User Tag List

12311 Last

Oberon

Default Health Care Bill Passes

The health care bill was voted and passed in the U.S. House of Representatives, and so will proceed to the President's desk later this week to be signed into law. This bill will be one of the major things for which our current president will be remembered.

Discuss, please.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm not fond of words like "mandatory" involved in any federal bill concerning a good and/or service.

There's nothing much that I can say here that hasn't already been said a thousand times over. I just think it's a shame that so many people wanted this so badly that they'd give up anything to get it.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

MBTI
    INFP

Seems this system is based on the dutch healthcare. Out of all the options, good choice.

MBTI
    STFU

I guess we will see in the next few years how this pans out. This isn't free healthcare, and if one is not insured they are going to be in debt an arm and a leg to the government. Once again, thuggery rules in DC.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Unless some magic is pulled-off during the reconciliation between the house and senate bills, this change is not drastic enough to mean much to me.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w1
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Kra View Post
    I just think it's a shame that so many people wanted this so badly that they'd give up anything to get it.
    I'm still looking for those people honestly. Maybe they just don't want to publicly admit they support it?

89% Extroverted ~ 68% Intuition ~ 84% Feeling ~ 89% Perceiving
    Enneagram: 2w1 SO/SP Socionics: ENFp
    Cognitive Process
    Se 30.4% Si 19.1% - Ne 38.4% Ni 26.4% - Te 23.1% Ti 20% - Fe 46.4% Fi 35.8%
    Sanguine | Phlegmatic
    Right Brain Dominant

I'm the exact person this plan is designed to help most...someone who is uninsured or underinsured because their job does not provide health care. And I'm not a fan. So take that for what it's worth.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Kra View Post
    I'm not fond of words like "mandatory" involved in any federal bill concerning a good and/or service.

There's nothing much that I can say here that hasn't already been said a thousand times over. I just think it's a shame that so many people wanted this so badly that they'd give up anything to get it.
    Totally agree. I was all for a public option, but this is such a sell out. $ rules and always will here. I have high deductible health care, so does that mean I'm covered? It does if I happen to have 5K I want to throw at my health any given year, which I don't, otherwise I'm self pay as usual. I already avoid dental and physician visits due to lack of money, and I'm "insured."
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    Totally agree. I was all for a public option, but this is such a sell out. $ rules and always will here. I have high deductible health care, so does that mean I'm covered? It does if I happen to have 5K I want to throw at my health any given year, which I don't, otherwise I'm self pay as usual. I already avoid dental and physician visits due to lack of money, and I'm "insured."
    How about the notion that things might still be far from perfect but at least Obama has his foot in the door by getting a universal health care bill to be passed? A bit like Civil Rights legislation, it also took years to finetune it but once Lyndon B Johnson had signed the Civil Rights Bill there was really no going back.

Since I am European I am just wondering if there is anyone on here who has a really informed opinion on that, how much does this bill really achieve? (Also as a European I am a bit shocked how some Americans can be so opposed to the concept of universal health care, we had it in many countries for decades and though it is not perfect I most certainly would rather get ill in Europe than in the US.)

MBTI
    INTP

Lets see, social security and medicare are about to go bankrupt, the economy sucks, inflation is already around the corner as a result of the not-so-stimulant stimulus bill, and the Democrats think its a good idea to create yet another massive entitlement program with an exponentially increasing price-tag; to say that I'm pissed is a mild understatement.

Edit: Looking ahead, there seems to be two realistic options; getting a Republican congress and President in 2012, or having the Supreme Court strike it down (the latter option is risky-a wrong decision on this issue, introduced as precedent, could make the imminent domain fiasco look like nothing. Justice Kennedy is highly unpredictable, which isn't good when he is for all practical purposes the most powerful man in America insofar as domestic issues are concerned).
    Last edited by lowtech redneck; 03-22-2010 at 02:46 PM. Reason: self-evident