User Tag List

First 2345 Last

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    I bet Mr. Teacher has some deep-rooted issues and complexes he'd like to compensate for. Perhaps he was bullied in high school.
    Maybe he was a bully and misses the buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Must be part of that public school socialization process.

Yahoo!

NowPublic | Strange
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater Typhoon View Post
    Wow, how exemplary. I think he should be suspended too, and put into therapy.

Whats his excuse? Revving the children up for high school?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunes View Post
    I love how he claims it's his way of trying to relate to the students.

Dumb lie, or do you think he really could be that ignorant?
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    That's really professional of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by ubiquitous1 View Post
    What an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    In America, we reward sociopathic incompetence. They should make the teacher Secretary of Education.
    lol

He needs sacking then taking to therapy. maybe he could go in a sack race and have soft fruit thrown at him or something. bananas peeled? I would hate to be his child if i didn't live up to his nasty standards, actually i would hate to be his child full stop.

I think what the relationship is between him & the child is important though.does it make the child laugh?

Ginkgo

A teacher acting like a "younger brother" is clearly unprofessional.
    Ok, but tell me why being unprofessional is inherently bad.

The statement "you are a loser" is not inherently bad because it could have been made in jest.

I had a biology teacher who would give students the option of wearing a turtle shell on their head for an hour if they did not want to go to detention. However, this option was given under certain conditions that were determined by the teacher.

He was well respected among the school faculty by students, parents and teachers alike. But turtle hats are unprofessional. So let's get all pissy about it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Ok, but tell me why being unprofessional is inherently bad.

The statement "you are a loser" is not inherently bad because it could have been made in jest.

I had a biology teacher who would give students the option of wearing a turtle shell on their head for an hour if they did not want to go to detention. However, this option was given under certain conditions that were determined by the teacher.

He was well respected among the school faculty by students, parents and teachers alike. But turtle hats are unprofessional. So let's get all pissy about it.

Yeah, one of the reasons why I don't want to teach anymore is because there's such an emphasis on teachers being authority figures - there's a glut of authority figures in the public school system, and that might be part of the problem...one of the middle schools I did my student observervations at was run like the fucking military, or a prison.

I have a theory that some kids fall through the cracks because they feel so alienated and pushed around by the authority figure atmosphere. I think it would be good if teachers and counselors were a bit more friend-like, within reason, of course. I think some kids actually could be gotten through to in this manner...like relate to them on their level, they think you're kind of cool, you have a better chance of them actually wanting to look up to you, since they are adolescents and no longer children.

The over-emphasis on being strict authority figures with middle and high school students I think is actually very unhealthy and unproductive. Of course there have to be SOME strict authority figures, but there should also be room for fun, creativity, jokes, and trying to understand these kids on their level.

I want nothing to do with the public school system. It makes me want to vomit.

heart on fire

Professional behavior for a teacher mean being polite, fair and consistent. I don't see why this would prevent a teacher from "connecting" with students. One need not wallow in gutter talk to be accessible.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think it's interesting that at the end of the clip they say that some parents defended his methods, but were unwilling to go on camera. It makes me wonder what the whole story is. This could be a case of journalistic spin.

I had a teacher in high school who used to throw erasers. It was kind of funny. My AP English teacher also got "in trouble" with parents because her methods of teaching were unconventional, she was actually my favorite teacher in high school, she won teacher of the year for the entire state of NC in 1996, and left the public school system because of the way they've unreasonably limited teachers.

I've even had veteran elementary school teachers - old ladies near retirement - complain to me that all of the creativity has been taken out of teaching.

I am suspicious of this article.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'm willing to make allowances for unprofessionalism in favor of genuine affection and educational efficacy. I'm not saying that's what is going on here, but I think it is a possibility. I don't hold orthodoxy sacred.

If the guy really is mean-spirited and singled the girl out for abuse, then he shouldn't be a teacher. If it's just good-natured ribbing and he's otherwise a great teacher, he probably just needs to wise up a bit.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Ginkgo

Professional behavior for a teacher mean being polite, fair and consistent. I don't see why this would prevent a teacher from "connecting" with students. One need not wallow in gutter talk to be accessible.
    Well, many public school systems mandate that teachers refrain from disclosing their political, religious, and sometimes even sexual affiliation in the classroom. Some of these subjects are foundations for which we can connect and understand each other, though they are not the only means. So it is evident that there is a structured barrier between teacher and student, as the students are governed by different rules. However, these rules prevent the teacher from liberating their own personality, because apparently teachers are supposed to be simple information receptacles who are unplugged at the end of the day.

You own standards of polite, fair, and consistent are subjectively biased at best, and depersonalized at worst. Your standard of gutter talk is also biased. Because standards are always subjective, whether they be made by the individual or by a consensus, we must attend to the intention of the person making the action.

Was his intent malicious? What were the consequences of the action?

I think this particular teacher is being a dick in an inappropriate environment. Those are very impressionable children who should be encouraged positively because they cannot discern intent for themselves.

heart on fire

I think this particular teacher is being a dick in an inappropriate environment. Those are very impressionable children who should be encouraged positively because they cannot discern intent for themselves.
    Well, this is the bottomline why a teacher has to stay in professional behavior when in contact with the students.

Ginkgo

Well, this is the bottomline why a teacher has to stay in professional behavior when in contact with the students.
    But what if he has puppies?