User Tag List

First 23456 Last

heart on fire

I mean it is true that without Puritan Boston(mostly descended from East Anglican Puritans),the Am Rev probably would never gotten off to a start so yes John Calvin has his place in the story but one can't pick and chose which portions to show and which to hide. The whole story has to be put into place.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I mean it is true that without Puritan Boston(mostly descended from East Anglican Puritans),the Am Rev probably would never gotten off to a start so yes John Calvin has his place in the story but one can't pick and chose which portions to show and which to hide. The whole story has to be put into place.
    Impossible. This is why history is a battleground. There is always a point of view. It's like a secular religion.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Impossible. This is why history is a battleground. There is always a point of view. It's like a secular religion.
    If someone hasn't studied Historical Methods and Historiography, they don't understand the study of history. But it never stops them from speaking as if they understood what real scholarly history is.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

lol texas.

I say we sell it to mexico to pay for health care.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Yeah, far-right would be abolishing the postal service. This is just American conservative right.

It's so funny how they blackballed Thomas Jefferson from the curriculum. Like, you can't do that. And they're trying to replace him with John Calvin!

edit: Jinx, heart!
    I wouldnt call that far right either though AJ, I'd say far right would be more of an unambiguous white anglo-saxon protestant klannishness, I dont believe that pretending that Calvinism was the true source of the US revolution is that but you can see it from there, if you know what I mean.

Jefferson was one of the greatest founding fathers and presidents, if not the best so I think is a terrible thing that this is happening but ever since I heard about the Omega programme, the beginnings of the born again evangelical revivals which lead to Carter having to promote his born again status to get elected and the moronic "theonomics" I've thought anything was possible.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I wouldnt call that far right either though AJ, I'd say far right would be more of an unambiguous white anglo-saxon protestant klannishness, I dont believe that pretending that Calvinism was the true source of the US revolution is that but you can see it from there, if you know what I mean.
    And it's WASPs like that that wish to do away with social programs. In America, the left and right essentially agree on a lot about liberal democracy. So because of this centrist starting point, things that aren't normally considered far-right in other places, are far-right here.

Abolishing income tax or single-payer health care would be considered far-right/far-left. But tax reform/cuts and something like a public option is considered center-right/center-left.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    This is the problem with democracy. This is why I advocate synarchy or secret aristocracy.
    Are you feigning a position? Sounds like you're trying to be bait for conspiracy theorists or something.

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Yeah, far-right would be abolishing the postal service.
    One needn't do that right off the bat. Just remove the prohibition against Fed Ex, Overnight Express, etc. from carrying first class mail and the Post Office will die a natural death.

I must say I'm amused by this debate. People who want Gov't Schools get Gov't Schools and deserve Gov't Schools in all their Gov't Indoctrination Camp glory. Quibble around the edges if you wish, but you'll never change the metabolism of the beast...

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    One needn't do that right off the bat. Just remove the prohibition against Fed Ex, Overnight Express, etc. from carrying first class mail and the Post Office will die a natural death.

I must say I'm amused by this debate. People who want Gov't Schools get Gov't Schools and deserve Gov't Schools in all their Gov't Indoctrination Camp glory. Quibble around the edges if you wish, but you'll never change the metabolism of the beast...
    Public schools indoctrinate more than private/Christian schools? Come on Shitty.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    If someone hasn't studied Historical Methods and Historiography, they don't understand the study of history. But it never stops them from speaking as if they understood what real scholarly history is.
    That's just the way it is. Experts don't run things.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."