User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Indeed. What is going on in my country?
    Everyone's got a few crazies. If they didn't, we'd get suspicious.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    I know, Jeeeesus I thought this thread must be about the second story, and that there was a problem with discrepancy of numbers, until I saw the date of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Indeed. What is going on in my country?
    If you have ANY idea, please get back to us on this! It does seem to be a peculiarly French problem... At least, all the stories I've heard documenting this seem to have come from France, and I have the strange feeling there have been others over the last few years too...

Edit: Even French women living elsewhere appear to be prone to it, it seems. I thought this rang some bells:

Freezer Babies case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

When the bodies of 8 babies smothered by their mother were discovered this week in France, their father and the public were horrified. Not only had Dominique Cottrez managed to hide eight pregnancies and done the unthinkable eight times; she also added her name to a growing list of multiple infanticides in France since 2003 according to the BBC. Now Time explores the question: is there something about life in France which leads to this problem’s perceived prevalence?
    Many cases of infanticide result from pregnancy denial, writes Time. Women cannot accept the new life inside of them and either hide a growing belly because they are already overweight, or only gain a small amount. When the baby comes he or she is not real. Cases like this bear resemblance to psychosis or schizophrenia and can be triggered in the mind of a woman even if she has already delivered and raised other children.
    Infanticide is met with differing reactions from the law. When mental illness is established a woman will often acquitted. Usually her husband supports her as well. Some cases, however, have revealed evidence of planning, such as when a mother claims her child was kidnapped, yet had dumped him in the river.
    Though baby blues affect a large number of women within the first weeks postpartum, and postpartum depression and anxiety touch the lives of anything up to a third of mothers and fathers, less than 1% suffer from psychosis, a condition thought to be responsible for many cases of infanticide. Meanwhile, about 230 women discover their pregnancy during birth in France. The psychological impact of this traumatic experience can be devastating.
    In Germany, however, this year saw the tenth anniversary of the controversial baby drop which allows mothers to anonymously abandon their babies. Its existence testifies to the problem of mothers killing their babies in this country too. Advocates claim baby drops have saved numerous lives. Spiegel and The Local reported on the importance of these warm and secure drop boxes trigger an alarm when an infant is placed inside. Whatever has affected the perinatal mental health of French woman could account for similar gruesome problems in Germany, and in individual lives.
    Experts note that most women who kill a baby were raped or beaten during childhood. They point to broken communities, ghost towns and the end of extended families, leaving mothers with scanty choice of familiar support during the early weeks and months postpartum. The role of parenting and the importance of family have also lost their value.
    Such factors can only make an existing problem worse, however, not cause it. The question now is how to help women before they commit the barbaric act of taking the lives of their babies. Whether the law finds a woman mentally responsible or not, she is never free from the impact of her actions.
    Less than illuminating.

"She explains that she did not want any more children and that she did not want to see a doctor about methods of contraception," a spokesman for prosecutors told reporters.

Catholic? Doesn't say.

Her husband, accused of not reporting the killings and hiding the bodies, was considered a witness and released.
    What?

I just can't get my head around it. I'd really like to put them both in a polythene bag and bury them in their backyard though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I tend to support some forms of abortion because I like to think it prevents infanticide (although I do think some late term abortions are close to being infanticide).

The coverage of this on the radio has been treating it as a tragic, the woman reports that she's had some sort of traumatic experience with doctors, perhaps, on the other hand most criminological or forensic psychology suggests that there is a "myth of female non-violence" when its just as common place, only they kill things they love, kill dependents and exact cruelty that way.

Its the same reason why most of the female serial killers are child killers or nurses or others in kind of twisted "caring" capacity, I tend to think that Eric Fromm is one of the only authors to really get the banality and widespread nature of sado-masochistic character traits in late modernity right.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I tend to support some forms of abortion because I like to think it prevents infanticide (although I do think some late term abortions are close to being infanticide).

The coverage of this on the radio has been treating it as a tragic, the woman reports that she's had some sort of traumatic experience with doctors, perhaps, on the other hand most criminological or forensic psychology suggests that there is a "myth of female non-violence" when its just as common place, only they kill things they love, kill dependents and exact cruelty that way.

Its the same reason why most of the female serial killers are child killers or nurses or others in kind of twisted "caring" capacity, I tend to think that Eric Fromm is one of the only authors to really get the banality and widespread nature of sado-masochistic character traits in late modernity right.
    You are misreading this completely. You think she went through 9 months of pregnancy so that she could have something to love and then exact revenge on?
    No.

Do you support contraception too? Or it that a bridge too far?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Do you support contraception too? Or it that a bridge too far?
    Lark's ideas about contraception:
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1258985

EDIT: Oh. Sorry, someone just told me he must have deleted his post(s) there after some people dissented.
    But you can still find quotes of it.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1261061
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote:
    Her husband, accused of not reporting the killings and hiding the bodies, was considered a witness and released.
    I just can't get my head around it. I'd really like to put them both in a polythene bag and bury them in their backyard though.
    It sincerely puzzles me that he's not being seen as culpable in any way. To suppose that he would be unaware of his wife going through eight pregnancies seems far-fetched, and if there's even a suspicion that he knew what was happening or contributed to it (which there must be in the circumstances, it doesn't seem to have been investigated at the kind of depth where that can be ruled out) he must share some measure of responsibility.

She presumably has psychological problems and if she isn't in need of punishment is definitely in need of help. I would question whether he was so entirely blind to what was going on that he has done nothing deserving of being called to account.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    It sincerely puzzles me that he's not being seen as culpable in any way. To suppose that he would be unaware of his wife going through eight pregnancies seems far-fetched, and if there's even a suspicion that he knew what was happening or contributed to it (which there must be in the circumstances, it doesn't seem to have been investigated at the kind of depth where that can be ruled out) he must share some measure of responsibility.

She presumably has psychological problems and if she isn't in need of punishment is definitely in need of help. I would question whether he was so entirely blind to what was going on that he has done nothing deserving of being called to account.
    Maybe he was in "pregnancy denial" too?
    What a lame fucking excuse! I think she just covered for him. At the very least he should be indicted as an accomplice to murder.

France clearly needs "baby drop" facilities like Germany.
    I couldn't do that to a litter of pups. What the fuck is wrong with people?! I mean, you could almost excuse it once, as an aberration, but EIGHT times! And she'd already raised 2 daughters.
    The disturbing thing is, everyone in the community thinks these women are perfectly normal. If the new home owner hadn't decided to build a duck pond in his back yard, it might never have come to light. How many other women are murdering their children in cold blood and living unimpeachable lives?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but in my mid-20's I got a call from one of my best friends at the time. He said we needed to come to the local hospital, because he was there after his girlfriend had been taken there.

We were worried because we had no idea what was happening.

When we got there, he was waiting for us, looking kind of white and shaken.
    "I'm a father," he said.

We just stared in stunned disbelief.

But ... he was a father.
    He hadn't even known his girlfriend was pregnant.
    Neither had we.

She was fairly thick, carrying extra weight to start with, and apparently with her pregnancy, she continued to wear the bulky loose clothes she had always worn so there was no real difference in her appearance.

He didn't know she was pregnant until she started going into labor, he thought she was really ill, and he took her to the hospital.

Needless to say, the relationship did not last.
    She had a host of issues.
    But my friend, while not a rocket scientist, was still a smart, kind, funny, and considerate guy (ISFP type) and he simply hadn't been able to tell that she was pregnant.

FWIW.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm not sure if this is relevant, but in my mid-20's I got a call from one of my best friends at the time. He said we needed to come to the local hospital, because he was there after his girlfriend had been taken there.

We were worried because we had no idea what was happening.

When we got there, he was waiting for us, looking kind of white and shaken.
    "I'm a father," he said.

We just stared in stunned disbelief.

But ... he was a father.
    He hadn't even known his girlfriend was pregnant.
    Neither had we.

She was fairly thick, carrying extra weight to start with, and apparently with her pregnancy, she continued to wear the bulky loose clothes she had always worn so there was no real difference in her appearance.

He didn't know she was pregnant until she started going into labor, he thought she was really ill, and he took her to the hospital.

Needless to say, the relationship did not last.
    She had a host of issues.
    But my friend, while not a rocket scientist, was still a smart, kind, funny, and considerate guy (ISFP type) and he simply hadn't been able to tell that she was pregnant.

FWIW.
    I played softball with a guy that had a gf that didn't know she was pregnant either until she went into labor. He didn't know, she didn't know.

He was pretty damn smart too (not so sure about her).