Inside the cat and dog meat market in China

By Emily Chang, CNN
    March 9, 2010 12:23 p.m. EST

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I don't feel any worse about this than I do about pigs being farmed and slaughtered. The banning of cat and dog meat alone is silliness.

It's not that I don't feel bad for animals in general, but the fact that I'm reading people talk about what an uncivilized travesty it is to kill those particular animals without paying any mind to the lives of cows, or pigs, or chickens, just pisses me off.

This has nothing to do with being humane. It has to do with conforming to irrational customs for the sake of image.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

heart on fire

Cats and dogs are predators, wouldn't their meat be really stringy?

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Sure. I also think hotdogs smell and taste horrendously bad, that doesn't mean that I'm going to call their existence immoral and lobby to have them banned.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I don't feel any worse about this than I do about pigs being farmed and slaughtered. The banning of cat and dog meat alone is silliness.
    Your argument is incomplete.

It's not that I don't feel bad for animals in general, but the fact that I'm reading people talk about what an uncivilized travesty it is to kill those particular animals without paying any mind to the lives of cows, or pigs, or chickens, just pisses me off.
    The issue is just as much about how those dogs and cats are kept, handled, and tortured before execution as it is about their ultimate fate.

This has nothing to do with being humane...
    BULLSHIT.

..It has to do with conforming to irrational customs for the sake of image.
    That's just your opinion.

Do you eat meat?
    If not, great.

If so, would you be OK if the chickens, pigs, and cows you ate were kept, handled, and tortured/killed beofre you ate them?

Just curious.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INTP

I think Magic Poriferan is right; there is no reason to outlaw cat and dog meat specifically (or meat in general); I personally love cats (and like certain breeds of dog), but many people have animals like pigs for pets, as well. I would (subjectively) think less of a person for eating such animals (as I'm sure some vegans think less of me for my support of eating meat, wearing fur, hunting, and factory farming), but that's not nearly a good enough reason to make it illegal.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    If so, would you be OK if the chickens, pigs, and cows you ate were kept, handled, and tortured/killed beofre you ate them?
    If you define profit-oriented factory-farming as "torture," then yes. If you mean tortured for no apparent reason other than sick pleasure, then no, as such activities have sufficient negative ramifications on human society and development to justify laws against it. Also, I couldn't care less about chickens, but I think I could love individual pigs and cows.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Your argument is incomplete.
    Well, yeah, when you cut it off before the rest of the post, of course it will be.

The issue is just as much about how those dogs and cats are kept, handled, and tortured before execution as it is about their ultimate fate.

BULLSHIT.

That's just your opinion.

Do you eat meat?
    If not, great.

Just curious.
    The chickens, pigs, and cows we eat are subjected to horrible lives. And I am a meat eater. So apparently the answer is yes. I support through consumption the continued cruel mistreatment of huge numbers of animals. If you eat any of those meat products, you do too.

So I return to my point, that nothing is particularly special about what happens to these cats and dogs.

If you aim to be consistent (and I aim for logical consistency when I develop "just my opinion") then the grounds for the consumption of cats and dogs being reprehensible should also be grounds for the consumption of those other animals being reprehensible.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Actually, it was known among the mountain men and pioneers in the US that puma (a.k.a. mountain lion or cougar) meat was the best game meat available... truly delicious.

The meat of wild true carnivores is more consistent and generally better than that of wild omnivores. Omnivores (including dogs) are given to scavenging, eating carrion and rummaging through garbage heaps. For this reason, although bear meat is widely eaten by hunters in North America, the quality of the meat varies hugely depending on what they've been eating. If you were to kill a brown bear during the salmon run... not sure that's legal anyway, I don't think the seasons overlap... you wouldn't want the meat.