User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    I'm startled noone's pointed out the queen mother wasn't "removed by god" >.> She gave up her throne to lizzy^2.
    I don't understand. Do you think the queen mother was the previous monarch? You must be confused, she wasn't, it was QEII's father George VI.

That being said, however, the monarchy is a figurehead; sure the crown TECHNICALLY has the power to veto anything... but there'd be riots if she did, and she's never done so before.

The throne is a cultural thing at this point, and by cultural, it is also traditional, and tradition is that the throne is passed when the holder dies.

Even so, charles, although not nearly as popular, is really not that bad a guy, from whot I've actually read up upon him about, he's actually pretty good with money and such, which would probably help alot of the palace's issues with finances.

I've no clue about camilla though.
    Yes, the monarch is much more of a figurehead these days but she is there to create stability. Britain (as well New Zealand) doesn't have a constitution, and, from what I understand, this means that they need a monarch or it leaves them open to abuses of the system. I believe that if there was a serious problem with the British (or NZ!) Government such as a coup, a revolution or fascist attempts to remove basic rights from British citizens, then she could step in. I would say that the military have to swear allegiance to her, so technically in extreme cirmcumstances she could command them to act as she sees fit. Of course, these aren't very likely to happen but she must be acknowledged as a back up plan. I think other countries imitate this system by having both a prime minister and a president (the equivalent of a monarch).

Then again I could be misinformed about all this...

And as for Charles being more frugal, I don't think he's anything impressive money-wise. Have you heard about his boiled egg thing? Seriously weird! And the Queen is known to be obsessed with frugality. She won't let the Palace footmen walk on the hallway carpets in order to better preserve them for longer.

Charles and Camilla

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I'm not sure I want to see our reigning monarch be a man who once aspired to being a tampon...
    I am told a true man will go out in the rain to get tampons for his girlfriend. Charles is a romantic and like all romantics he got carried away. But how lucky Camilla is to have someone so in love with her, that he can't help himself.

And let's face it every woman would love to be in love with a Prince and be loved in return. Camilla is a true Princess just as Charles is a true Prince. And how lovely they sound together, Camilla and Charles, Charles and Camilla.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w1
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Camilla is a true Princess just as Charles is a true Prince. And how lovely they sound together, Camilla and Charles, Charles and Camilla.
    O yes, a Princess and a Lady. Her past behavior absolutely displays grace.

89% Extroverted ~ 68% Intuition ~ 84% Feeling ~ 89% Perceiving
    Enneagram: 2w1 SO/SP Socionics: ENFp
    Cognitive Process
    Se 30.4% Si 19.1% - Ne 38.4% Ni 26.4% - Te 23.1% Ti 20% - Fe 46.4% Fi 35.8%
    Sanguine | Phlegmatic
    Right Brain Dominant

MBTI
    ENFJ

But then we would have to change all the Queen stuff to King stuff and that's something I'm just not comfortable with.

Long live the Queen, then.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I hope so, I would follow him into the mists of Avalon.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ESFJ

I love it when people from Europe think Americans are backward for not having single-payer health care, yet they live in countries that still have monarchs and state churches.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

On the plus side -he talks to plants, on the minus -Diana
    I'm not sure it really matters anymore anyway.
    I think Harry might have a lot of fun if he were king, I think William might turn dark destroyer
    bah
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Elizabeth and Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I love it when people from Europe think Americans are backward for not having single-payer health care, yet they live in countries that still have monarchs and state churches.
    Well, we're from Europe and we have a Monarch to ensure the limitation of power. Namely that no one person is our political leader, our Head of State and our Commander-in-Chief.

At the same time we have no state church and never had one.

And to boot we have universal health care.

We have no gun culture and no working poor.

We gained our independence without killing anyone and united a whole Continent also without killing anyone.

Our Continent had never known institutional slavery. Women gained the national vote here for the first time in history in 1904. And since 1990 we vigorously pursue child, sexual abuse in our Criminal Courts.

Our economy has been growing non-stop for nineteen years and will continue to grow.

Since WW II we have run a large and continuous immigration program - perhaps the most successful in the world - culminating in a peaceful multi-cultural society.

And we continue to collect Nobel Prizes, particularly in science.

We have a real democracy with a government and a loyal opposition consisting of two distinct parties, a conservative party and a social democratic party.

We live the new Elizabethan Age and speak the language of Shakespeare.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I have nothing against monarchy, but it is hilarious when people from those countries with state churches(or religious symbols in their national flag and emblems) bash Americans for being too religious.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I have nothing against monarchy, but it is hilarious when people from those countries with state churches(or religious symbols in their national flag and emblems) bash Americans for being too religious.
    Oh, definitely. The Queen of England is not only someone whose bloodline makes her superior to everyone else in her country, but the Defender of the Faith. That just boggles my American republican (NOT Republican) mind.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"