User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    in the same sense that it would be misguided to suggest that ideological capitalism is purely corporatism, corporatism in the modern sense wasnt dreamt of in the original idea, it would even have been hostile to such and wouldnt have considered monopoly or even oligopoly an outcome of the working out of their idea.
    Do you mean modern corporations, rather than Corporatism? I can't really think of anybody who views the latter as an integral aspect of capitalist theory-proponents of Corporatism usually present the system as an alternative, or middle ground between the "wild capitalism" of most Anglo countries and the "social democracy" advocated by European left.

An Ideology

C'mon, we know precisely what an ideology is.

An ideology is -

1. Predigested thought.

2. It serves interests

3. And it has a demonology.

So an ideology is for those without intellectual integrity or moral courage.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

An ideology is -

1. Predigested thought.

2. It serves interests

So an ideology is for those without intellectual integrity or moral courage, just like MBTI.
    Ideology is theory. It's not necessarily unrealistic.

MBTI
    INxj
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    I see a lot of power-hungry politicians. This might be true. I wonder if there's really a "hero" politician who's ambition is everyone's welfare. I wonder if they exist.
    This is a very slippery slope. But I think there has been instances of those "hero" politicians, in recent times I can think of Lee Kwan Yew in Singapore who did a great job.
    Otherwise there is monarchy, if you are born with power, you won't try conquering it. However you could still use it for your personal ends if you don't have a vision.
    Otherwise exists the possibility of microstates ruled through direct democracy ŗ la ancient Athens for instance.
    I kind of idealise a system of microstates where populations are reduced enough that decision making is really in the end of the inhabitants that decide to care for it (going to regular councils and voting meetings), and that could even make decisions at unanimity after real debate between habitants.
    However we are really drifting into utopia here.
    NiFiTeSe
    4w5 so/sp
    I 77% E 23%
    N 85% S 15%
    T 51% F 49%
    J 60% P 40%
    average of many test results combined

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    Perhaps, but not well.

Ideology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    An ideology is a set of aims and ideas that directs one's goals, expectations, and actions. An ideology can be thought of as a comprehensive vision, as a way of looking at things
    QFT.

Any time you place relative importance on certain principles or values/ support certain goals/ endorse certain methods of attaining those goals, there is ideology of some kind involved. Even humanism is an ideology. I think ideology has an 'unreasonable/unrealistic' connotation in modern politics, so people try to distance themselves from it.

From wikipedia:

Implicitly every political tendency entails an ideology whether or not it is propounded as an explicit system of thought.
    (Seems Rand's definition is accurate in this respect).
    Type: INFP Enneagram: 4
    Fi>Si>Ne>Te>Fe>Se>Ti>Ni

°cataplum!

heart on fire

Having cut themselves off from history by their revolution, Americans...
    Good grief...

MBTI
    INxj
    Enneagram
    4w5

A revolution that was one of the achievments of the thinkers of the enlightenment.
    NiFiTeSe
    4w5 so/sp
    I 77% E 23%
    N 85% S 15%
    T 51% F 49%
    J 60% P 40%
    average of many test results combined

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

An ideology is -

1. Predigested thought.

2. It serves interests

So an ideology is for those without intellectual integrity or moral courage.
    Ideology is what people substitute for religion once they've realized that technological man is more powerful than God herself.

Ideologues claim that they have God on their side, but if they truly did, why would they need to act as stridently as they do?

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Good grief...
    What? We did. The point of the revolution was for the petit bourgeoisie to wrest control of the colonies from the large landholding interests in England, who were the repositories of history at those times.

Would you say the US is much of a British culture? They drink beer, gin and tea. We drink whiskey, vodka and coffee. Most of our early settlers wanted to break entirely free of British culture and heritage. The ones who didn't initially didn't want to fight the war, and then 85 years later split the country in half, hoping to return to the maternal bosom of Dear Britannia.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Would you say the US is much of a British culture? They drink beer, gin and tea. We drink whiskey, vodka and coffee. Most of our early settlers wanted to break entirely free of British culture and heritage. The ones who didn't initially didn't want to fight the war, and then 85 years later split the country in half, hoping to return to the maternal bosom of Dear Britannia.
    What does it mean to say "cut themselves off from history?"

Did we go into a time loop and spin off from the planet?

Nothing in your post support's Victor's assertion that the USA is living in a time loop cut off from history.

Plus, there's a lot more to USA history and culture than just the British Empire. This land had a developing history of its own, people were here already when the British came. Much of this country is rich in the cultures brought here by the French and the Spanish. (and others) What about what American blacks have created here in culture?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Do you mean modern corporations, rather than Corporatism? I can't really think of anybody who views the latter as an integral aspect of capitalist theory-proponents of Corporatism usually present the system as an alternative, or middle ground between the "wild capitalism" of most Anglo countries and the "social democracy" advocated by European left.
    I mean corporatism as it objectively is, not the ideology.

I dont believe that middle ground or the two other variations you mention really exist, there's simply corporatism globally with shades of cultural nuance which are greadually fading away.