User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I can't hep but feel like the avenue of legitimate criticism of Morgan's thread has been hijacked by people who are sensitive about the American ego.
    Srsly.
    I have to tell you that he may not have technically done anything wrong up this point.
    Oh no? I've been given a thread ban for telling someone to "grow up" before. Guess I'm not American enough to get away with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Can someone do something about the hostile derailer/heckler in this thread please? Report post apparently isn't working.

Terrible...

Isn't it.

MBTI
    INTP

And I struggle to understand what a printing error (or possibly a malicious wiki edit? for the conspiracy theorists!) has to do with the study's methodology.
    If it is a printing error/malicious wiki edit, then nothing. The map was presented as being representative of the study's conclusions, and I replied on the assumption that such was the case. I raised objections about the political variables before I even noticed the map.

MBTI
    ENFJ

No, I just seriously take issue with the representation of the map -- because the mind naturally goes to the pretty pictures and colors, you have to be careful about what the pretty pictures and colors say.

If you look at the map, the US could very well be one tick under, say, France or the UK. The map gives very little indication about this away from the key, because blue and yellow contrast so vividly.

I don't think one can say "oooh boo hiss US is like Pakistan" because, well, look at some of the other countries in yellow -- Canada, Portugal, the Netherlands, Cuba... it seems to me that the "yellow" over Pakistan is an indication that something weird is going on in Pakistan rather than the US being bad and evil and Pakistani, considering that many of the surrounding countries are three ticks in gradient lower and the one that isn't is/was Communist (China isn't entirely clear on that).

If I wanted to assume the best of this map, I'd assume that there is no green on it to match the gradient because of possible readers of the map of color blindness -- however, that's quite sexist, don't you think?

Upon further inspection -- the countries listed under "blue" could have an "equality" rating from .82 to .72 -- a 10-point gap. Countries listed from yellow, to, er, salmon, I guess, are rated from .71 to .60-- an 11 point gap, however the first gap is only listed between two colors while the second is between four. Think about this for a moment -- the difference between New Zealand and France could be the difference between Canada and Algeria! Incredible, isn't it?

Forget what I said about color-blindness, it definitely looks like this map is the product of propaganda, and it looks like the US is not its only victim.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I'm going to remove the map from the OP since it shouldn't be the focus of the thread and I'm sure Pakistan doesn't want to be allied with the US either. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The problem is your thread title. It's factually incorrect. Your failure to admit this fact leads me (and probably others) to believe you have a nefarious agenda.
    Bullshit. It's w i d e r, than it was a year ago, deal with it.

I could have said "USA beaten by Lithuania in World Gender Gap Ranking" or "USA ranked 31st in World for Gender Equality in 2009" or "USA slips in Global Gender Gap Index; Iceland leads the pack" (courtesy Forbes) Which would you prefer?

MBTI
    ENFJ

I'm going to remove the map from the OP since it shouldn't be the focus of the thread and I'm sure Pakistan doesn't want to be allied with the US either. :P

Then I'm going to put the map right here. Because I think it needs to be a part of the discussion.

I'm just wondering what's up with Pakistan, though. That yellow group is one of the smallest ones there, with only .01 of a point difference. Do we have any Pakistanis here? Does anybody know what's going on with equality in Pakistan?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Bullshit. It's w i d e r, than it was a year ago, deal with it.

I could have said "USA beaten by Lithuania in World Gender Gap Ranking" or "USA ranked 31st in World for Gender Equality in 2009" or "USA slips in Global Gender Gap Index; Iceland leads the pack" (courtesy Forbes) Which would you prefer?
    Not bullshit. Your thread title implies the US is going backwards. It is not. The difference (0.718 to 0.717) is so small, it's statistically irrelevant. There is, what appears to be, a statistically relevant increase since 2006 (much more than 0.001).

Any of those other titles would be fine since they are factually correct.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENFJ

Actually, considering a lot of the US's other rankings, 31 isn't bad.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Not bullshit. Your thread title implies the US is going backwards. It is not. The difference (0.718 to 0.717) is so small, it's statistically irrelevant. There is, what appears to be, a statistically relevant increase since 2006 (much more than 0.001).

Any of those other titles would be fine since they are factually correct.
    Considering the shit going on here between 2008 and 2009, I don't think one can blame a .001 shift "backwards".

Maybe the statistician is just pissed that Senator Clinton didn't get elected president?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I'm just wondering what's up with Pakistan, though. That yellow group is one of the smallest ones there, with only .01 of a point difference. Do we have any Pakistanis here? Does anybody know what's going on with equality in Pakistan?
    Then you should read the thread and/or the report. It shouldn't be yellow.