User Tag List

123 Last

heart on fire

Default Texas ed board washes Thomas Jefferson from History

Texas ed board vote reflects far-right influences - Yahoo! News

Teachers in Texas will be required to cover the Judeo-Christian influences of the nation's Founding Fathers, but not highlight the philosophical rationale for the separation of church and state. Curriculum standards also will describe the U.S. government as a "constitutional republic," rather than "democratic," and students will be required to study the decline in value of the U.S. dollar, including the abandonment of the gold standard...

Numerous attempts to add the names or references to important Hispanics throughout history also were denied, inducing one amendment that would specify that Tejanos died at the Alamo alongside Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie.

Another amendment deleted a requirement that sociology students "explain how institutional racism is evident in American society."...

Republican Terri Leo, a member of the powerful Christian conservative voting bloc, called the standards "world class" and "exceptional."

Last edited by heart; 03-14-2010 at 03:04 PM.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

While the USA has democratic elements, and is in many ways a democracy, the term consitutional Republic is really a more accurate and precise label for what we have going than something as vague as democracy.

Over-all though, I see what they're saying here, and it's bothersome.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    While the USA has democratic elements, and is in many ways a democracy, the term consitutional Republic is really a more accurate and precise label for what we have going than something as vague as democracy.

Over-all though, I see what they're saying here, and it's bothersome.
    The Texas history thing really bothers me. Tejanos did die at the Alamo and to leave that part out of the Texas Revolution is really a disservice to the truth of what made Texas and what it is.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

So no one's noticed the shift toward totalitarianism?

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Actually, what I'm seeing is different parts of the country ideologically pulling further and further apart at and alarmingly rapid pace.

I'd bet my money on civil war before totalitarianism.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think terms like "far right" or "far left" are crap. Can't views stand on their own merits? Why does everything have to be framed in such idiotic terms?
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Actually, what I'm seeing is different parts of the country ideologically pulling further and further apart at and alarmingly rapid pace.

I'd bet my money on civil war before totalitarianism.
    No way in hell there can be civil war in the first world after the internet age. I'd bet 20 bucks on it. The internet is too much of a unifying force.

Revolt due to totalitarianism, maybe (but we aren't even close to that yet). But not over simple ideological differences.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I think terms like "far right" or "far left" are crap. Can't views stand on their own merits? Why does everything have to be framed in such idiotic terms?
    Those terms are problematic because they are linear. I don't see a problem with framing different views in relation to each other, though. I believe all things have meaning mostly in terms of their relations to other things, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chunes View Post
    No way in hell there can be civil war in the first world after the internet age. I'd bet 20 bucks on it. The internet is too much of a unifying force.
    The internet? How? It actually strikes me as one of the main carriers for hatred and division right now.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

The internet? How? It actually strikes me as one of the main carriers for hatred and division right now.
    *shrug*

I really do see it slowly increasing our tolerance toward one another. I guess you find what you're looking for.

I have seen people change their views due to discourse over the internet from xenophobia and homophobia to more tolerant stances, etc.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Chunes View Post
    *shrug*

I really do see it slowly increasing our tolerance toward one another. I guess you find what you're looking for.
    Never off the internet have I seen nearly as much hateful invective as I have seen on the internet. It surprises me if you don't agree because this struck me so strongly from the very first days I started browsing online.

My theory is that people aren't afraid to reveal their bottled up prejudices and questionable deviances online, due to distance, anonymity, and an ease in finding like-minded individuals.

In the latter part, there's a tone of unity and solidarity, but keep in mind that I'm refering to things like closet racists finding other closet racists and banding together. It's unity on a small scale, in the nake of division on a large scale.
    Go to sleep, iguana.