User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 45

  1. #1
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default Inside the cat and dog meat market in China

    Inside the cat and dog meat market in China - CNN.com

    Inside the cat and dog meat market in China

    By Emily Chang, CNN
    March 9, 2010 12:23 p.m. EST

  2. #2
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,908

    Default

    I don't feel any worse about this than I do about pigs being farmed and slaughtered. The banning of cat and dog meat alone is silliness.

    It's not that I don't feel bad for animals in general, but the fact that I'm reading people talk about what an uncivilized travesty it is to kill those particular animals without paying any mind to the lives of cows, or pigs, or chickens, just pisses me off.

    This has nothing to do with being humane. It has to do with conforming to irrational customs for the sake of image.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  3. #3
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Cats and dogs are predators, wouldn't their meat be really stringy?

  4. #4
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Cats and dogs are predators, wouldn't their meat be really stringy?
    Sure. I also think hotdogs smell and taste horrendously bad, that doesn't mean that I'm going to call their existence immoral and lobby to have them banned.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  5. #5
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I don't feel any worse about this than I do about pigs being farmed and slaughtered. The banning of cat and dog meat alone is silliness.
    Your argument is incomplete.

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It's not that I don't feel bad for animals in general, but the fact that I'm reading people talk about what an uncivilized travesty it is to kill those particular animals without paying any mind to the lives of cows, or pigs, or chickens, just pisses me off.
    The issue is just as much about how those dogs and cats are kept, handled, and tortured before execution as it is about their ultimate fate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    This has nothing to do with being humane...
    BULLSHIT.

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    ..It has to do with conforming to irrational customs for the sake of image.
    That's just your opinion.

    Do you eat meat?
    If not, great.

    If so, would you be OK if the chickens, pigs, and cows you ate were kept, handled, and tortured/killed beofre you ate them?

    Just curious.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

  6. #6
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    I think Magic Poriferan is right; there is no reason to outlaw cat and dog meat specifically (or meat in general); I personally love cats (and like certain breeds of dog), but many people have animals like pigs for pets, as well. I would (subjectively) think less of a person for eating such animals (as I'm sure some vegans think less of me for my support of eating meat, wearing fur, hunting, and factory farming), but that's not nearly a good enough reason to make it illegal.

  7. #7
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    If so, would you be OK if the chickens, pigs, and cows you ate were kept, handled, and tortured/killed beofre you ate them?
    If you define profit-oriented factory-farming as "torture," then yes. If you mean tortured for no apparent reason other than sick pleasure, then no, as such activities have sufficient negative ramifications on human society and development to justify laws against it. Also, I couldn't care less about chickens, but I think I could love individual pigs and cows.

  8. #8

  9. #9
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Your argument is incomplete.
    Well, yeah, when you cut it off before the rest of the post, of course it will be.


    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    The issue is just as much about how those dogs and cats are kept, handled, and tortured before execution as it is about their ultimate fate.



    BULLSHIT.



    That's just your opinion.

    Do you eat meat?
    If not, great.

    If so, would you be OK if the chickens, pigs, and cows you ate were kept, handled, and tortured/killed beofre you ate them?

    Just curious.
    The chickens, pigs, and cows we eat are subjected to horrible lives. And I am a meat eater. So apparently the answer is yes. I support through consumption the continued cruel mistreatment of huge numbers of animals. If you eat any of those meat products, you do too.

    So I return to my point, that nothing is particularly special about what happens to these cats and dogs.

    If you aim to be consistent (and I aim for logical consistency when I develop "just my opinion") then the grounds for the consumption of cats and dogs being reprehensible should also be grounds for the consumption of those other animals being reprehensible.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  10. #10
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Cats and dogs are predators, wouldn't their meat be really stringy?
    Actually, it was known among the mountain men and pioneers in the US that puma (a.k.a. mountain lion or cougar) meat was the best game meat available... truly delicious.

    The meat of wild true carnivores is more consistent and generally better than that of wild omnivores. Omnivores (including dogs) are given to scavenging, eating carrion and rummaging through garbage heaps. For this reason, although bear meat is widely eaten by hunters in North America, the quality of the meat varies hugely depending on what they've been eating. If you were to kill a brown bear during the salmon run... not sure that's legal anyway, I don't think the seasons overlap... you wouldn't want the meat.

Similar Threads

  1. why do cats and dogs eat grass
    By prplchknz in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-18-2012, 02:44 PM
  2. Not living in the here and now?
    By Jeffster in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 128
    Last Post: 02-27-2009, 08:11 PM
  3. metaphorical cats and dogs
    By digesthisickness in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-25-2009, 04:59 AM
  4. Difference Between the Congress and the Market?
    By nomadic in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-06-2008, 01:29 AM
  5. The difference of the N and the S mind in Art and Music
    By wildcat in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 02:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO