12 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Designation:- Police Burgular

Exeter Police accused of trespass after 'burgling' 50 homes | Mail Online

I dont trust the Mail but I heard about this on BBC Radio 4, I think its over stepping the mark, the state, or at least the police force, cant teach responsibility and it probably shouldnt anyway.

Not only does it confuse the role of agencies like social services, corrections and others its ineffective in this role and something pretty out of step with all limited/constitutional thinking which I think is basically sound.

Phantonym

People learn from experience. But it's not really up to the police to teach people that. Their intentions were good but it turned out as usual.

I agree with this line in the end of the article:
    'Officers are there to enforce the law but that does not mean that they are above it.'
    My house was broken into a few years ago, nothing much was stolen but I still get an unpleasant feeling when walking up to my front door - is it locked or open, has it happened again? It's not about the stuff that is stolen, it's about the invasion of privacy and the psychological trauma that might be caused. If there happens to be a burglary, then people will learn from it anyway. Those who know better how to at least try to make their homes more secure will do it and those who don't...learn afterwards.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I remember a story from when I was at university, the student flats opposite the university were all robbed and among the stuff stolen was a pink ladies shell suit tracksuit, the belongings were returned a week or two afterward when they were all found the flat of a man living not far away who answered the door in the same pink ladies shell suit tracksuit when the police were making enquiries to see if anyone had seen anything suspiscious.

MBTI
    INTP

Wait a minute, doesn't British common-law mandate warrants or probable cause to enter someone's home, for any purpose!? "An Englishman's home is his castle," and all that? :steam:

MBTI
    NICE

Pink. An interesting colour.

I hear Lark has a black belt in kung-fu. The open hand...

More like a pink belt in loitering. Outside the men's toilets at Hampstead Heath.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Wow... they didn't think that one through.

"OMG I FEEEEEEEEEL SO INTENSELY ABOUT EVERYTHING OMG OMG OMG GET ME A XANAX" -Priam (ENFP impersonation)

MBTI
    INTJ

This is the problem of a disarmed population.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    This is the problem of a disarmed population.
    How dramatic off you.

This is hardly stalinism, what it is is a bunch of bleeding heart coppers playing dad to a group of first time away from home students who leave themselves very open to criminals.

In the radio debate about this the lawyer who was speaking on the topic said that under UK law anyone who was surprised by any of the officers would have been within their rights if they had been terrified and stabbed, shot or battered the officer. Unlikely since students in the UK arent generally that tough in comparison with most coppers.

To be honest I've sympathy with some of the arguments made by US citizens about private ownership of weapons, personal responsibility for weapons etc. but using every opportunity to pretend you're a kind of guerilla just makes it seem stupid and odd ball.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    How dramatic off you.

This is hardly stalinism, what it is is a bunch of bleeding heart coppers playing dad to a group of first time away from home students who leave themselves very open to criminals.

In the radio debate about this the lawyer who was speaking on the topic said that under UK law anyone who was surprised by any of the officers would have been within their rights if they had been terrified and stabbed, shot or battered the officer. Unlikely since students in the UK arent generally that tough in comparison with most coppers.

To be honest I've sympathy with some of the arguments made by US citizens about private ownership of weapons, personal responsibility for weapons etc. but using every opportunity to pretend you're a kind of guerilla just makes it seem stupid and odd ball.
    There's nothing guerilla about what I said. The interesting thing to me about the article was the fact that they felt perfectly comfortable breaking in to people's houses, especially for such a stupid reason. I personally don't think that should be the case. Maybe people over there are ok with that, though.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

When the going gets rough, and there isn't time, you don't have time for bureaucratic niceties like warrants.
    People who get all hot and bothered screaming about things being unconstitutional...
    Well, you should probably go get a lesson in real life criminals.
    When cops do something bad, it goes up in the headlines at an instant and gets blown up into huge proportions.

Happens every once in a while, but don't you think that with all those cops around there should be more incidents such as this if they weren't really professional?
    Seriously, you owe the fact that you can sleep with relative calm without paying bloody guards - who fore that matter might rob you - to stand watch over your sleeping body so you wouldn't get robbed, raped or killed or some combination of that.

Without the coppers ability to enforce shit against the damn lowlives, we have anarchy.
    The police forces of the western democracies have too many restraints as it is.
    We should appreciate what these men and women do a bit more, I think.

Just my few cents.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come