User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 24

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Wow, you are a poor example of a Philadelphian on these boards. Are all of your posts going to be as fallacious as this?

    Two wrongs make a right - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Tu quoque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    There is no fallacy in pointing out hypocrisy. It would have been a fallacy only if I had argued that such violations of free speech and human rights by right-wingers therefore justified the same by left-wingers, but I did not.

    You seem to know a lot about fallacies-- what is the one where you put words in someone's mouth called?

  2. #12
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    The Latin American culture is so expressive that it seems to be almost a paradox that they have so much "legal"/political limitation on their speech.

    Castro although far from being the first "left wing" dictator to punish free speech nevertheless set one of the most strongest precedents in the region which reverberates to this day.

    Both right wing and left wing have unclean hands as to individual civil liberties in this region.

    Agreed. The dominant political "ideology" for most of Latin American history has been that of the caudillo silencing the opposition, right or left.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  3. #13
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Some Guy View Post
    There is no fallacy in pointing out hypocrisy. It would have been a fallacy only if I had argued that such violations of free speech and human rights by right-wingers therefore justified the same by left-wingers, but I did not.

    You seem to know a lot about fallacies-- what is the one where you put words in someone's mouth called?

    You were diverting attention away from a legitimate critique.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  4. #14
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    The Latin American culture is so expressive that it seems to be almost a paradox that they have so much "legal"/political limitation on their speech.
    Nah, it's not a paradox. See, you just need to understand that the leaders possess the same level of expressiveness; they will utter every thought they happen to have, thus they'll just shout at their opponents and tell them they should "never talk anymore". However, since they have so much political power, these BS-lines manage to become the law. You can apply a similar reasoning to Berlusconi, even though - since we pertain to the european union - there's a much bigger constraint on his political power w.r.t. latin american countries.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    You were diverting attention away from a legitimate critique.
    I was making a legitimate critique of my own. American right-wingers who love bashing Chavez often ignore similar or worse abuses by right-wing leaders and organizations in Latin America.

    The American media also focuses more on abuses by the left in Latin America than on abuses by the right. Do a google news search for "Honduras union leader killed" and see how many hits you get, and how many of those are from the mainstream, corporate American media. Then do a search on "Chavez arrest media" and see what you get. That's just one example, one could find many more. The only time the corporate media pays attention to right-wing violence and oppression in Latin America is when the murders are particularly sensational-- like the clergy and nuns murdered in El Salvador.

    Call it diverting attention if you like, but I'm not looking at it that way.

  6. #16
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Some Guy View Post
    (hundreds of such killings in Mexico, Guatemala, and Colombia in the past year alone)
    :rolli:

    In Colombia, killings of labor leaders (as well as every other type of political assassination) has drastically declined since Uribe and his allies have come to power. Way to present half-truths, without context, in order to leave a mistaken impression.

  7. #17
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Some Guy View Post
    I was making a legitimate critique of my own. American right-wingers who love bashing Chavez often ignore similar or worse abuses by right-wing leaders and organizations in Latin America.
    Kind of like the way left-wingers obsess over Pinochet while glorifying Castro?

    In recent years, it usually hasn't been the right-leaning governments that have decimated free-speech rights or institutional checks on government power in Latin America.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    :rolli:

    In Colombia, killings of labor leaders (as well as every other type of political assassination) has drastically declined since Uribe and his allies have come to power. Way to present half-truths, without context, in order to leave a mistaken impression.
    Even if this is true, Colombia is still the world leader in assassination of union activists.

    Annual Survey of violations of trade union rights 2009 - ITUC

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    In recent years, it usually hasn't been the right-leaning governments that have decimated free-speech rights or institutional checks on government power in Latin America.
    Prove it.

  10. #20
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Some Guy View Post
    Even if this is true, Colombia is still the world leader in assassination of union activists.

    Annual Survey of violations of trade union rights 2009 - ITUC
    A longstanding situation which the rightest government has vastly improved; unlike in Venezuela, where violent crime has become an epidemic under the Chavez regime. If you didn't know all of this, then the problem is you, not with the American media.
    Last edited by lowtech redneck; 03-28-2010 at 04:19 PM. Reason: error

Similar Threads

  1. A Golden Age for Political Satire in America or Freedom of Speech under threat?
    By ilikeitlikethat in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-18-2017, 02:24 AM
  2. Victory for Free Speech in Holland
    By Mole in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 06-29-2011, 08:01 PM
  3. Yet another Islamist atrocity against religious freedom and free speech...
    By lowtech redneck in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 11-13-2010, 09:01 PM
  4. Europe's war on free speech and its consequences
    By lowtech redneck in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 07:07 PM
  5. Forget Big Brother: Facebook, Corporations, and the End of Free Speech
    By speculative in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-23-2009, 11:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO