User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    What is bad?
    A married couple where the man works and the female raises the kids. Now we know that she should be out there working too so that she can be equal. Winning bread is the higher calling, after all.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Fortunately, we now know that this is bad.
    Whether its good or bad is really beside the point; what is unclear is whether and in what way this affects the gender equality numbers according to the yet-to-be-ascertained methodology the study employs.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Whether its good or bad is really beside the point; what is unclear is whether and in what way this affects the gender equality numbers according to the yet-to-be-ascertained methodology the study employs.
    My point was the relationship between gender equality numbers and actual gender equality. I don't see how that's beside the point at all.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

A married couple where the man works and the female raises the kids. Now we know that she should be out there working too so that she can be equal. Winning bread is the higher calling, after all.
    Sarcasm?

(I honestly have trouble telling tone)

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    Gender equality leads to population decline. I'm all for it!
    Population decline is going to ruin society. We need more young people or Social Security and Medicare are going to bankrupt us.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTP

My point was the relationship between gender equality numbers and actual gender equality. I don't see how that's beside the point at all.
    If the homemakers who choose not to work are included among the statistical averages, then the gender equality indicators are false. If homemakers (and stay-at-home dads) are kept out of the equation altogether, then there is no methodological bias on that issue. That was my point.

Another issue is whether length of continuous employment is accounted for when comparing male-to-female wages; if lots of women are periodically taking a year or two off from the workforce, then higher average wages for males has, at least in large part, a cause purely unrelated to gender equality. It also might explain the disparity between female professionals and their lower-skilled counterparts; the latter's jobs are often for the purpose of supplementary income, rather than careers.

The methodology is just so unclear, both for single indicators and for the way aggregate scores are determined. The ways in which political indicators are used makes me dubious about the entire study.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Population decline is going to ruin society. We need more young people or Social Security and Medicare are going to bankrupt us.
    You know, we could combat the problem from that end. . .
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck
    I find it interesting that in 2008 in the United States, female professional and technical workers made substantially more money than their male counterparts. Is there a similar disparity in other countries? Why such different statistics for professional and technical workers versus other professions? I really need to find out more about the methodology used for the non-political indicators before giving an opinion on those aspects of the study.
    Not sure where you're getting that from. *Ratio* of females employed in those sectors is higher. But earnings aren't sector-specific. Figures given are $25.6k for females vs $40k for males. One has to question why such a highly educated (many more women than men enroled in tertiary education), skilled workforce is paid little over half what their male counterparts are earning.
    Regarding data sources/methodology:
    The Report examines four critical areas of inequality between men and women in 130 economies around the globe, over 92% of the worlds population:

1. Economic participation and opportunity outcomes on salaries, participation levels and access to high-skilled employment
    2. Educational attainment outcomes on access to basic and higher level education
    3. Political empowerment outcomes on representation in decision-making structures
    4. Health and survival outcomes on life expectancy and sex ratio
    Thirteen out of the 14 variables used to create the Index are from publicly available hard data indicators from international organizations, such as the International Labour Organization, the United Nations Development Programme and the World Health Organization.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Not sure where you're getting that from. *Ratio* of females employed in those sectors is higher. But earnings aren't sector-specific. Figures given are $25.6k for females vs $40k for males.

Regarding data sources/methodology:
    1.) Fair enough, i misread that indicator.

2.) In other words, I would have to research several different organizations to know the methodology behind individual indicators. Great.

As for the aggregate, are all indicators weighted equally?
    Last edited by lowtech redneck; 03-30-2010 at 10:11 PM. Reason: wrong word

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post

As for the aggregate, are all indicators weighted equally?
    I'm sure you can read as well as I.
    An unweighted average of subindex scores is used to calculate the overall index.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.