User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 64

  1. #11
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    You're in Louisana?
    No, but you're close!
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  2. #12
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    The biggest element of difference I can see is the historical topography and politics. Europe is in many ways the prototype to learn from. It is also a gumbo pot of different cultures; and one only needs to visit Istanbul to realize this. Cultures are learned behaviors that were cultivated under a variety of circumstances, and culture clash occurs when the circumstances contradict each other.

    There is not as much culture clash in America because we have not culminated such a vast expanse of circumstances. We just have the states, all under the same federal circumstances, which were derived from cherry picked European circumstances.

    So America is like the bastard child of Europe. Since the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, we're always comparing people to their family members - even if they're excommunicated.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    976

    Default

    Comparing the U.S. to jello & orangutans seemed to be more challenging.

    And besides--Europe and America are the same--only different.

  4. #14
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,543

    Default In order to see

    Two things have opened my eyes - the history of ideas and comparative history.

    It is in comparative history that I have rediscovered the history of my own country.

    And in particular in comparing the histories of my country and North and South America.

    This is deeply important for two reasons -

    First, we perceive by making distinctions, and the more distinctions, the more we see. So comparison enables us to makes distinctions between our countries and so see them in a new light.

    Second, a metaphor is a comparison of relationships. So comparing our countries enables us to see them metaphorically. And remember computers cannot make metaphor, only we can. Only we can see in metaphor.

    So people keep comparing the USA to Europe, and Australia to North and South America, to enable us to see.

  5. #15
    Badoom~ Skyward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    1,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Two things have opened my eyes - the history of ideas and comparative history.

    It is in comparative history that I have rediscovered the history of my own country.

    And in particular in comparing the histories of my country and North and South America.

    This is deeply important for two reasons -

    First, we perceive by making distinctions, and the more distinctions, the more we see. So comparison enables us to makes distinctions between our countries and so see them in a new light.

    Second, a metaphor is a comparison of relationships. So comparing our countries enables us to see them metaphorically. And remember computers cannot make metaphor, only we can. Only we can see in metaphor.

    So people keep comparing the USA to Europe, and Australia to North and South America, to enable us to see.
    Makes sense, because if we didnät compare anything, there would be no 'real' statistic except from history. I mean, say kangaroo population statistics. The fact that Australia is the only country in the world with kangaroos wouldn't be known unless you compared Australia to other countries. Australians would just be comparing how many kangaroos they have now to how many/few they had before.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

    This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

    Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

  6. #16
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    In some ways, Europe is a always mirror of how Americans will be in 30 years.

    They abolish slavery, then we do. They give women suffrage, then we do. They become cool with smoking pot, and now we are starting to.

  7. #17
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    In some ways, Europe is a always mirror of how Americans will be in 30 years.

    They abolish slavery, then we do. They give women suffrage, then we do. They become cool with smoking pot, and now we are starting to.
    so is this next for USA?

    No mix toliets.

  8. #18
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    so is this next for USA?

    No mix toliets.
    Sounds brilliant!

  9. #19
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
    Makes sense, because if we didnät compare anything, there would be no 'real' statistic except from history. I mean, say kangaroo population statistics. The fact that Australia is the only country in the world with kangaroos wouldn't be known unless you compared Australia to other countries. Australians would just be comparing how many kangaroos they have now to how many/few they had before.
    Sure, kangaroos make us distinctive, just as the English and Scottish Enlightenment made us distinctive, just as the Aristocratic Ascendancy made us distinctive, just as gaining our Independence peacefully made us distinctive, just as uniting a whole Continent peacefully made us distinctive. And that there is no blood on the wattle makes us distinctive.

    And these distinctions are largely in comparison to the USA.

    However the comparison to South America is just as interesting. As we have Common Law while South America has Roman Law. We start from the particular and derive the general, while South America starts with the general and derives the particular.

    Also South America has Baroque values while we have Gothic values.

    South America is like the hedgehog and knows one thing, while we are like the fox and know many things.

    But these are comparisons within Western Civilization. What is coming in the global village is comparisons with Indian Civilization and Chinese Civilization.

    What sights shall be sparked by these comparisons?

  10. #20
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    In some ways, Europe is a always mirror of how Americans will be in 30 years.

    They abolish slavery, then we do. They give women suffrage, then we do. They become cool with smoking pot, and now we are starting to.
    I'm a little uncomfortable with that example, the US has charted its own course to a greater extent than this would suggest and the cultural differences between the US and EU member states (because they are quite diverse among themselves) are great, the one adopting the practices or norms of the other could be disasterous.

Similar Threads

  1. Why do people on the right tend to think climate change is fake?
    By asynartetic in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 275
    Last Post: 10-11-2017, 12:06 AM
  2. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-23-2014, 08:26 AM
  3. Why do people keep buying Call of Duty?
    By jixmixfix in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-06-2012, 08:12 PM
  4. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-03-2011, 11:22 AM
  5. [INTJ] Why do people Pretend to be INTJ's?
    By Dominicus Griswold in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 10:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO