User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    Ape

I would say that France is ESFP probably and Italy might be too.

Cultures that are warm sociable and thrive on their sensory pleasures.
    Wyrd is a concept in Anglo-Saxon and Nordic culture roughly corresponding to fate. It is ancestral to Modern English weird, which has acquired a very different meaning.

MBTI
    Ape

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    I figured I shouly try and look into the national character typology

U.S-ESTJ
    Japan-ISFJ
    Germany-INFJ
    England-ESTP
    Canada-ESFP
    Russia-ESFJ

I must confess that I had to take some wild iNtuitive leaps here as the info that I am dealing with is very vague and I am not exactly sure what national character is and let alone how it could relate to typology.
    US ESTJ
    England ISTP
    Japan INFJ
    Germany INTJ

????
    Wyrd is a concept in Anglo-Saxon and Nordic culture roughly corresponding to fate. It is ancestral to Modern English weird, which has acquired a very different meaning.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by wyrdsister View Post
    I would say that France is ESFP probably and Italy might be too.

Cultures that are warm sociable and thrive on their sensory pleasures.
    I kinda get what you all are saying, but how do you explain the following...

Amelie

The Science of Sleep

Birth

just to give quickie examples.

It seems like every expression of French culture I've encountered is steeped in layers and layers of subtle nuance, metaphor, whimsy, and complex inward emotion. What's up with that?
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by wyrdsister View Post
    US ESTJ
    England ISTP
    Japan INFJ
    Germany INTJ

????
    So your a fellow limey then?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post

Amelie

The Science of Sleep

Birth

It seems like every expression of French culture I've encountered is steeped in layers and layers of subtle nuance, metaphor, whimsy, and complex inward emotion. What's up with that?

That an overall culture isn't represented by isolated elements of its art.

How do you explain the fact that "laissez-faire" is a french expression, and the obsession with quality, leisurely, food with drink and cigarettes being the reason for living unless you identify the culture as SP.

-Geoff

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post

Amelie

The Science of Sleep

Birth

Mimes.

Jerry Lewis.

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Mimes.

Jerry Lewis.
    Touche`

:yim_rolling_on_the_
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Oh the irony!!

You know that America is ESTJ right?
    You WILL accept that the USA is a GREAT nation under GOD!
    You WILL be patriotic

Basically it's a country wrapped up in the ideals of dominance through power. The whole power structure of the country screams military ranks to me.

Oh and the "american dream" is more of a prescribed set plan of steps more than one of innovation and ideas.
    Many of these arguments run into the same problems as trying to squeeze a person into a single MBTI type. When the person shows qualities of more than one type, different people pick and chose the qualities they will focus on.

I see the U.S. as more "ESTP" personally, when all the cultural ideas are eaveraged out and compared to other countries, U.S. culture does seem more individualistic, action oriented, etc.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    Many of these arguments run into the same problems as trying to squeeze a person into a single MBTI type. When the person shows qualities of more than one type, different people pick and chose the qualities they will focus on.

I see the U.S. as more "ESTP" personally, when all the cultural ideas are eaveraged out and compared to other countries, U.S. culture does seem more individualistic, action oriented, etc.
    Hmmm that would be one thing yes but ESTPs are roulette wheels when it comes to decisions. I just don't see the behemoth that is the US being chaotic. In fact in terms of things like that just look at the tax arrangements, compared to England where it's pretty much done for you, it seems a very complex and oppressive system.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ENTP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture..._United_States

It is important to bear in mind that the United States of America is highly diverse. It is difficult to identify a single American attitude, or American style for the simple reason that the country is so complex.

The United States was founded in the late 18th century and as such, a great deal of American culture is couched in the ideals of the Enlightenment. Examples of this influence are reflected in the following: the Declaration of Independence's mission statement, which secures life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness; the French Revolution's ideals of liberty, equality and fraternity; and the national motto, E pluribus unum ("From many, one").

Another primary influence on American culture is the ongoing influx of new immigrants, many of whom have fled persecution or oppression in their home countries, and are seeking freedom (including religious freedom) and economic opportunity. This leads to the rejection of totalitarian practices, another widespread American attitude. By and large, Americans value the ideals of individual liberty, individualism, self-sufficiency, altruism, equality of opportunity, Judeo-Christian morals, free markets, a republican form of government, democracy, populism, pluralism, feminism, and patriotism.
    Americans, by and large, are often fascinated by new technology and new gadgets. There are many within the United States that share the attitude that through technology, many of the evils in the society can be solved. Many of the new technological innovations in the modern world were either first invented in the United States and/or first widely adopted by Americans. Examples include: the lightbulb, the airplane, the transistor, nuclear power, the personal computer, and online shopping, as well as the development of the Internet[citation needed]. The iPod, the most popular gadget for portable digital music, is also American.

If i had to personify the US with an MBTI type, i'd pick ENTJ. But it's obviously very difficult and ridiculous to define the US in such a simplistic way, more so than any other country.