User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    In and of itself? No.
    I think it's kind of damning. But I don't have any evidence to suggest that it is incorrect.
    Try looking at some of the official laws, female literacy rates, and rates of violence toward women as indicators.

Scandinavia probably does have a more egalitarian culture, in terms women's roles and expectations, than the United States as well as most other countries, but the methodology of this study is defective and misleading.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    It seems here a more glaring issue, though, because the rest of the graph appears to be done on a gradient from red to yellow, and then suddenly it jumps to blue. You would think that for increased accuracy the "most equal" countries would be in yellow-green to green, not suddenly BLUE.
    Informing was a secondary objective of the creator of the map, the primary objective was spreading propaganda.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Informing was a secondary objective of the creator of the map, the primary objective was spreading propaganda.
    I see.

I don't know. If we are going by elected officials, then yes in the US the men outnumber the women, though this may be due to disinterest, and also wives of elected men often do activism and fundraising and etc. along with her husband. I am not sure if this is indicative of "women's inequality" so much as it is of oligarchism and nepotism and stuff like that, though.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    It seems here a more glaring issue, though, because the rest of the graph appears to be done on a gradient from red to yellow, and then suddenly it jumps to blue. You would think that for increased accuracy the "most equal" countries would be in yellow-green to green, not suddenly BLUE.
    Jeez. Why is this important again? Forget the bloody map!

I see you completely ignored my response to this question. I'm starting to think your agenda is more important to you than truth.
    What? Where? What is my agenda? Most of the membership here is based in the US, yes? That's why I highlighted US data. The data for the UK is less than promising too, but I doubt anyone here much cares about that. Why can't you put your paranoia aside for a moment and just answer the question or get out of the thread?
    EDIT. This?
    I think they are at the top of the list because they are very homogeneous. I'm amazed at how often this aspect of society is overlooked or outright ignored.
    This doesn't really mean anything to me. Perhaps you can explain the relevance?
    And it doesn't answer the question which was a response to lowtech's assertion that women are too nurturing for politics.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Read my first post; the political and electoral system in Scandinavian countries make it easy for political elites so inclined to artificially manipulate the results. Sometimes its official (such as in Pakistan), and sometimes its due to party ideology (which might be the case in Scandinavia, I forget if any of those countries made it law).
    What do you mean by "artificially manipulate the results"? Are you suggesting that Scandinavian countries are undemocratic?

Try looking at some of the official laws, female literacy rates, and rates of violence toward women as indicators.

Scandinavia probably does have a more egalitarian culture, in terms women's roles and expectations, than the United States as well as most other countries, but the methodology of this study is defective and misleading.
    The report does cover literacy and legislation. Start another thread if you want to highlight different issues (and I don't think you'll find violence against women stats particularly encouraging either).

Highlight what is defective or shut up about it already. Just repeating "it's defective because I don't believe it" doesn't wash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INFJ

Why should we compare ourselves to other countries with different cultures? Who was looking to swing their mighty e-peen with this data and graphical representation?
    Ground control to Major Tom

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Why should we compare ourselves to other countries with different cultures?
    Then don't. Just look at the raw data. Is gender inequality even a concern for you guys? Seems xenophobia is a bigger one. :rolli:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP

What do you mean by "artificially manipulate the results"? Are you suggesting that Scandinavian countries are undemocratic?

Highlight what is defective or shut up about it already. Just repeating "it's defective because I don't believe it" doesn't wash.
    1.) I'm suggesting that the party leadership chooses the candidates, and mandates that a minimum percentage of them are women. The voters democratically choose a set of political elites running under a national party platform, but not representatives beholden to a specific constituency who must win votes on their own merits.

2.) I already highlighted one defective aspect of the study in question, and listed indicators illustrating why listing Pakistan and the United States in the same group in terms of gender equality is indicative of a defective and/or misleading study overall. Your protestations are more than a little ridiculous.

MBTI
    INFJ

Then don't. Just look at the raw data. Is gender inequality even a concern for you guys? Seems xenophobia is a bigger one. :rolli:
    It's not a matter of xenophobia, it's a matter of comparing a bunch of homogeneous cultures to an extremely diverse one. We do things differently, if its not good enough we will get there in time, until then Europe can mind their own beeswax.

MBTI
    INTP

And it doesn't answer the question which was a response to lowtech's assertion that women are too nurturing for politics.
    Way to twist my words around.

MBTI
    INFJ

1.) I'm suggesting that the party leadership chooses the candidates, and mandates that a minimum percentage of them are women. The voters democratically choose a set of political elites running under a national party platform, but not representatives beholden to a specific constituency who must win votes on their own merits.

2.) I already highlighted one defective aspect of the study in question, and listed indicators illustrating why listing Pakistan and the United States in the same group in terms of gender equality is indicative of a defective and/or misleading study overall. Your protestations are more than a little ridiculous.
    Just seems like they cherry picked a bunch of specific and obvious statistics to illustrate a difference between a bunch of apples and oranges, are the apples better then the oranges? Who cares why compare? How can you compare? Why don't we compare something else completely cherry picked, how about average refrigerator sizes, the USA wins! Our Fridge E-peens are bigger and better!