User Tag List

First 12345 Last

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by xNTP View Post
    I doubt he really took off 20%, unless of course she turned it in late, which sort of explains everything.
    A teacher should not call a child a loser for turning a late paper. It's just unprofessional. If this story is true, the guy belongs somewhere else than teaching children. He has no prudence, no judgement.

Ginkgo

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

This problem could be cleared up if the girl stopped being such a loser.

Remember boys and girls if you are an authority figure, then it's never your fault.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Personally, I think it is a very unproductive, ineffective way of dealing with the problem - what did he hope to accomplish by calling the child a loser?

If he has a problem with the child, it is important to communicate with the child and the parents primarily and the school principal in the long run if things do not change. By writing such unprofessional comments (in black and white!!!) you're really damaging the kid's self-esteem and your own position.

Instead, I would have tried to encourage the child to do better. Maybe something's going on at home that explains the poor marks. Maybe she's having trouble with the subject and needs extra help. Maybe she has poor esteem and needs some kind of extra support.

Speaking of which, I really do not think this kind of help falls under the category of 'being a friend or buddy' to pupils. Instead, I think it's kind of acting like a catalyst to help students improve.

Regarding adult education, I think you need to adjust your methods according to the group you teach. Some people want a no-nonsense teacher who is all business. Others want someone who is open, responsive, and cares about their people; as a teacher, you need to know who needs what and not force it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'm as quick as any parent to go into protective mode, but I don't like how there is very little context presented in this situation. Sometimes the best teachers are gruff and tease and joke around with the kids.

My son's first grade teacher called him a nut-head and a little monster, etc and she absolutely loves him and he loves her. I would trust her with his life in a heartbeat and when he had to change schools she called and told them that they had better take good care of him or that I would be up there and so would she.

Context is really important.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

heart on fire

It's unprofessional. There's no context to change that.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    It's unprofessional. There's no context to change that.
    What is professional?

Sometimes these kinds of remarks, whether they are made from student to teacher or teacher to student, indicate a close bond between the two individuals in the same way that a brother gives his younger sibling a noogy, but still loves him at the end of the day.

It is by breaking the strict mold of professionality that we are able to know each other this closely.

So you have to ask yourself : Was the teacher being benevolent or malevolent?

Does this matter? I think this context matters.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Thing is though, it's a lot harder to imagine a proper context for "You're a loser!" actually written onto someone's paper in red ink than it is to imagine a proper context for jokingly calling a student a nut-head in a spirit of comradery.

We have the entire context. There isn't anything else when it's just a disparaging remark written onto a paper that gets handed back.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Tater Typhoon View Post
    What is professional?

Sometimes these kinds of remarks, whether they are made from student to teacher or teacher to student, indicate a close bond between the two individuals in the same way that a brother gives his younger sibling a noogy, but still loves him at the end of the day.

It is by breaking the strict mold of professionality that we are able to know each other this closely.

So you have to ask yourself : Was the teacher being benevolent or malevolent?

Does this matter? I think this context matters.
    A teacher acting like a "younger brother" is clearly unprofessional.

I bet Mr. Teacher has some deep-rooted issues and complexes he'd like to compensate for. Perhaps he was bullied in high school.