User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    People can't afford health insurance because the industry costs are out of control. What do our law makers do about it? Make it mandatory to purchase health insurance. I don't see any good coming out of this and I consider myself a liberal.
    Well, mandatory health insurance is a part of many UHC systems. There are some other things they usuall have, though, like a public option, and less alternative institutions sucking up money.

An actual overhaul would institute a system that replaces much of our current medical services, like medicare, medicaid, and the VA. That would be much too contraversial, though.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Guess you didn't read my post.
    I'm curious how they did that; does the article explain their standards and methodology?

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Well, mandatory health insurance is a part of many UHC systems. There are some other things they usuall have, though, like a public option, and less alternative institutions sucking up money.

An actual overhaul would institute a system that replaces much of our current medical services, like medicare, medicaid, and the VA. That would be much too contraversial, though.
    Without fixing any of the other problems this is just going to create more hardship on people. I can't see it doing anything else.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Indeed. True reform would have never, ever been able to be agreed upon.

----

The five criteria of the Canada Health Act guiding the provincial public health insurance plans are:

1. Public Administration: The public health insurance plan must be managed in a public, not-for-profit fashion.

2. Comprehensiveness: All residents receive “medically necessary” health services.

3. Universality: All residents must be covered by the public insurance plan on uniform terms and conditions.

4. Portability: All residents must be covered by their public plan, wherever they are treated in Canada.

5. Accessibility: All residents must have access to insured health care services on uniform terms and conditions without direct or indirect financial charges, or discrimination based on age, health status or financial circumstances.
    See that @bold: this is the big issue in my mind: medical care in the US is big business, so that is why costs are so high. In terms of real dollars, the US health care system costs almost twice as much per capita to run than the Canadian system.

I think the principles above were closer to what President Obama had hoped to implement.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    ― Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    ― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    ENFJ

I hate how so many Canadians find this a great time to lecture...
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

^ I am not lecturing; I am using this as an educational opportunity.

Every Canadian knows our system is not perfect and has need for reform in certain areas. I've already stated that earlier in thread, if you were following along.

Our proximity to the US means we lose many doctors to the US because they make more money here. In fact, the doctor I have here in the US is a Canadian who used to practice in British Columbia.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    ― Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    ― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

This is why I'm so upset with this bill. As Yoda says, do or do not. There is no try I see little benefit to putting a Band-Aid on a slashed artery, because not only doesn't it work, but it sends the message that only a Band-Aid is needed. The bigger problem is that half the country sees a slashed artery and half sees a perfectly intact one.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    ^ I am not lecturing; I am using this as an educational opportunity.

Every Canadian knows our system is not perfect and has need for reform in certain areas. I've already stated that earlier in thread, if you were following along.
    I'm not talking about only you.

Every. Single. Canadian. I. Have. Heard. Today. Has. Lectured. About. This.

You would be surprised, but this is a lot of Canadians.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    The Supreme Court is a necessary institution whose members have largely betrayed the responsibilities of their office. To paraphrase Lincoln, calling something constitutional doesn't make it so. And yes, I'm a huge fan of the Federalist Society.
    I understand where you are coming from. Of course there have been rulings that are widely considered questionable (Korematsu, Plessy, etc.), but I don't know how you would determine the "truth" in this case. The 'correct' interpretation is technically whatever the Court says it is; the Justices are theoretically the best suited, most objective (insulated from electoral pressures, for instance) judges. To paraphrase your paraphrase: Just because you (or even the majority of the American public, for example) call something unconstitutional doesn't make it so. I would think you might have a better argument if you found recent precedents that support your case. If you plan to just dismiss the last 70 years of SC interpretations, then you aren't alone (I know people who do) but you aren't necessarily 'right' in a relevant legal sense either. But that's just my SiTe vs. your Ti talking, I suppose.
    Type: INFP Enneagram: 4
    Fi>Si>Ne>Te>Fe>Se>Ti>Ni

¡cataplum!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    People can't afford health insurance because the industry costs are out of control. What do our law makers do about it? Make it mandatory to purchase health insurance. I don't see any good coming out of this and I consider myself a liberal.
    It's humorous really. In a sick, they asked for it, sort of way.

Over-litigation is one of the prime reasons medical services and supplies are as expensive as they are in this nation, and yet people still think that the answer is more laws and regulation.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se