I am not from the US so I am just going to be blunt with all of you since I am not a part of your culture/mindset/political environment or whatever you want to call it.
I am exploring the topic of global warming for about 20 years now and you can even say it belongs into my profesional interests. (since it is possble that I will work for a mining company one day)
In other words I really like global warming. Since it is a braking point for the US. Which is because it clearly shows how much your society is flawed.
1. You have so called free media which are not really free since they serve to various groups of people to get their message across. Don't lie to yourself, those media exist only to make profit and they will in general put on air everything that makes profit or what politically benefits the idols of the owner of that TV company.
2. It also shows how hard it is do get the real data. I mean I am not suprised at all people in the US don't "believe" in global warming. Since you simply can't hardly even get to the real data (in general not just about AGW).
Since everything that comes out in US press is more or less created or at least modified in some think-tank.
And then all sides accuse each other that their data is flawed. Which is of course true since every one just wants to create more drama in hope of winning an argument. I think that global warming is real but there is no way I will make Al Gore my idol. (no way)
3. Also it clearly shows how subjective you really are as a culture. I mean the global warming is scientific term and it is not that much hard to prove or disprove it. However since most americans have crappy scientific knowledge they debate this tiopic with their hearts and beliefs. What obviously leads to no where. Since you are not even discussing global warming as a subject you are discussing what you believe when it comes to global warming.
In other words just the question "Do you believe in global warming" shows that that most of american are not at the same wavelenght as the problem.
4. Lets be honest. How many of you even come close your your food before you bought is at the super market ? In other words people don't grow their own food they are likely not to know about all technical problems that changes in climate could have on food production. Since this information is off limits to you. If nothing that is because it is a business secret.
Why in so many movies you have "skockpile food and ammo" element ? You have it becuse all of you are treated like children. (it is just that you have to pay) Not to mention that becuse of technological superiority you can somewhat compensate for changes while many other countries don't have that luxuriy. Which is one of the reasons why AGW is less of a taboo in many other countries.
5. And then you have politician that are running the show for people in the background. While in fact they are hidding the fact that you are not no. 1 economy of the world (even from us that live in different countries)
The thing is that the oil can be bought only for dollars in modern world and only in a very few special places. However if you want to run modern economy you must have the oil. But you can't get it if you don't have the dollars. So in order to get them you must sell something to the US so that you can get their(yours) money so that you can buy the oil. However since all countries are doing this you have a free hand to print as much money as you want (unless you trully go over the line) since they need your money.
Which in the end becomes/settles as a reserve of some country. I mean this is why dollar is a reserve currency of the world. Also this is why US makes only 4.5% of the worlds population but it makes about 50% of the world military budget.
Which is becuse you have the resources for that and you want to make sure that oil can be bought only for dollars. Since this way US gets alot of resources for free (since you only have to print money) so it is easy to create a society with high standard that way. So the reason why you are not really economy no 1 is becuse it is all pretty much fictional. This is why all over the US people do some kinds of a office work of sale something. I mean you are not producting nation anymore so people at power have to invent all those "fictional" office jobs to create the illusuion that everything is ok.
So what does that have to do with global warming ? If global warming is a problem we have to get off the oil. But if that happens the illision that US has a economy will disapear over the night. Since no one will need your money that much. Basicly this is why conservative media are creating the mindset that "believing" in global warming is not patriotic. What in a way is true at this moment since trade of oil for dallars is your life support system and your country will surely crash if there are sudden changes. Basicly every problem you are facing is in the end is tightly connected to this. Which is that you technically don't have the economy anymore. If you think I am a conspiracy theorist ask yourself where is a all that industry that existed in the US a few decades ago and why do many product have on them "made in China" "made in India" made in Brazil" etc.
As for me personally: people even consider to be "unusually pro American" what in a way is true. However I am fascinated by how little average american knows what is happening to him/her and yet things somehow still work.(at least for now)
So I would take some time to think about all of this a little bit if I were you.