User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by spin-1/2-nuclei View Post
    If the layman choses to remain ignorant of mankind's effect on this planet then nothing can really be done since politicians make laws not scientists...
    Personally, I know how to construct my own greenhouse, filter my own water, make my own electricity, make my own antibiotics and medications, I'm extremely mechanically inclined etc... and so are most of my colleagues in the sciences...

I have to say if issues like this are ignored by the layman and in the future things get bad as a result.. people like me will have a much easier time "adapting" to the changes than the layman, and something tells me that we wont be feeling much like sharing..

edit: there is a difference between presenting evidence and fear mongering...
    blah blah blah science, people are familiar with the corporate side which is trying to get them to buy paper towels with green stickers on them.

Could you make me some antibiotics? I kind of need them. Do you know how to synthesize insulin? Otherwise, my brother will die. How about synthesizing birth control? Can you do that?

I'm a very sickly person. Perhaps I should off myself right now.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Desert View Post
    Could someone please tell me what the optimal global temperature would be?
    That depend about which part of the globe we are talking about and under what circumstances. There is no universal answer.

If you want to grow bannanas on Antarctic then it is much warmer than now.
    It all depend what do you want to do.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    blah blah blah science, people are familiar with the corporate side which is trying to get them to buy paper towels with green stickers on them.

Could you make me some antibiotics? I kind of need them. Do you know how to synthesize insulin? Otherwise, my brother will die. How about synthesizing birth control? Can you do that?

I'm a very sickly person. Perhaps I should off myself right now.
    Actually yes I could make synthetic insulin as well as antibiotics.. birth control too... do they have a chemical structure?

lol! you should try to understand things before you comment on them..
    You see if you're making it for a very small population like 50 people... you don't have to resort to the same methods that are utilized by industry... Most drugs are made in a chemistry lab on a small scale first and then scaled up for industrial processes and mass distribution... There are right now across the entire USA enough starting materials (housed in science departments) available to provide a small society with whatever they need for hundreds of years and even still enough solvents etc to get more of those starting materials from natural resources..

surprise surprise.. small societies are in fact sustainable at least in relation to resources... if you're sickly that's too bad.. not really sure what that has to do with global warming though... perhaps if you're thinking of suicide you should seek counseling. just my two cents.

If we run out of resources, who cares about your brother - unless of course he has some sort of skill that would be useful for survival in "The day after tomorrow" type scenario that will definitely occur if mankind does nothing to change the way we treat our planet... if I've got resources and I have to chose between my brother and your brother it's my brother every time... I can't believe people actually think common decency will remain in a you vs me scenario... if you think that it will look at how the rest of the world treats Africa.. sure people try to help here and there with what little they feel is appropriate but nobody is putting their kids in the poor house to feed and cloth the poor people of that continent...
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    watch where you're driving f$cktards! I have the right of way!!! :steam:

MBTI
    ENFJ

Actually yes I could make synthetic insulin as well as antibiotics.. birth control too... do they have a chemical structure?

lol! you should try to understand things before you comment on them..
    You see if you're making it for a very small population like 50 people... you don't have to resort to the same methods that are utilized by industry... Most drugs are made in a chemistry lab on a small scale first and then scaled up for industrial processes and mass distribution... There are right now across the entire USA enough starting materials (housed in science departments) available to provide a small society with whatever they need for hundreds of years and even still enough solvents etc to get more of those starting materials from natural resources..

surprise surprise.. small societies are in fact sustainable at least in relation to resources... if you're sickly that's too bad.. not really sure what that has to do with global warming though... perhaps if you're thinking of suicide you should seek counseling. just my two cents.

so who cares about your brother unless of course he has some sort of skill that would be useful for survival in "The day after tomorrow" type scenario that will definitely occur if mankind does nothing to change the way we treat our planet...
    I have no skills, I'm extremely sickly, so I should off myself because I'm useless and unfit to live. It has everything to do with global warming.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I have no skills, I'm extremely sickly, so I should off myself because I'm useless and unfit to live. It has everything to do with global warming.
    I think it has everything to do with mental illness.... I don't think too many scientists are asking for sickly people to be killed off to stave off global warming... rather that the average person turn their thermostat down a few degrees, limit their use of fossil fuels, buy food that is locally grown, be mindful of what they put down their drains, water their lawn less or not at all, try not to have 4 or 5 kids, support legislation that increases funding for renewable resources... you know stuff like that... I'm not really sure how that translates into kill off all of the sick people...

Moreover if you're saying you're getting that kind of coded message from reading scientific data in support of manmade climate change then you really really really should see a licensed therapist...
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    watch where you're driving f$cktards! I have the right of way!!! :steam:

MBTI
    IsTP

Moreover if you're saying you're getting that kind of coded message from reading scientific data in support of manmade climate change then you really really really should see a licensed therapist...
    FYI: That doesn't come from reading the data, that comes from listening to Alex Jones.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I would be useful in a post apocalyptic world!

I don't feel like society is too keen on people like me in it's present existance though

let's bring on the end of the world
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

If we run out of resources, who cares about your brother - unless of course he has some sort of skill that would be useful for survival in "The day after tomorrow" type scenario that will definitely occur if mankind does nothing to change the way we treat our planet... if I've got resources and I have to chose between my brother and your brother it's my brother every time... I can't believe people actually think common decency will remain in a you vs me scenario... if you think that it will look at how the rest of the world treats Africa.. sure people try to help here and there with what little they feel is appropriate but nobody is putting their kids in the poor house to feed and cloth the poor people of that continent...

I don't want to be mean but that movie is fiction. I am getting your point but to commom people you have to explain that this so called scenario contains too much drama and everything happens just very quickly. Plus there are things that are simply impossble in that moves.

I mean stuff like this movie is one of the things that creates so called skeptics. Since they think this is what global warming is about. While in reality it will take longer and people/regions over the world will die off slowly as they are destabilized with time. Untill in one moment you can realize that everyone will get "screwed" with time. (and then the mass panic starts)

MBTI
    intj

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    That depend about which part of the globe we are talking about and under what circumstances. There is no universal answer.

If you want to grow bannanas on Antarctic then it is much warmer than now.
    It all depend what do you want to do.
    Hmmm seems that this is a debate that cannot be won by either side if they can't even decide what the the best global temperature is suppose to be.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

100 or more years from now, people will look back on this time and wonder how we could be such fools, imagining we have no impact on our ecosystems.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching