User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    And it's WASPs like that that wish to do away with social programs. In America, the left and right essentially agree on a lot about liberal democracy. So because of this centrist starting point, things that aren't normally considered far-right in other places, are far-right here.

Abolishing income tax or single-payer health care would be considered far-right/far-left. But tax reform/cuts and something like a public option is considered center-right/center-left.
    I dont think that cutting social spending or government expenses other than militarism and policing is necessarily far right, its only coincidential, its not the same as a deliberate programme aimed at the supremacy of one mono-ethno-cultural groupthink over all alternatives.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I dont think that cutting social spending or government expenses other than militarism and policing is necessarily far right, its only coincidential, its not the same as a deliberate programme aimed at the supremacy of one mono-ethno-cultural groupthink over all alternatives.
    Depends on the extent. But that's just the way left-right language in used here.

It'd prefer far-right to denote more extreme authoritarian/militaristic/racist politics. But our media is sensationalistic. But then again, there aren't many classic authoritarians in the US, so the term would go mostly unused.

Public schools indoctrinate more than private/Christian schools? Come on Shitty.
    You'll note I did not claim that. You are missing the point entirely...

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    You'll note I did not claim that. You are missing the point entirely...
    Do you like any kind of school?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I think terms like "far right" or "far left" are crap. Can't views stand on their own merits? Why does everything have to be framed in such idiotic terms?
    Not every view is framed in such idiotic terms--only proportionally idiotic extremist ones.

Quote Originally Posted by ayoitsStepho View Post
    I don't see what is so difficult about them putting what actually happened in those books. It shouldn't matter what the right or left side think, it should be about the truth of our history. I've gotten tired of hearing about 'left side' history books and 'right side' history books. You can't satisfy everyone, so just write the truth.

If the truth is that history was built on Christian principles, then write it!
    If the truth is that Tejanos died at The Alamo, then write it!

Everything just seems to get so segregated, right down to the information we receive.

/frustration
    It's far more complicated than that. You can take the same facts and spin them in a variety of different ways to tell a different story. If you emphasize certain facts to the exclusion of others, you can create a "history" that's clearly biased toward one style of political thought or another.

"Just tell the truth" would be great, but the problem here isn't that anyone is telling blatant lies; it's that they're selectively choosing certain parts of the truth and framing them in a way that promotes a particular political agenda. The problem is which parts of the truth to focus on and how to phrase them.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Do you like any kind of school?
    Some, sure.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    That's just the way it is. Experts don't run things.
    Your comments highlight that you don't understand how real Historical study works. If the past is willfully distorted, that's not really Historical study, it's more like propaganda or just mere journalism. People are so used to accepting either propaganda or journalism as history they don't even understand what the study of history is.

heart on fire

Texas Textbook MASSACRE: 'Ultraconservatives' Approve Radical Changes To State Education Curriculum

Blogging the Social Studies Debate IV

Think Progress

As the nation’s second-largest textbook market, Texas has enormous leverage over publishers, who often “craft their standard textbooks based on the specs of the biggest buyers.” Indeed, as The Washington Monthly has reported, “when it comes to textbooks, what happens in Texas rarely stays in Texas.”

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I mean it is true that without Puritan Boston(mostly descended from East Anglican Puritans),the Am Rev probably would never gotten off to a start so yes John Calvin has his place in the story but one can't pick and chose which portions to show and which to hide. The whole story has to be put into place.
    A good point.
    America is a dissident Church movement.

But not only dissident Church movement.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Chunes View Post
    *shrug*

I really do see it slowly increasing our tolerance toward one another. I guess you find what you're looking for.

I have seen people change their views due to discourse over the internet from xenophobia and homophobia to more tolerant stances, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    My theory is that people aren't afraid to reveal their bottled up prejudices and questionable deviances online, due to distance, anonymity, and an ease in finding like-minded individuals.

In the latter part, there's a tone of unity and solidarity, but keep in mind that I'm refering to things like closet racists finding other closet racists and banding together. It's unity on a small scale, in the nake of division on a large scale.

Yes, I think the Internet can provide unification and expand knowledge of cultures and views one will not normally find elsewhere... but only if the person in question is one who is interested in being more enlightened. Also, some people see this as a NEGATIVE, if they are the sort who fears external influence as invasive and corruptive and information must be tightly controlled.

One of the primary contributions of the Internet also has been the way it has empowered the development of niche groups -- the ability of smaller subgroups in society that normally would be separated by geography (etc) and allow them a way to band together, build solidarity, and combine their efforts.

This can be good or bad, depending on one's opinion of the value of the group in question.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft