User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I was going by this for Germany:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_imprisonment_(Germany)

Manslaughter is not there, which is what she was charged with. And apparently they often serve minimum sentences over 15 years before being able to apply for possible parole or release. If there's a work around to get her a pseudo life sentence regardless, it'll be interesting to find out if it happens.

EDIT: This case is the German woman, not the French one in the OP.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

The french law aint very different, cause they all are formulated under the european union. In french you can be convicted to lifetime imprisonment from the start that's one difference.

I tho dont think the french will let a woman who killed 6 lifes run after only serving 15 years. That would have caused the population to burn their government .

She'll be locked away after the 15 years forever, probably tho in mental health, cause she didnt get the lifelong sentence and they seem to have no preventive detention
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

What would be the verdict in the US ? death row ?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It depends on the state. Some laws have capital punishment and others do not, and varying sentences for the same offense(s). Our country is not uniform that way. Abortion is also regulated by state btw, although outright banning of abortion was declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court in 1973.

Also depends on whether she could feasibly plead insanity, at least in terms of where she would do her time even if she never got out. Jury courts actually aren't too keen on the insanity plea, despite how people claim it's a loophole; only a small percent of cases take that plea, and only for an even smaller percent is it ever accepted.

I don't know the specific laws, but I've heard of a 'grace period' for 48 hours after birth (maybe only in some states) where a child can be legitimately abandoned at a hospital or orphanage if the mother does not want the baby. I could only guess it would allow for a harsher penalty for women who kill their babies (or leave them in places where they will likely die) instead.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    What would be the verdict in the US ? death row ?
    Either death row or life without parole, most likely.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Ya sorry, I forgot.

Law tho is an ongoing issue in the EU with many laws being a big pile of bullshit. You get for example for drug trafficking a longer sentence than for rape. The reason behind this is that you hurt more lifes with drugs than with rape.

Logically they all make sense, but emotionally its no wonder why some people think, to take the law in their own hands is a better solution

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    In french you can be convicted to lifetime imprisonment from the start that's one difference.
    Exactly; why didn't the prosecutor pursue this?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Exactly; why didn't the prosecutor pursue this?
    I think the reason behind this goes back to the debate on when a life is considered a life. In Germany I think abortion is legal until the 3rd month and after that abortion would be considered murder under the law.

But in the light of both verdicts now in France and Germany, there is possibly more to it. I'll look it up and ask my friend the lawyer

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'd say someone like Andrea Yates or someone suffering postpartum depression is "insane" in a way that a serial killer is not.
    The children were killed in intervals, not all at once; besides, postpartum depression is not insanity.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    The children were killed in intervals, not all at once; besides, postpartum depression is not insanity.
    Sorry, correct to following:

Postpartum psychosis is a separate mental illness, which involves a complete break with reality. Although sometimes confused with or erroneously referred to as postpartum depression, postpartum psychosis is a very different disorder. It is less common than PPD, and it involves the onset of psychotic symptoms that may include thought disturbances, delusions, hallucinations and/or disorganized speech or behavior.
    I did have one family member who people referred to as having postpartum depression, and in that case, the newborn was actually at high risk because it took them awhile to figure out she was shunning him and he was declining... but that is different than proactively hurting a baby.

In the big picture, there's a big difference in motivation between someone who stalks victims and a situation like this (I sincerely doubt this French woman would kill outside the context of these pregnancies), but I don't know if it necessarily impacts (or should impact) sentencing.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft