User Tag List

First 132122232425 Last

Results 221 to 230 of 263

  1. #221
    Senior Member Pixelholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevrawlings View Post
    cute.

    I said *concensus*, is there really an elite group called "the scientists" that you're referring to?

    Both sides have *scientists* with claims and counter-claims, and data that contradicts the other's data..
    You admitted you're a layman. You have no idea what you're talking about other than what you hear on the news. A Scientist researches and forms a hypothesis and then THOUSANDS OF OTHER SCIENTISTS are all given the opportunity to either refute his hypothesis or build off of it. They are elite and it is okay to trust their judgment.

    On the other hand you have a corporation like Exxon that would very much like to keep drilling for and selling oil since they make a lot of money doing so. They find a scientist and offer him a hundred million dollars if he can find evidence refuting climate change.

    What you end up with is one side with mountains of data and peer-reviewed evidence and another side with cherry-picked results. Then the media comes and frames the "debate" as though both sides are equal when in fact they are not.

  2. #222
    Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    1,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    They are elite and it is okay to trust their judgment.

    On the other hand you have a corporation like Exxon that would very much like to keep drilling for and selling oil since they make a lot of money doing so. They find a scientist and offer him a hundred million dollars if he can find evidence refuting climate change.
    due to being the only ones allowed to speak in front of media.

    on the other other hand you have carbon trade bundlers that would very much like to keep trading carbon credits that have no physical backing at all until the point of world collapse where that small rich white few makes a killing and the 'little man' starves to death due to 12$/gallon and a 500$/month power bill. your daddy work for the UN?
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

  3. #223
    Senior Member Pixelholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain View Post
    due to being the only ones allowed to speak in front of media.

    on the other other hand you have carbon trade bundlers that would very much like to keep trading carbon credits that have no physical backing at all until the point of world collapse where that small rich white few makes a killing and the 'little man' starves to death due to 12$/gallon and a 500$/month power bill. your daddy work for the UN?
    Where did I say I supported cap and trade?

    And fossil fuels are finite. The above nightmare scenario is inevitable as long as we're reliant on them. Any price change is going to affect the poor adversely (because you know, who the fuck cares about them,) but the price of fossil fuels is subsidized anyway. If we didn't have an infrastructure wholly dependent on having a car then it wouldn't be as big of a problem.

    Nice Ad Hom, try harder next time.

  4. #224
    Senior Member kevrawlings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    You admitted you're a layman. You have no idea what you're talking about other than what you hear on the news. A Scientist researches and forms a hypothesis and then THOUSANDS OF OTHER SCIENTISTS are all given the opportunity to either refute his hypothesis or build off of it. They are elite and it is okay to trust their judgment.

    On the other hand you have a corporation like Exxon that would very much like to keep drilling for and selling oil since they make a lot of money doing so. They find a scientist and offer him a hundred million dollars if he can find evidence refuting climate change.

    What you end up with is one side with mountains of data and peer-reviewed evidence and another side with cherry-picked results. Then the media comes and frames the "debate" as though both sides are equal when in fact they are not.
    "Thousands" of scientists? A "hundred million dollars"? Do you know what *you're* talking about? Those figures are arbitrary and out of thin air. The only other time I've heard someone say 100 million dollars is when Dr. Evil said it in Austin Powers. Just envisioning the transaction of a big oil executive carrying a briefcase with one hundred million dollars and handing it to a sneaky scientist is making me laugh as I type this. Is that how it looks in your head, too?

    I'm all for the environment. I love it. I wouldn't choose to do without it. I know all about big oil and its motivations for influencing public opinion regarding global warming.

    I have to ask, are you a member of the lay community as well? What's your title if you don't mind me asking?

    Understand that your stance here is entirely theoretical and based off of what you've heard from your media, just as Bubba's stance is based off what he hears on Fox news.

    Both sides care about influencing ***registered voters***, liberal and conservative.

  5. #225
    Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    1,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    Where did I say I supported cap and trade?

    And fossil fuels are finite. The above nightmare scenario is inevitable as long as we're reliant on them. Any price change is going to affect the poor adversely (because you know, who the fuck cares about them,) but the price of fossil fuels is subsidized anyway. If we didn't have an infrastructure wholly dependent on having a car then it wouldn't be as big of a problem.

    Nice Ad Hom, try harder next time.
    would you agree we gotta phase one in first before we phase one out to avoid mass poverty?
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

  6. #226
    Senior Member kevrawlings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain View Post
    small rich white few
    Racist statement.

  7. #227
    Senior Member Pixelholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevrawlings View Post
    "Thousands" of scientists? A "hundred million dollars"? Do you know what *you're* talking about? Those figures are arbitrary and out of thin air. The only other time I've heard someone say 100 million dollars is when Dr. Evil said it in Austin Powers. Just envisioning the transaction of a big oil executive carrying a briefcase with one hundred million dollars and handing it to a sneaky scientist is making me laugh as I type this.
    Here is your consensus. If you're bothered by it being a wikipedia link you are free to research the citations and see where the information came from.

    You're right, I did pull the pay out of my head. My point was that industries that have the most to gain from denying Global Climate Change have a lot of resources with which to try and sway someone.

    For fairness, here is the list of scientists that deny Global Climate Change. Again, you can check the sources and see who they are affiliated with.

    I have to ask, are you a member of the lay community as well? What's your title if you don't mind me asking?
    Yes.

    Understand that your stance here is entirely theoretical and based off of what you've heard from your media, just as Bubba's stance is based off what he hears on Fox news.
    You are right, but I'm willing to trust scientists who are far better trained than I am to make these kind of predictions rather than claim that the guy being supported by Exxon is somehow equal. If I wanted to, I could teach myself and follow the experiments and do them myself (albeit on a smaller scale) and see if my results hold up. It just takes some critical thinking to be able to make an informed decision. The problem is that too many people aren't willing or are unable to use such critical thinking skills.

    Both sides care about influencing ***registered voters***, liberal and conservative.
    This is true. Unfortunately one side is much better at this than the other.

    would you agree we gotta phase one in first before we phase one out to avoid mass poverty?
    Yes, I would, but at the rate we're going we may not have that option. I personally don't think that we're going to be able to have a painless transition any way we do it.

  8. #228
    Senior Member kevrawlings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Yeah, that makes sense, and thanks Spin, for clearing up the process that the scientific community goes through.

    Sure hope this world's got some years left in her.

    The man responsible for global warming ------>YouTube - Love Connection's Best Named Guest

    He vowed revenge on the world that mocked him so cruelly!

  9. #229
    Senior Member kevrawlings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    137

    Default

    tough crowd - his last names fagot, get it? Man, I thought that would kill . . . from global-warming to thread-freezing.

    Really? After all of this pedantic talk about the science of global warming, that previous post is what confounds everybody?

  10. #230
    What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevrawlings View Post
    tough crowd - his last names fagot, get it? Man, I thought that would kill . . . from global-warming to thread-freezing.

    Really? After all of this pedantic talk about the science of global warming, that previous post is what confounds everybody?


    Mediocre at best and abstractly mundane. Congratulations.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

    This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

    Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...



Similar Threads

  1. Data on Global Warming is being Faked!!!!!!!!!
    By Mal12345 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 09-28-2015, 11:41 AM
  2. The Great Global Warming Swindle
    By reason in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 07-08-2015, 12:04 PM
  3. Heat Wave Blamed On Global Warming
    By Mal12345 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-05-2012, 04:57 PM
  4. Current update on Global Warming!
    By swordpath in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 12-21-2008, 02:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO