User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Not bullshit. Your thread title implies the US is going backwards. It is not. The difference (0.718 to 0.717) is so small, it's statistically irrelevant. There is, what appears to be, a statistically relevant increase since 2006 (much more than 0.001).

Any of those other titles would be fine since they are factually correct.
    Why are you being so defensive then? Relative to the rest of the world, it is going backwards. That's what "slipping" means. At least it is moving in the opposite direction from the one the report authors have deemed desirable. Maybe you don't agree that equality is a good thing. You're entitled to that opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard
    Actually, considering a lot of the US's other rankings, 31 isn't bad.
    There are interesting correlations that can be drawn. Interesting to me at any rate. You guys only seem to care about colours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Maybe you don't agree that equality is a good thing. You're entitled to that opinion..
    Yeah, we have a winner, why didn't you just post that in the beginning and save us the time? That's exactly what you think Americans think, am I right?
    Ground control to Major Tom

MBTI
    ENFJ

There are interesting correlations that can be drawn. Interesting to me at any rate. You guys only seem to care about colours.
    We care about accuracy in representation of data, while you seem only to look at the ideals behind them.

We consider .001 to be statistically insignificant, especially if this was looking at income inequality, well, the gigantic job loss between the two years may have something to do with it.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Interesting topic.
    http://www.weforum.org/pdf/gendergap...itedStates.pdf

What do you think are the reasons for this gap? Lack of opportunity, or lack of interest?

Didnt really expand on what that economic incentive might be. Is there one?
    I wasn't asking about equality in general, I was referring specifically to the political empowerment stats, e.g % of women in political power. Are women not interested in holding these positions in the US? If so, why? If not, what are the barriers?
    I wonder if it has to do with the way politicians come into power in the different countries. How are people elected? How important is campaigning? Are people appointed? Are there different quotas?

I suspect that may have something to do with the campaign process itself. What I mean is that there are certainly at least SOME psychological difference (in terms of trends, not in an absolute sense) between males and females - though there's not really any way to determine how much of that is due to socialization and how much to genetics or other biological components. I lean more toward socialization, personally. However, regardless of that, part of the discrepancy *COULD have to do with the way men and women - generally, not specifically - might respond to an intense political campaign and the ways that they come across in such a campaign. It seems as though it is difficult for a woman (who is expected to behave and react certain ways or to have certain mannerisms in order to be perceived as womanly) to come off as graceful in a political debate. Similar, I suspect, to what lowtech redneck was saying earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    women who don't fit the "nurturing" stereotype come across as bitches to both male and female voters.
    It's easy for an assertive woman to be perceived as "bitchy," whereas a man who is comparably assertive would just be seen as assertive. I think that our current campaign-style election is problematic in this respect.

However, perhaps women are at less of a disadvantage in other political systems, which might be less campaign/advertising-oriented and depend less on things like televised debates and that sort of process.

Ugh... I don't know if I'm making any sense.

MBTI
    INTP

This is a good point. In the US it's possibly still more affordable to have single-income families than other parts of the developed world?
    Possibly; about a decade ago I think I read that the "traditional" family (married biological mother and father, the latter works in the formal sector, the other doesn't) still made up about 25%* of families. I don't know what the numbers are for other countries.

I find it interesting that in 2008 in the United States, female professional and technical workers made substantially more money than their male counterparts. Is there a similar disparity in other countries? Why such different statistics for professional and technical workers versus other professions? I really need to find out more about the methodology used for the non-political indicators before giving an opinion on those aspects of the study.

*I still have that textbook somewhere, if I can find it I'll edit this post accordingly.

Edit: forget the opening paragraph, my memory was faulty; the article concerned "traditional" families and had the 25% figure, but it was about a different statistic. The percentage of married, single-income households is not mentioned.
    Last edited by lowtech redneck; 03-30-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: self-evident

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I find Sri Lanka curious. They're ranked 16th, and if you look at their chart, they clearly have problems across the board. But they've had a female head of state for 23 of the last 50 years. This seems strange. They're terrible in most categories, except one that just happens to be a category most other countries haven't done well in.

http://www.weforum.org/pdf/gendergap...ri%20Lanka.pdf
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    about a decade ago I think I read that the "traditional" family (married biological mother and father, the latter works in the formal sector, the other doesn't) still made up about 25%* of families. I don't know what the numbers are for other countries.
    Fortunately, we now know that this is bad.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    However, perhaps women are at less of a disadvantage in other political systems, which might be less campaign/advertising-oriented and depend less on things like televised debates and that sort of process.
    ...or maybe the "ideal" of womanhood is different in different cultures?

(I am quoting myself. Is that allowed? heh heh heh...)

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Fortunately, we now know that this is bad.
    What is bad?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Why are you being so defensive then? Relative to the rest of the world, it is going backwards. That's what "slipping" means.
    Anyone who has ever tried to lose weight, or write a book, or play an instrument, or play sports, or, really, do anything difficult, knows that it is not a straight line progression. You have your good days and you have your bad days, but the trend is things are getting better.

Are you telling us that the US is the only country that has ever had a "bad" year and slipped up .001 points on a year that was very difficult for the country as a whole? Because if that were the case, I'd find it pretty shocking.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge