User Tag List

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Default Clarkson (controversy in spades)

I'm not sure that this is the appropriate place to put this but as it encompasses several world events and is likely to focus on some of them I thought it best to place it here.

Right first off an example of Clarkson and the reactions he gets. I'm not sure how much exposure people have had to this fat car reviewer but personally I'm beginning to think he talks a lot of sense even if he does so via the medium of getting peoples backs up (definite NT, not sure about INTJ or ENTJ though, I think ENTJ but my father [also an ENTJ] is vehemently denying it ).

Apparently there was (and probably is) a vote to put him up for the PMs job (tongue in cheek to many but a deadly serious proposal for others).

The thing is that I can see how him being PM would work in the countries favour. Of course he could probably do with some training so that we wouldn't have to issue an official apology every day but really the man makes a lot of sense.

For example, that Katrina thing.. did they really have gunships going around the area? If so what on earth for? They cost too much to buy, repair and run, they can't carry more than a couple of people and have soo much excess gear for the job it's untrue.

So anyway feel free to chip in as there's no specific direction other than Clarkson related stuff.

(Oh and yes I'm bored if you were wondering)

PS. I should just mention that I realise the excerpt is possibly offensive and I apologise if it upsets people. Yes I did laugh at his nerve and yes I feel guilty about it.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTJ

er...

"Unfortunately, on the street you’ve got some poor, starving souls helping themselves to a packet of food from a ruined, deserted supermarket. And as a result, finding themselves being blown to pieces by a helicopter gunship."

Well, he appears to have a flare for the dramatic (see: exaggeration). I highly doubt that many people (if anyone) got blown apart by a "gunship" while walking around harmlessly. The fact is, the National Guard has been called upon in most major natural disasters where other agencies (particularly local ones) are not equipped to handle it. They simply have more manpower and resources and are a valuable asset. Not to mention that they have to be asked to help...they don't just stroll in and start laying waste to people. :rolli:

Were they using blackhawks (or some variation of them) in the rescue efforts? Yes. Why wouldn't you use every available helicopter that you could? It's what the coast guard uses after all. Maybe they can't carry as many people as he'd like but you can't exactly land a Chinook anywhere.

I didn't see any mention of the fact that the rescuers were constantly being sniped at by civilians and the "helicopter gunships" were being shot at from the ground by crazy refugees. I would want to be armed too if I was trying to save these people and they were shooting at me. The fact is, these people saw an opportunity and decided to rape and pillage rather than maintain order...so an outside force had to step up. That's what the government is for. The very fact that police snipers had to be stationed on many precinct station roofs speaks volumes. I know that our crime rate (in Houston, Tx) went up significantly whenever all of the hurricane survivors streamed over.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

True though just to be precise, a black hawk is a utility helicopter not a gunship because it has no hardpoints. Oh and agreed the militia (or whatever they call them) is often called in crisis times. I just thought the parody was amusing.

If you compare the responses of different bodies I think you will see what he's on about though. It does seem that firearms and military hardware turn up rather quickly if it's America doing the rescuing. Plus the point stands that when rescuing it's a good idea to keep an eye on the cost otherwise you end up running out of money before you've achieved what needs doing.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?