User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Are the Nordic countries at the top of the list because they have successful economies, or do they have successful economies because they are at the top of the list?
    I think they are at the top of the list because they are very homogeneous. I'm amazed at how often this aspect of society is overlooked or outright ignored.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I study itself appears to be highly misleading and/or defective; one doesn't have to be a huge proponent of the United States to find something wrong with a study that links Pakistan in the same grouping as the United States in terms of gender equality.
    You don't think the World Economic Forum is a credible source? Feel free to point out the errors in methodology.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    According to the PDF:

USA INDEX
    2006: .704
    2007: .700
    2008: .718
    2009: .717

So apparently the US declined by .004 in 2007 from 2006, then leaped up a whopping .018 (!) the next year. The following year, is has only dropped .001 ... less than the decline a few years ago.

True, then: Hard to tell if that means anything at all.
    Kinda beside the point. You're 31st- behind Lithuania, FFS!
    Also 2/3rds of the countries in the study are improving year on year. The US is in the third of those moving in the wrong direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP

Are women not interested in holding these positions in the US? If so, why? If not, what are the barriers?
    In addition to what I mentioned earlier (which I think is more important regarding differences between countries):

Women who fit the "nurturing" stereotype generally don't like rough 'n' tumble campaigns, while women who don't fit the "nurturing" stereotype come across as bitches to both male and female voters. Which reason is more responsible? Your guess is as good as mine.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Kinda beside the point. You're 31st- behind Lithuania, FFS!
    I was comparing it to the title, which said the "gap widened," so I thought it relevant to note that the gap at least in the US scores might not signify anything at all internally... since that's what you I thought you were referring to.

If we're going to focus on the international ranking instead, then certainly.

I'd probably worry more after another year or two passes and things don't change. It's hard to establish a pattern over just a few years (since it seems to have been fluctuating), it could just be flux in how things are ranked, what questions are asked, influx in population... lots of noise. Hell, the economy has been throwing everything out of whack.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

You don't think the World Economic Forum is a credible source? Feel free to point out the errors in methodology.
    You're appealing to authority now; do you think linking the United States in the same group as Pakistan is an indicator that something is wrong with the methodology, or not?
    Last edited by lowtech redneck; 03-30-2010 at 04:15 PM. Reason: forgot a word

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

In addition to what I mentioned earlier (which I think is more important regarding differences between countries):

Women who fit the "nurturing" stereotype generally don't like rough 'n' tumble campaigns, while women who don't fit the "nurturing" stereotype come across as bitches to both male and female voters. Which reason is more responsible? Your guess is as good as mine.
    Why doesn't this happen in Scandinavia?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

You're appealing to authority now;
    I'm not appealing to anything. I'm presenting some statistics and asking for responses to them.
    do you think linking the United States in the same group as Pakistan is an indicator that something is wrong with the methodology, or not?
    In and of itself? No.
    I think it's kind of damning. But I don't have any evidence to suggest that it is incorrect.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, true. This was the issue when they did the red/blue USA maps to signify democratic and republican strongholds in the 2000 and 2004 elections. An entire county could be colored red or blue, and yet a red county could just be signifying that the balance of the county was just 51% red vs 49% blue.

(This is the same problem we've had with rating one's MBTI score -- e.g., just because you answer T for 95% of the questions vs F, it doesn't mean your T has a strength of 95%; you might still only be 51% T vs 49% F in terms of actual function strength, barely T at all.)
    It seems here a more glaring issue, though, because the rest of the graph appears to be done on a gradient from red to yellow, and then suddenly it jumps to blue. You would think that for increased accuracy the "most equal" countries would be in yellow-green to green, not suddenly BLUE.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTP

Read my first post; the political and electoral system in Scandinavian countries make it easy for political elites so inclined to artificially manipulate the results. Sometimes its official (such as in Pakistan), and sometimes its due to party ideology (which might be the case in Scandinavia, I forget if any of those countries made it law).

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I see you completely ignored my response to this question. I'm starting to think your agenda is more important to you than truth.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."