User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I think terms like "far right" or "far left" are crap. Can't views stand on their own merits? Why does everything have to be framed in such idiotic terms?
    Cause that would require too much thinking, and we can't have that. Best to piegonhole everything in obsolete ideological categories.

MBTI
    INTP

I would need to read the textbooks in question and compare them to alternatives before making sweeping judgments; I would especially like to know what would have been left out to make way for aspects missing from the textbooks, and what has been left out to make room for what has been included? For instance, if the choice is between the Federalist Papers and the Declaration of Sentiments, then the Federalist Papers should take precedence, but if the choice is between the Declaration of Sentiments and Paul Revere, then the former should take precedence. And then you have to take into account the need to make the chapters roughly equal in length, so that teachers don't have to stop at WWII every time...

These textbooks will be hard-pressed to be any more unbalanced than some of the far-left influenced textbooks I have been exposed to, though; the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Senior Member ChildoftheProphets's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Actually, what I'm seeing is different parts of the country ideologically pulling further and further apart at and alarmingly rapid pace.

I'd bet my money on civil war before totalitarianism.
    What alarms me is that we're even to the point of SPECULATING of massive, violent upheaval, something most Americans haven't feared since the mid 1800's!

In a timespan of four-months, our country has had at least two-widely covered acts of domestic terrorism (the Fort Hood shooting and the Austin plane crash), with an additional two acts of protest that were less significant (a census worker suicide and a lone gunman attack on the Pentagon).

We live in interesting times.
    "In the opening and shutting of heaven's gate, are you able to play the feminine part?" -- Lao Tzu

"For when the One Great Scorer comes
    To write against your name,
    He marks - not that you won or lost -
    But how you played the Game."
    -- Grantland Rice

“Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules.” -- from The Catcher in the Rye

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do, and what a man can't do." -- Jack Sparrow

MBTI
    ENTP

This is the problem with democracy. This is why I advocate synarchy or secret aristocracy.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INFP

Wait, what's the problem with democracy?

And what's this "synarchy" and "secret aristocracy" you speak of? I've only been here a few weeks so I haven't heard you talk about this before.
    "In the opening and shutting of heaven's gate, are you able to play the feminine part?" -- Lao Tzu

-- Grantland Rice

“Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules.” -- from The Catcher in the Rye

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do, and what a man can't do." -- Jack Sparrow

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

I don't see what is so difficult about them putting what actually happened in those books. It shouldn't matter what the right or left side think, it should be about the truth of our history. I've gotten tired of hearing about 'left side' history books and 'right side' history books. You can't satisfy everyone, so just write the truth.

If the truth is that history was built on Christian principles, then write it!
    If the truth is that Tejanos died at The Alamo, then write it!

Everything just seems to get so segregated, right down to the information we receive.

/frustration
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ayoitsStepho View Post
    I don't see what is so difficult about them putting what actually happened in those books. It shouldn't matter what the right or left side think, it should be about the truth of our history. I've gotten tired of hearing about 'left side' history books and 'right side' history books. You can't satisfy everyone, so just write the truth.

If the truth is that history was built on Christian principles, then write it!
    If the truth is that Tejanos died at The Alamo, then write it!

Everything just seems to get so segregated, right down to the information we receive.

/frustration
    There is no such thing as "history". There are only stories. They say more about the present than they do about the past.

It is difficult enough to interpret what we actually know. Once you take into account that you are only capturing what was recognized as important at the time, all is lost.

History is bunk.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    There is no such thing as "history". There are only stories. They say more about the present than they do about the past.

It is difficult enough to interpret what we actually know. Once you take into account that you are only capturing what was recognized as important at the time, all is lost.

History is bunk.
    History can be distorted or it can be studied objectively. College history is very different from high school history. The further one gets away from an event, the more information comes out and a clearer picture comes. Historical perspective emerges.

But no one learns real history watching cable tv documentaries or taking high school history.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    There is no such thing as "history". There are only stories.
    True, insofar as knowedge of events are collected by individual eyewitnesses and thus subjective by nature. Still, one can hope that if you collect enough stories from enough individuals of differing perspectives, a sort of "average" will emerge in the collective narrative, an average much closer to whatever theoretical standard of "objectivity" we are hoping to attain.

Oh, and what's synarchy and secret aristocracy?

-- Grantland Rice

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ChildoftheProphets View Post
    True, insofar as knowedge of events are collected by individual eyewitnesses and thus subjective by nature. Still, one can hope that if you collect enough stories from enough individuals of differing perspectives, a sort of "average" will emerge in the collective narrative, an average much closer to whatever theoretical standard of "objectivity" we are hoping to attain.

Oh, and what's synarchy and secret aristocracy?
    How do you account for point of view though? History tends to be evaluative and aims to make sense of the course of events. This necessarily introduces a point of view.

Example: Bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

One point of view (orthodox): Bombings were necessary to save American and Japanese lives and to preclude an invasion of Japan.

Another point of view: United States is the only nation to use nuclear weapons against human beings. Many civilians died unnecessarily as an act of war perpetrated by the Allies.

Another point of view: US was eager to use nuclear weapons to signal its deterrent capability to the Soviet Union who it foresaw as a global competitor.

Another point of view: Insert here.