User Tag List

First 81617181920 Last

MBTI
    FREE

Spin-1/2-Nuclei, I will fight to get this resolved, if you think it necessary. I'm trying to feel out how sure of our demise you actually are. If I am convinced of your fears, then I will research this, and be as batshit crazy about getting others to understand climate change as I am being ITT. There are times for discussion, and times for action...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Humans are motivated by external stimulation, and I have not had the kind of stimulation that tells me there is immediate danger. You say our situation is like falling, and your goal is to open the parachute. Well, if I were falling, I would beg and plead to get that parachute open; I would cry, I would fight, I would bite, I might even murder to make sure it was open. You make a claim of death and destruction, but act otherwise.

Who the fuck cares about drugs or renewable energy? Why waste your time when we will all be dead unless something is done about this? You may feel as though I am being condescending, but my intentions are pure. I have no harsh feelings for you, and consider you a rather intelligent and capable person from my limited observations.
    First of all I'm not going to murder anybody... for starters I am not afraid to die... why should I ruin my life for nothing? You bitches won't change it doesn't matter what I do or say... so yeah I'm going to do what I can, which is more than most people do I might add - but I'm also going to live my life and spend time with my family etc... I didn't bring them into this world and I certainly wont be bringing anybody else into this world unless things change (and I doubt they will)

and while I hope I am able to come up with an idea that prevents future and even reverses manmade damage to the environment - I can't do anything more than that...

Your logic is flawed.. I'm not the problem...
    I'm not acting any different than what I believe... I'm just smart enough to know that save a miracle break through (which I and every other scientist I know tries for) nothing can be done about this problem by one person...

Think to a person with cancer.. you don't see them going around killing people or trying to spend their last few years on earth getting a medical degree and trying to save themselves...

I do what I can.. and what I have done so far will impact this problem, but not more than people having multiple kids and driving multiple cars and needing to change their cell phone every year etc...

you should care about atom economical reactions and drugs because big pharma is a major contributor to world pollution and is also sucking up all the solvents we need to make more plastics and drugs in the future at an alarming rate.. so the less they do this the better.... My work will help with that.. You should care about renewable energy for obvious reasons... my work will also eventually help with space travel and colonization.. and more than that I can't do.. I wasn't crowned evil queen dictator.. you wanna make something like that happen and then maybe we can talk about what more I can do from my little science lab.. LOL! The voters have all the power if only they would use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    watch where you're driving f$cktards! I have the right of way!!! :steam:

MBTI
    IsTP

Spin-1/2-Nuclei, I will fight to get this resolved, if you think it necessary. I'm trying to feel out how sure of our demise you actually are. If I am convinced of your fears, then I will research this, and be as batshit crazy about getting others to understand climate change as I am being ITT. There are times for discussion, and times for action...
    Tu quoque mixed with appeal to motive.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Argument that the sun is doing it is flawed in its core since the strongest changes are at the north pole. Which is in fact reciving the smallest amount of the suns energy from entire northern hemisphere.

As you can see on this pictue amounts of energy are falling on the different parts of the earths surface. The distances between yellow lines are energy.
    However since earth stands as is it stands polar regions are getting less energy per square meter/mile or whatever because of the angle. In other words rays are falling under a different angles around the globe what determines how much they will warm up the place. This is actually the reason why we have ice at the poles and tropical areas around the equator.
    Actually you can notice the same thing during a day. When the sun is low the temperature will never be as high as in noon. (this is simplified example)

So if the sun is to blame the biggest changes would be at the equator while the smallest would be at the pole. And what we have observed is the opposite of that.

If you get my point ?
    What I never got is why there's such high concentrations of oil near the north pole because of this. Can someone explain that to me? Please?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTJ

I would suggest researching it for yourself instead of taking my word for it... One person isn't going to fix this.. I'm just one scientist... nobel prize winners can't even get anyone to take them seriously on this issue.. I'm not sure what the fuck someone like me could do other than get myself placed in jail and then I wouldn't be helping solve this problem at all...

I am quite certain that we will destroy our planet if we do nothing and it saddens me and despite what you think of me it has affected my life... I do not plan on getting married or having children... tell me how does one have a relationship when they are married to their career? There are plenty of people like me in science but there are not enough of us to do anything about this unless as I said before we land the miracle discovery, which every body hopes for but at present nobody has gotten yet... More than that we can't do... The rest is really up to the people.. Vote for smart politicians that want to protect the environment vote for the removal of corporate lobbyists and maybe just maybe the geniuses I've met at these conferences and their brilliant ideas might actually make their way out of their lab notebook and into practice.. this of course can't happen without funding...

