First 31112131415 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    No it really isn't. A lot of people have a huge misconception about our planet's population. The population of industrialized countries in no way endangers our planet.

What is a danger is the amount of natural resources that the average person uses in an industrialized country. A gradual increase or decrease in population is not really going to affect this. What is going to change is that resources are going to run out and costs are going to go up for a variety of necessities. There are some scenarios where this process is less painful than others, but it's going to happen eventually regardless of what happens to population growth rates and demographics.
    Well, yeah, that's right, if you consider the scenario on an extremely long-term basis, then we're going to run out of a given resource, sooner or later.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    In 2009 we had a record number of women in congress. And a woman currently leads the House of Representatives. And a woman is Sec. of State.

So we're behind much of the developed world, but heading in a more equal direction, if we're going to be fair about this.
    We were also pretty close to having a female president (Hillary probably would have beaten McCain).
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    That's the fault of American women. They can vote and are the majority.
    They can vote, but can they stand?

In 2009 we had a record number of women in congress. And a woman currently leads the House of Representatives. And a woman is Sec. of State.

So we're behind much of the developed world, but heading in a more equal direction, if we're going to be fair about this.
    What is the reason for the gap though? Is it related to role models? It seems that being the wife of someone powerful is held up as some kind of great achievement in the US (rather than actually wielding power directly). More so than elsewhere, I'd have said. We really don't rate spouses of the powerful in Europe; more often than not, they are objects of derision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The only way this is true is you have some absurd definition of "poor", one that excludes Latin America. Regardless, "poor" was not the best word choice. I should have been more descriptive and said something like "less socially liberal" or "socially traditional" since that is a pretty common trait among poor nations, but I got lazy, thinking people would understand what I meant.
    Nonetheless, you're still wrong (as usual).

You have Latin America, we have North Africa, India and Middle East.

---

When will you learn to be precise and not vague? When will you stop half-baked ideas and demagogy, and start being more scientifically accurate?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    What is the reason for the gap though? Is it related to role models? It seems that being the wife of someone powerful is held up as some kind of great achievement in the US (rather than actually wielding power directly). More so than elsewhere, I'd have said. We really don't rate spouses of the powerful in Europe; more often than not, they are objects of derision.
    So a Hillary Clinton type would never have made it in Europe?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

What did she make?

We are less given to nepotism I'd say. But we've had enough years of stupid monarchy to figure out that inbreeding is generally a bad idea.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

We had Thatcher in Britain, worse luck.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Nonetheless, you're still wrong (as usual).

You have Latin America, we have North Africa, India and Middle East.

---

When will you learn to be precise and not vague? When will you stop half-baked ideas and demagogy, and start being more scientifically accurate?
    Care to post your source?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    We had Thatcher in Britain, worse luck.
    It's interesting. She's probably the most hated person in our recent political history. How much of that is because she was a woman, I wonder? I mean look at Major - every bit as incompetent but he never seemed to be subject to the venom reserved for the Iron Lady.
    Looks like the Tories are winning the recent polls, so it seems the country has forgiven the party, at least.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    If I had known you were going to participate, I could have written this post for you. Your opinion of white males is well known on this forum.
    I can't believe you actually took that bait. lulz

I don't know what "shit" you're talking about. The US is only about 0.01-0.02 behind most of Europe, and the US ranks AHEAD of most European countries on the economic part of the analysis. The US is also tied for first in education, according to the charts.
    Our shitty school system and the fact that we're the only developed country in the world with these issues of denying large segments of the population adequate healthcare, that's the shit I'm talking about.

I do believe the US would be higher on the economic list if it didn't have so many immigrants from poor countries.
    1) We're all immigrants.

2) France and England both have quite significant poor immigrant populations. I'm not sure what you think any of this has to do with immigrants.

They bring a different culture with them, one that is less open to women fully participating in the work force. Many female immigrants have part time jobs as unskilled laborers, but it's uncommon for them to try to improve their standing.
    Many poor white and black American women have part-time jobs as unskilled laborers. Women who want to be at home with their kids often elect to not "improve their standing" because they view family as more important.

The males, on the other hand, don't have the same cultural limitations placed on them.
    This is so not about immigrants.

As for your comment about rich white males having stay-at-home wives, it's not just white males who do this, and it's not just Americans, either.
    You're funny. I never said there was anything wrong with being a stay-at-home wife. In fact, I think a lot of people would be better off if mothers stayed with their children. In fact, Americans seem to be less likely to be stay at home mothers.