User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Mean Green

heart on fire

Arrow Mean Green

How going green may make you mean | Environment | The GuardianDo Green Products Make Us Better People is published in the latest edition of the journal Psychological Science. Its authors, Canadian psychologists Nina Mazar and Chen-Bo Zhong, argue that people who wear what they call the "halo of green consumerism" are less likely to be kind to others, and more likely to cheat and steal. "Virtuous acts can license subsequent asocial and unethical behaviours," they write.
    Brain food: why doing good sometimes makes you into a bad person | Science | The Guardian

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Absolutely.

I'm a green activist, I'm mean and cynical, completely amoral and unethical, and I know every ruse if I need to cheat and lie.

And worst of all, I'm guiltless about that.

Are you happy now?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

That's a shame, a kind of exchange theory of ethics, the economy really does have a cultural long reach.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

is this like the south park when everyone drives around their prius acting like a prick?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

This is nothing new, is it? I thought it was kind of obvious that most people handle life as if there were such a thing as moral capital.

Also, it goes the other way, too. That's a large part of how guilt works. People feel bad and then think they need to make up for it. The main thing that differs is what people consider bad and where the equilibrium of their morality lies.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Absolutely.

I'm a green activist, I'm mean and cynical, completely amoral and unethical, and I know every ruse if I need to cheat and lie.

And worst of all, I'm guiltless about that.

Are you happy now?
    Why would we be happy, BM? Some of us have known it all along.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

so like people who, when called on a racist remark, say "I've got black friends!"

Or for another economic example, when you pass a homeless guy on the street and say "I gave money to the guy on down the street already" as an excuse not to put a quarter in his cup- like it matters to the guy that you snubbed that you'd already given!

I think that once people feel that they've spent their moral capital for the day on a worthy cause, they feel free to behave as they'd like. Kind of like buying indulgences during before the reformation, or going into a divergence program for a crime
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    so like people who, when called on a racist remark, say "I've got black friends!"

Or for another economic example, when you pass a homeless guy on the street and say "I gave money to the guy on down the street already" as an excuse not to put a quarter in his cup- like it matters to the guy that you snubbed that you'd already given!

I think that once people feel that they've spent their moral capital for the day on a worthy cause, they feel free to behave as they'd like. Kind of like buying indulgences during before the reformation, or going into a divergence program for a crime
    If there wasn't moral capital though, or at least if everyone didnt deep down believe in it, then we would all basically be morally blackmailed into giving all of our time and money away. You'd have to give money to every single homeless man due to your guilt.

Its like when liberals in congress go on and on giving anecdotal examples of people they know who had problems with health insurance: "if you dont do something to help every single person, then you're morally repugnant, it doesnt matter what you do with charity!"

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    If there wasn't moral capital though, or at least if everyone didnt deep down believe in it, then we would all basically be morally blackmailed into giving all of our time and money away. You'd have to give money to every single homeless man due to your guilt.

Its like when liberals in congress go on and on giving anecdotal examples of people they know who had problems with health insurance: "if you dont do something to help every single person, then you're morally repugnant, it doesnt matter what you do with charity!"
    wow... way to ignore the OP and go all republican ranting on me!

seriously...

I actually DO a little money to anyone who asks when I have some on me- I find it works out well in the end because it makes ME feel better about humanity, and in turn other people give me information or things that I need because I'm feeling more pleasant (like tips on where's hiring, or a day pass for the bus and such)

but back to the OP, it's usually the people who speak with their money towards causes who end up being less nice than those who speak through actions- my parents run a nature preserve and are active in the state organizations related to environmental causes- I haven't met a single person involved with actually DOING something in those organizations who is the slightest bit stingy with their time or money I've seen that with other types of causes as well in the past when I used to run events on campus- the financial donors were a lot less polite than the people who donated their time...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w1
    Socionics
    ENFp

I agree with the opinion that "once people feel that they've spent their moral capital for the day on a worthy cause, they feel free to behave as they'd like".

I also however have found that many "green" people think themselves smarter than others and therefore elitism plays a part. This then makes them the "most important person in the world", all others are stupid people from Texas in their eyes.

89% Extroverted ~ 68% Intuition ~ 84% Feeling ~ 89% Perceiving
    Enneagram: 2w1 SO/SP Socionics: ENFp
    Cognitive Process
    Se 30.4% Si 19.1% - Ne 38.4% Ni 26.4% - Te 23.1% Ti 20% - Fe 46.4% Fi 35.8%
    Sanguine | Phlegmatic
    Right Brain Dominant