First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

That's Ohio, right?

We have laws passed that don't get followed through, unfortunately.

Like laws that prevent age discrimination in the work force. Still happens.

Looks good on paper, just not in 'actual' application, sorta like sugar-coating shit.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by kiddykat View Post
    That's Ohio, right?

We have laws passed they don't get followed through, unfortunately.

Looks good on paper, just not in 'actual' application, sorta like sugar-coating shit.
    I don't think that's a good comparison.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by kiddykat View Post
    That's Ohio, right?

We have laws passed that don't get followed through, unfortunately.

"'A lack of understanding of harassment associated with teen dating relationships seems to have been prevalent at South Hadley High School,' said Scheibel. 'That, in turn, brought an inconsistent interpretation in enforcement in the schools code of conduct when incidents were observed and reported.'"

So, four students and two faculty members reported the abuse, and the school code enforcers were too confused to do anything about it? Is that their argument? 6 people cry "harassment," and they're not sure whether or not it qualifies as harassment. Horray for the brilliant people running our schools!

"OMG I FEEEEEEEEEL SO INTENSELY ABOUT EVERYTHING OMG OMG OMG GET ME A XANAX" -Priam (ENFP impersonation)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I have a question and I want to be very delicate about asking it, because I certainly do not want to engage in any blaming of victims (and Phoebe's parents are victims as well, since they lost their daughter). I just can't fathom why her parents didn't take her out of that school?
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

heart on fire

^ Maybe they believed "You got to let her learn to deal with socialization processes and to get along with others" and you gotta learn to work with the system not against it and all that.

Nine students charged in death - BostonHerald.com

Yet, Northwestern District Attorney Elizabeth D. Scheibel said South Hadley High School staffers may have left 15-year-old Prince to fend for herself in a teenage jungle, but they broke no laws...
    If the school isn't responsible for keeping children in line during school hours, who is?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I have a question and I want to be very delicate about asking it, because I certainly do not want to engage in any blaming of victims (and Phoebe's parents are victims as well, since they lost their daughter). I just can't fathom why her parents didn't take her out of that school?
    I'd question if they were aware, and if they were how serious they thought it was. Bullying is something that has escalated over the past few generations imo, what they consider bullying based on their experiences may not have been her reality, I'm also sure that many children would not share those kind of experiences with their parents.

Or what Heart said, they may have thought it would be a strengthening thing or even trusted the school to keep it in check.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Until school officials are held accountable in a serious way, it's not going to change significantly.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

heart on fire

If more parents of minor children were sued in civil courts for damages (group harassment seems to take place where the more well-off children attack the less well off) then more parents might be serious about reining in their own children too. Not sure if this is even possible but it sure would make parents more wary of what their kids do I would think.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Not sure if this is even possible but it sure would make parents more wary of what their kids do I would think.
    Iunno, not a parent so I can't add personal perspective but I would expect that many people would consider this a problem that 'other' parents have to think about as their child "was raised to know better".

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I don't know, really. Those kinds of parents usually think their kids can do no wrong, regardless of evidence to the contrary. You have to start training a child to behave like a human being from early on if you don't want them to just do whatever they can get by with unless they are just kind-hearted by nature. Most people aren't going to think about being sued for having a malicious teenager when their kids are in pre-school.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers