User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Default Why do people keep comparing the US to Europe?

I don't get why people keep doing this. Is it because there are a lot of Europeans on this board? It seems like a comparison that seems natural but when you really look at it there's not a whole lot of thought to it...
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Sniffles

People are intellectually lazy to consider the true nature of the relationship between the two entities and various factors involved.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    People are intellectually lazy to consider the true nature of the relationship between the two entities and various factors involved.
    Is that so?

Because I mean it seems kind of like comparing Earth to Mars. I mean they're most similar to each other when compared to all the rest of the planets, but they're not interchangeable by any means.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Is that so?

Because I mean it seems kind of like comparing Earth to Mars. I mean they're most similar to each other when compared to all the rest of the planets, but they're not interchangeable by any means.
    Well it's little like comparing Ancient Greece and Rome - almost. They're weren't exactly the same, but they were two major wings of Classical civilization. Same can be said of America and Europe in regards to Western Civilization. Much of America is an extension of European culture(more specifically Anglo).

So to claim they're not related at all would be a grave mistake.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The USA, and the EU collectively, represent two of the most prominent forces in the world today. They are world leaders in all kinds of matters. So it's inevitable that comparison's become a popular passtime. Some of it is just pride, other aspects are inquiries into what's better or worse about one or the other, so as to form the foundation of policy decisions. Since this is a casual forum, however, the latter usual gets derailed by the former in short order.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

cuz like, europeans are all cool and enlightened and shit.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Well it's little like comparing Ancient Greece and Rome - almost. They're weren't exactly the same, but they were two major wings of Classical civilization. Same can be said of America and Europe in regards to Western Civilization. Much of America is an extension of European culture(more specifically Anglo).

So to claim they're not related at all would be a grave mistake.
    I dunno. If we're going by Anglo culture, well, to them, the Channel is wider than an ocean.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I dunno. If we're going by Anglo culture, well, to them, the Channel is wider than an ocean.
    In many ways yes. The Anglo element has been predominant within American culture and history, but it was never exclusively so. Even in Colonial times the English did allow other nationalities to settle in their areas, particularly Germans for example. The Dutch governed New York for a short time before coming under British rule. Then French territories that were acquired after the French and Indian War.

MBTI
    ENFJ

In many ways yes. The Anglo element has been predominant within American culture and history, but it was never exclusively so. Even in Colonial times the English did allow other nationalities to settle in their areas, particularly Germans for example. The Dutch governed New York for a short time before coming under British rule. Then French territories that were acquired after the French and Indian War.
    Around here we like to pretend we were once French but then we go home and make brats and spaghetti bake for dinner.

Sniffles

You're in Louisana?