrorist attacks .. not media and government driven fear mongering. It is not based on opinion, it is based an hard numbers.. which well.. you cant argue the "facts" of numbers, can you?
    To suggest that America's defense expenditures are the cause of it's low ranking as a terrorist target is pure speculation.
    America's military is a deterrent to war. and this is why most nations are not eager to declare war on the USA.
    Terrorism by it nature targets civilians. It is not a military operation but rather criminal in its definition.
    If the USA is under such a threat of terrorism. Then it should spend money on the Police and other local government agencies such as customs and the FBI.. Not the military.

    EDIT.. I see you admit to pulling that out of your ass.. Nice.. This is good!!

  9. #39
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Pax Americana.

    Each empire is different.

    The Roman empire was a military empire.
    The British empire was a territorial empire.
    And Islam is a religious empire.

    But the USA is not a military empire, nor a territorial empire nor even a religious empire. No, the USA is a mercantile empire that owns, controls and prints the Reserve Currency of the World.

    The USA military is simply an arm of American mercantilism.

    The USA military is a Keynesian flywheel in the economy.

  10. #40
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by No Exit View Post
    The USA spends much more money on Military offense then it does on defense.. How many times has the USA been under direct threat of invasion??
    The USA military machine is an instrument of aggression not protection. To call it defense is just political spin..

    The majority of terrorism on US soil was homegrown.

    Now since you like the word "fact".. A fact is backed up by evidence . The evidence suggests that the USA is NOT a popular target for terrorism nor is it under a great risk of terrorism.
    How can you say the info I posted does not portray the whole picture?
    It was obviously researched using "facts" based on actual terrorist attacks .. not media and government driven fear mongering. It is not based on opinion, it is based an hard numbers.. which well.. you cant argue the "facts" of numbers, can you?
    To suggest that America's defense expenditures are the cause of it's low ranking as a terrorist target is pure speculation.
    America's military is a deterrent to war. and this is why most nations are not eager to declare war on the USA.
    Terrorism by it nature targets civilians. It is not a military operation but rather criminal in its definition.
    If the USA is under such a threat of terrorism. Then it should spend money on the Police and other local government agencies such as customs and the FBI.. Not the military.
    Meta sort of beated you to it. The fact USA isn't under direct threat of invasion is due to hegemony. :P

    The fact that terorism on US soil is mostly homegrown is because it's pretty hard to smuggle in terrorists with weapons. And there is a whole lot spent on keeping the borders safe

    I agree that US is relatively safe from terorism, but that is due to their military dominance, intelligence and defense procedures. Had america not spent as much on their military dominance, the treat of invasion, terrorism and whatnot, which increase exponentially.

    This is an assumption from me, but I am willing to back it up 100%.

    I do like the word fact, but I don't like short sighted facts.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Similar Threads

  1. [SP] Do any other SPs get pissed the hell off on this forum?
    By brainheart in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 140
    Last Post: 09-24-2015, 09:23 AM
  2. INFP or INTP - keep getting different results on this
    By Grantus in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-23-2015, 01:23 PM
  3. [INTP] Can I get any insight from an INTP on this?
    By Evolving Transparency in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-11-2013, 08:30 PM
  4. Fe / Ti users: how can Te users best comment on your ideas or plans?
    By PeaceBaby in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-15-2010, 03:14 PM
  5. Can I get around this?
    By Kangirl in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-21-2009, 06:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO