User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I don't think it does, but in any case Puerto Rico is 1/1000th of America's land area, ie. statistically negligible.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Beh, semantics.

EDIT- that was a response to the whole American continent bit. No, Puerto Rico is not a sovereign state but that doesn't make it part of the US.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    Beh, semantics.
    It kind of makes me laugh when people act like Victor at semantics, because the original idea was to take over the continents, and now everyone cries out because of that failure. I mean, I guess we could always try again...
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTP

What's this "you" shit though? I'm not American.
    Technically, yes you are. And, while Puerto Rico did not originally choose to become an American territory, about 97% of you guys wish to either retain the status quo or become the 51st state. Doesn't sound much like the British Raj to me...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Technically, yes you are.
    Technically, you can go to hell. Puerto Ricans have next to nothing in common with Americans, other than citizenship.

about 97% of you guys wish to either retain the status quo or become the 51st state.
    So what? The vast majority of people are morons.

MBTI
    INTP

Puerto Ricans have next to nothing in common with Americans, other than citizenship.
    Most Puerto Ricans seem to disagree with you, and about half (of those living on the island) disagree strongly; have you heard of the "no true Scotsman" fallacy?

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

If you're talking about why people do it on the Internet, a big reason is that in USA-dominated sites, discussions are opened on premises that are probably true of the USA but not everywhere else, and then theories discussed about underlying causes for phenomena, which seem reasonable to Americans, seem quite obviously false to other people.

For example, in the discussion about what kind of people atheists tend to be and why, cultural differences between the USA and other parts of the Western world are extremely relevant and seemed to go ignored by most. Theories about why American atheists tend to be one of a certain few kinds of people (be it positive things like intelligent or negative things like bitter) can be thrown into serious doubt, I'd even say disproved, by comparing notes.

A more contentious example was the UK gun thread, in which some people were clearly applying a number of facts about the USA (e.g. "it's easy and common for burglars, shop/bank robbers and violent rampagers to have possession of a gun, therefore ordinary people are at significant risk of being shot if confronted by one" and "we've all heard people complaining they want the right to own a gun for their own protection") to a country of which they couldn't be less true.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Most Puerto Ricans seem to disagree with you, and about half (of those living on the island) disagree strongly;
    Disagree about what? Disagree that we're a catholic, Latin, Spanish-speaking nation made up of the descendants of Spanish settlers and African slaves; as opposed to a Protestant, Anglo-Saxon, English-speaking nation made up mostly of European immigrants and British settlers with a segregated African minority? I don't think many people disagree on that and if they do they're imbeciles.

have you heard of the "no true Scotsman" fallacy?
    I don't think this applies here. I'm not saying a true Puerto Rican wouldn't support statehood, I'm saying Puerto Ricans are a Latin people, distinct from America's Anglic people. Sovereign status does not define a nation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    INTP

Sovereign status does not define a nation.
    No, but shared identity does; most Puerto Ricans seem to have a more nuanced and much less elemental perspective on identity than you do. Incidentally, of all the "Puerto Rican" characteristics you mentioned, only the Spanish language aspect presents any particular obstacles as far as an "American" identity is concerned. The United States is a state-nation, not a nation-state in the European mold.
    Last edited by lowtech redneck; 03-13-2010 at 01:15 AM. Reason: clarification