That's like asking a tea party follower to fix the government spending issues by paying it off themselves.. it doesn't work that way..
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    watch where you're driving f$cktards! I have the right of way!!! :steam:

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

IF YOU THINK YOU WILL DIE, THEN DO MORE THAN ARGUE IN A FUCKING FORUM. IT ISN'T ABOUT JUST HOW TO SOLVE IT, IT IS ABOUT ACTUALLY APPLYING THAT SOLUTION. FEAR OF DEATH SHOULD BE MOTIVATING YOU.
    I already consider myself dead. (with GW or without it)

As for taking care of the problem , there are people what will settle this mess permanently.

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by spin-1/2-nuclei View Post
    I would suggest researching it for yourself instead of taking my word for it... One person isn't going to fix this.. I'm just one scientist... nobel prize winners can't even get anyone to take them seriously on this issue.. I'm not sure what the fuck someone like me could do other than get myself placed in jail and then I wouldn't be helping solve this problem at all...

I am quite certain that we will destroy our planet if we do nothing and it saddens me and despite what you think of me it has affected my life... I do not plan on getting married or having children... tell me how does one have a relationship when they are married to their career? There are plenty of people like me in science but there are not enough of us to do anything about this unless as I said before we land the miracle discovery, which every body hopes for but at present nobody has gotten yet... More than that we can't do...
    I wasn't planning on taking your word; but, to transfer motivation, I would need at least a general understanding of the foundation and legitimacy of said motivation. Your life path has allowed you to discover what you have, and to be the person that you are as a result of those discoveries. I, having lived a different life with different experiences, don't have the luxury of already knowing for certain of the demise of our society. You were lucky enough to have stumbled upon it. I would need to actively go out and research it, a sacrifice that requires a degree of motivation on my part. I am probing you for that motivation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by spin-1/2-nuclei View Post
    That's like asking a tea party follower to fix the government spending issues by paying it off themselves.. it doesn't work that way..
    No, not by paying it off themselves. I'm not a fool. But for any real change to take place, it seems likely that a few people need to rise up and grow some testicles. I'm sure if the founding fathers had taken that attitude that we'd be ending each post with "God save the Queen!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

EDDY: I had been taught that while the Sun indeed affects the upper and outer atmosphere of the Earth, purported connections with the troposphere and weather and climate were uniformly wacky and to be distrusted. I still believe that to some extent, for there is a hypnotism about cycles that seems to attract people. It draws all kinds of creatures out of the woodwork. The claims that were made for associations between weather events and the Sun I thought were pretty preposterous. One of those that turned up was this notion that Gene told me about. About the work of Walter Maunder 100 years before, when he had thought that there was a prolonged period of time in the 1600s when the Sun wasn't so active.

That really piqued my curiosity, and I began digging into it. The trail was, initially, purely historical, initiated by Gene Parker telling me about Maunder, and driven by my prejudice of trying to find examples from the past that would disprove, once and for all, the notion of strong sun-weather relations. A devout negativism on this subject was the gospel at the High Altitude Observatory anyway and the catechism that I had been taught and had taught to others. And although I was indeed an acolyte, I was trying to examine the early origins of Sun-weather claims, like unrolling and deciphering the Dead Sea scrolls of solar physics. But it was mostly a love of history that took me down the trail.

Interview with Jack Eddy

EDDY: In connection with my visits with investigators on these satellite instruments, I would go and spend time in the libraries that were far better than those in Boulder. In this way, I was able to read and collect original texts-mostly in Latin-from the time of the Maunder Minimum. And collect old pictures and original data on both sunspots and aurorae, and naked-eye observations from the Orient.

WEART: At this point, you were beginning to believe that the Maunder Minimum was real.

EDDY: I was beginning to change my mind and to believe it was real based on the original documents I read, and as a result of immersing myself in the time, as happens when you dig into history. But it was a shock to me to suspect that my original feelings and biases were wrong.

WEART: And at this point, the evidence was still mainly sunspots. You hadn't gotten into the aurora or the carbon-14 yet?

MBTI
    ENFJ

I don't know if it's all necessarily at the equator... what about magnetic fields and stuff.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge