User Tag List

First 345

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Doesnt sound like she has been negligent or contributed to the problem, there are parents who are either so apathetic or blinkered that they have facilitated the child developing into a complete villain. They are responsible for that.

So far as criminalising them goes I'd really have to ask what it would achieve, is it likely to placate the victims family or out raged others? Not likely, is it likely to effect the bullying or anti-social kid themselves? Not likely, the damage is done, they've developed that way and it cant be undeveloped, not really.

Its not something I'd generalise about, its a great case by case thing, in the main I really and truly do not generalise about children, no two are alike in my experience and I hate it when people either minimise or generalise in relation to them.
    This sounds a bit different from bullying in the way people tend to think about bullying. The lone, physically large, ill-adjusted child who picks on those who seem weaker.

This sounds like group mobbing. Attacking someone they have labeled as a scapegoat and done in a group, by a group with the social approval and support of that group. These are not "misfit" children doing the attacking. They are popular teens who have social clout within that school.

Especially for the 17 and 18 year olds, if there was actual physical assualt, let them stand trial and face their sentences. Seventeen is old enough to know better than to physically attack a fifteen year old. These people are about to step out into soceity, if they can't control their rage, then they need corrective action. And let it be a fear factor for other seventeen and eighteen year olds, you can't go around assualting people just because you don't like them or because it makes you feel better to believe someone inferior to yourself.

Mom of boy who killed himself near where suicide teen Phoebe Prince lived blames the schools

The mother of a Massachusetts 11-year-old who killed himself after being mercilessly taunted as "gay" blames the schools for failing to protect her boy and teen Phoebe Prince from what is being called "bullycide."

"At some level, the school has to have responsibility for their level of inaction," said Sirdeaner Walker.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

What really happened to Phoebe Prince? (1) - By Emily Bazelon - Slate Magazine

My investigation into the events that gave rise to Phoebe's death, based on extensive interviews and review of law enforcement records, reveals the uncomfortable fact that Phoebe helped set in motion the conflicts with other students that ended in them turning on her. Her death was tragic, and she shouldn't have been bullied. But she was deeply troubled long before she ever met the six defendants. And her own behavior made other students understandably upset.

I've wrestled with how much of this information to publish. Phoebe's family has suffered terribly. But when the D.A. charged kids with causing Phoebe's death and threatened them with prison, she invited an inquiry into other potential causes. The whole story is a lot more complicated than anyone has publicly allowed for. The events that led to Phoebe's death show how hard it is for kids, parents, and schools to cope with bullying, especially when the victim is psychologically vulnerable. The charges against the students show how strong the impulse is to point fingers after a suicide, how hard it is to assess blame fairly, and how ill-suited police and prosecutors can be to punishing bullies.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    This sounds a bit different from bullying in the way people tend to think about bullying. The lone, physically large, ill-adjusted child who picks on those who seem weaker.

This sounds like group mobbing. Attacking someone they have labeled as a scapegoat and done in a group, by a group with the social approval and support of that group. These are not "misfit" children doing the attacking. They are popular teens who have social clout within that school.
    Bullies only act alone in movies from the 1980s.

When I was in school, if you couldn't find yourself a pack, you were a target. Being a loner for several years, I can say that it seriously sucked. That was a long time ago, and it seems to only be getting worse.

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    Since they are minors, I think their parents should be charged as well.

Afteral, those kids had to learn that type of behavior somewhere.
    Um, no.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    INFP

In this day and age, the amount of teaching done by parents interaction compared to the amount of interaction in schools and others....should seriously make people think where people learn things nowadays.