User Tag List

First 1624252627 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    What I don't like about this is that, whether global warming is man-made or not, people who say it's manmade and get everyone to change to clean fuels and etc and then the earth keeps getting warmer can just say it's "because by the time we changed the effects were already irreversible!" really, without any evidence.
    Except there is evidence and they've put out suggested timetables for carbon reduction. The problem is they're worried about a tipping point of sorts where you hit a point where everything becomes irreversible. Think of something like feedback on a microphone. You can put a mic closer and closer to an amp with no feedback until you hit a certain distance at which point you get a huge amount of feedback.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I'll try to trace their research. The important thing is if they have validly amassed quantitative evidence of their assertion.
    But they haven't amassed quantitative evidence (on all of their claims). They made shit up to scare people.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP

read new thread :p

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

I am wondering if anyone else is watching what is happening at arctic at the moment ?I have proffesional interests in this so I pay attention all the time.
    But media seem to be awfuly quiet about this. (from my prespective at least)

Anyway here is a picture that is about 24 hours old.
    I advise that you put your head on the table and take a look from that perspective. Since from that perspective the brightness of the screen doesn't hide many details.

So as you can see the ice cap is cracking into two parts. While large parts are suffering structural desintegration into ice bergs and open sea.

Here is the source of the picture
    (pretty interesting site)

Opinions ?

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Opinions ?
    It's hard to have a reasonable opinion on data presented without context.

It's August in the Northern Hemisphere. What should the Arctic ice cap look like in August?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    It's hard to have a reasonable opinion on data presented without context.

It's August in the Northern Hemisphere. What should the Arctic ice cap look like in August?
    Fair enough.

The thing is that I have posted the link that goes to home site of that picture. Which contains simulations and pictures about everything that happened during the last 7 years.

So I was hoping that people will play with this a little bit.

But if you want blunt answer.

As far as I know there has never been a situations in which the ice cap is at risk of falling apart. Which is because ice has been drastically thickened during last couple of years.
    The ice extend variates from year to year but the volume seems to be droping constantly and considerably as years go by.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Here is the volume graph.

Oberon

Ah... all right. Thanks. The data you've presented indicates a clear warming trend, obviously.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    As far as I know there has never been a situations in which the ice cap is at risk of falling apart. Which is because ice has been drastically thickened during last couple of years.
    The ice extend variates from year to year but the volume seems to be droping constantly and considerably as years go by.
    There have been periods in Earth's history when there were no polar ice caps. This probably isn't what you were talking about (you probably referring to a time period much more recent), but your statement is an attempt to portray this as an extreme phenomenon. It probably seems extreme from the incredibly brief perspective of our short history, but is that the best perspective to have when analyzing this?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    There have been periods in Earth's history when there were no polar ice caps. This probably isn't what you were talking about (you probably referring to a time period much more recent), but your statement is an attempt to portray this as an extreme phenomenon. It probably seems extreme from the incredibly brief perspective of our short history, but is that the best perspective to have when analyzing this?
    The best perspective to have is the one that relates to human well-being the most.
    Go to sleep, iguana.