User Tag List

First 182627282930 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    So ... what then? Do you suspect the Democrats are trying to ruin the country, since it's so obvious this bill will send us straight into financial ruin?
    I think you credit American politicians with far too much intelligence to assume that they are "trying" to bankrupt America.

While the GOP uniformly opposed this bill, on the subject of unsustainable spending, they are as bad or perhaps worse than the democrats.

But WRT to those on the left, specifically, they tend to be almost uniformly oblivious to Law of Unintended Consequences - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia --more so than the GOP, which has a least a smattering of members familiar with economic realities...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

If everyone just sat down and played nice and didn't care about making as much money as possible, the whole issue could be solved no doubt.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

The law of unintended consequences seems like a good reason to do nothing.

Economic realities are not realities, really. Are they? Economies are something we make up.

My faith is in homeostasis, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    If everyone just sat down and played nice and didn't care about making as much money as possible, the whole issue could be solved no doubt.
    INFPs! They're so cute!

MBTI
    enfp

seriously cute. haha

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    It's pretty easy to see that it will drive up costs faster than the current system, just look at what it does, piece by piece, and what it promises. For example, who has the most financial incentive to limit health care spending, now? The poor. Illegal aliens. Those without insurance. Suddenly, they are added to the Gov't Free Lunch. What helps keep ins. rates down? The ability to exclude those with pre-existing conditions. What happens to ins. rates when those individuals are added? They skyrocket. But aren't the healthy going to be required to get health ins. to somewhat offset this? Legally, yes, but the fines are lower than the cost of health ins.--by quite a bit, a lot of healthy people will not buy insurance. And who is going to enforce compliance? The IRS. Do they have the current capacity to do that? No. What about price controls, won't they help? The price controls would force a large number of Dr.'s to refuse to accept the newly added folks, retire early, cause people to avoid medicine as a career. So what will happen to said price controls? They will never come into being or will be reversed very quickly. And so on...
    I think you're suffering from a case of confirmation bias.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Seriously, if you have never watched SICKo, you really should.

And as for Cuba, being Canadian, I have been able to vacation there. It's very poor but very friendly. And again, not-for-profit health care.

EDIT: I am researching the whole issue of Cuban health care; there's more than meets the eye, and I am blending this all together. It seems possible there is a two-tier system - where money is still a factor and determines what type of care you will receive.

LOL, I don't know how he managed to get them all into Cuba!
    Last edited by PeaceBaby; 03-24-2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: added new info
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    ENFJ

@Peacebaby.

The primary benefit for Canada from the passage of Obama's health care reform should be economic.

While we have come through the current worldwide economic upheaval better than many other industrialized countries, including the U.S., we need our most important trading partner firing on all cylinders again.

Bolstered by this important political victory, Obama will be in a much stronger position to tackle what should be his primary focus right now: putting Americans back to work.
    Some of those news guys are smarter than they look
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    INFPs! They're so cute!
    lol yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I think you're suffering from a case of confirmation bias.
    "To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle"