User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    With all due respect, what are you 14? That's not a woman.
    Maybe you're content now that you're a part of an education system that seems to favour your gender (surprised no one has questioned the apparent bias against males - gender equality works both ways). But what happens when you graduate and you get a job where you're working beside a guy with the same (or fewer qualifications) who is earning 30% more? Still happy? How do you redress that without the right support systems and legislature? What about when he gets promoted above you because of his gender, still happy? Or maybe you leave to have a baby but struggle to get back into work because there just isn't any support for working mothers, still happy?
    Live a little, then tell me that I'm the one with the skewed perspective.
    That doesn't happen right after graduation, pay is basically equal at that point. The gap widens with age. There certainly are cases of blatant gender bias, but for the most part, women get paid less because pregnancy slows their career advancement. This is less of an issue in Europe, where they aren't having children at the replacement rate, but in the US, people have more children.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

With all due respect, what are you 14? That's not a woman.
    Maybe you're content now that you're a part of an education system that seems to favour your gender (surprised no one has questioned the apparent bias against males - gender equality works both ways). But what happens when you graduate and you get a job where you're working beside a guy with the same (or fewer qualifications) who is earning 30% more? Still happy? How do you redress that without the right support systems and legislature? What about when he gets promoted above you because of his gender, still happy? Or maybe you leave to have a baby but struggle to get back into work because there just isn't any support for working mothers, still happy?
    Live a little, then tell me that I'm the one with the skewed perspective.
    Wow... resorting to an age attack? You don't even live here, so you don't have the perspective you feel she lacks because of her age.

"OMG I FEEEEEEEEEL SO INTENSELY ABOUT EVERYTHING OMG OMG OMG GET ME A XANAX" -Priam (ENFP impersonation)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

It's not an attack. She's just young and inexperienced. Nothing wrong with that.
    Also. 1) I have and 2) I can read. Can you?

When did you guys get so defensive? Was it post 9/11 or was it ever thus?
    I'll tell you a secret: not everyone is out to get you. Don't believe the hype.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Well, the alternative is the earth bankrputing us.
    No it really isn't. A lot of people have a huge misconception about our planet's population. The population of industrialized countries in no way endangers our planet.

What is a danger is the amount of natural resources that the average person uses in an industrialized country. A gradual increase or decrease in population is not really going to affect this. What is going to change is that resources are going to run out and costs are going to go up for a variety of necessities. There are some scenarios where this process is less painful than others, but it's going to happen eventually regardless of what happens to population growth rates and demographics.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Young women in large US cities are actually starting to out-earn men.

For Young Earners in Big City, a Gap in Womens Favor - NYTimes.com

When we're talking about US gender disparity, we're really talking more about backwards rural America than urban.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Actually, the US is above average on every key measure, apart from political empowerment. It's below average on that. That reflects national as well as regional attitudes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Actually, the US is above average on every key measure, apart from political empowerment. It's below average on that. That reflects national as well as regional attitudes.
    That's the fault of American women. They can vote and are the majority.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    We're often compared to Europe in these sorts of studies, but I don't think that comparison is really fair. The US has far more immigration from poor countries than any European country (perhaps more than all European countries combined? I'm not sure). Those people tend to be more traditional (wife stays at home with the kids, etc).
    Wrong (as often)

USA: 8 million immigrants from poor countries (2009)
    UE: 14.3 million immigrants from poor countries (2001)
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

In 2009 we had a record number of women in congress. And a woman currently leads the House of Representatives. And a woman is Sec. of State.

So we're behind much of the developed world, but heading in a more equal direction, if we're going to be fair about this.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Wrong (as often)

USA: 8 million immigrants from poor countries (2009)
    UE: 14.3 million immigrants from poor countries (2001)
    The only way this is true is you have some absurd definition of "poor", one that excludes Latin America. Regardless, "poor" was not the best word choice. I should have been more descriptive and said something like "less socially liberal" or "socially traditional" since that is a pretty common trait among poor nations, but I got lazy, thinking people would understand what I meant.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."