User Tag List

First 6141516171826 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Well, Southern Kross, what I assume will happen is you'll be told that the UHC system you want is a good intention naively gone bad. It will then be explained to you how such a system creates a wide variety of devestating dynamics which have somehow failed to have an affect on any of the developed nations in the world so far.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I appreciate that America is a nation that values the individual over the collective. I respect that freedom to live your life as you choose is fundamental to the national ethos.

However people forget that the belief in individual freedom in America is based on a best case scenario and assumes that all Americans are equal. That freedom of choice can be restricted by many circumstances - poverty being a major one. The 'freedoms' and 'choices' the poor in America have in regards to health care are false ones. How can you choose between insurance you can't afford and risking your family's health and financial future? Where is the freedom in that choice?

I have been told by an American that the present (well, past) system provides the best care. Really what she means is it provides the best care for some people but limited to no care for many others. How are the individual rights of the poor being respected when you deny them a basic necessity due to, what is likely to be, an pure accident of birth? What this appears to be is a case where the rights of the wealthy are valued over those of the poor.

Even if that 'best care' is to be lost it would still be worth it. To be honest, I prefer that ideal care for the few be sacrificed for mediocre care for all. I don't want to live in a society where whether you live or die is decided by how rich you are.

Anyway, I have been following this issue for years and must say how wonderful it is to see real progress! I just want to say well done to the Americans. This is a special moment in US history and you all should feel proud. Regardless of what you believe, I truly hope you will see and feel the benefits of the new bill; that it will lead to a fairer and better system for everyone; and that it will help to truly bring greater liberty and autonomy to all Americans
    Hear! Hear!

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Well, Southern Kross, what I assume will happen is you'll be told that the UHC system you want is a good intention naively gone bad. It will then be explained to you how such a system creates a wide variety of devestating dynamics which have somehow failed to have an affect on any of the developed nations in the world so far.
    Nah, these devastating effects will only happen in the US. Because we're special.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Victor, when you're conscripted into a war you don't believe in, I believe tradition is to flee to Canada
    None of us are conscripted - we are all professional soldiers serving the national interest.

And we believe in the USA Dollar, so it is in our interest to defend it.

Of course we have a patina of idealism, just as the Dollar Trusts in God.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    What is this monolithic "business interest" of which you speak, and how do the various political actors representing this all-powerful interest coordinate their influence to promote this ideologically undifferentiated unanimity?
    Are you just playing dumb?

There is no monolithic business interest, but no monolith is required for the interests of big business to be in direct conflict with the interest of the American people, in general.

I really hate, hate, hate how some so-called conservatives and/or libertarians run to the defense of business, denying the power it wields.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post

I would honestly like to believe this, but eight years of Bush leaves me in great doubt if this will be true.
    True.
    But at least he did one thing right;
    Jobs and Growth Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2003. By cutting dividend and capital gain rates to 15%, stocks then rose 20% in two years, $15 trillion new wealth added, 8 million new jobs created over 4 years, and median house value went up $20,000.

Obama on the other hand, is not going to renew Bush's tax cut. We'll see how his 3.6 trillion budget coming up in 2011 will do.

I will still stand by my "1 term president" to him.

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    The United States, if anyone, has the money.
    Really bad excuse. Even third world countries have Universal Healthcare.
    Gotta close the gaps between the classes a little, though.
    If one is big and strong, one has a responsibility towards others.
    Same goes for wealthy.
    Raise taxes and build a better nation for everyone.
    Also, it's kinda expensive to fight wars and maintain bases all over the globe for no apparent reason.
    The US is barely in the top 10 for richest countries in the world. We are on verge of getting kicked from our AAA rating. There is NO responsibility from one class to another. That attitude/mentality breeds and fosters laziness. There is no such thing as entitlement. America offers opportunities for people to go from rags to riches through hard work, not to survive and suck off those who work.
    Raising taxes is a terrible solution. I don't even need to explain why because it's obvious you're not at any level of being able to comprehend why that's bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    There is no monolithic business interest...
    The monolithic business interest is the USA Dollar.

And now the USA Dollar is the Reserve Currency of the World.

Quote Originally Posted by tenINsFJ View Post
    The US is barely in the top 10 for richest countries in the world.
    I have been told that the USA has been the largest economy in the world for more than the last one hundred years, and remains the largest economy in the world today.

Have I been misinformed?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

There is no monolithic business interest, but no monolith is required for the interests of big business to be in direct conflict with the interest of the American people, in general.

I really hate, hate, hate how some so-called conservatives and/or libertarians run to the defense of business, denying the power it wields.
    Big business, like any concentration of power in our political system, can only perform at its best when (reasonably) regulated.

The rub lies in knowing what regulation is reasonable, and what isn't.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

There's really no denying the power it holds, but I really don't see any way the USA could be as prosperous as it has been without it. Money is power, and it has been that way since the dawn of man.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se