User Tag List

First 345

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by phthalocyanine View Post
    well, i haven't been a meat eater for about 7 years... but if i ever change my diet back, you can bet i'll spring for free range, as i hope many people will continue to so perhaps standards will change as time progresses. from what i understand, meats from smaller free range farms taste a lot better. seems the most sensible route all around.
    This is why I've never felt particularly bothered by hunting. The meat I kill is as free-range as it gets.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    You know, scientists have been developing the ability to grow flesh without animals. Right now, simple stuff like skin and chicken livers have been created. It will be a long while before we can start growing spare ribs or something, but it's well within the realm of plausibility.

Tell me, would that not be a huge solution to both humane and ecological concerns?
    I think I'd need a LOT of evidence before I'd trust that eating such artificially grown meat would be healthy to eat. Especially compared to a free-range cow, chicken, deer, etc. General rule:

Made in a vat?
    Don't eat that.

A while back I read The Omnivore's Dilemma(TOD) (good book, by the way), and the author mentions how surprised he was to discover just how different the content and taste of meats depends on how they're raised (basically what Oberon said above, but with "farmed" meat). I can't recall the statistics, but he was fairly convinced that "free-range" meat is not only tastier, but also legitimately better for you. I'd be *very* wary of vat-grown meat. How do they grow it, anyway? I can't imagine that it *wouldn't* involve some pretty heavy use of hormones (and other growth/differentiation factors) and antibiotics, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    He buys the skinniest cows at livestock auctions and allows them to graze on the many acres of land he owns to fatten them up. He said time and good nutrition will make a cow plenty big. He keeps alot of the cattle meat for consumption by him and his family. We ate steak that night at the farmhouse, and it tasted outstanding.
    I don't really eat all that much meat, but that sounds like some tasty, nutritious steak . Definitely the way to raise a cow --- put it in a pasture to eat grass (what they evolved to eat), and not corn, which apparently makes them sick and unhealthy. TOD has some pretty gruesome descriptions of cattle raised in a corn-fed feedlot vs the experience of a farmer who uses free-range methods.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    I think I'd need a LOT of evidence before I'd trust that eating such artificially grown meat would be healthy to eat. Especially compared to a free-range cow, chicken, deer, etc. General rule:

Made in a vat?
    Don't eat that.

A while back I read The Omnivore's Dilemma(TOD) (good book, by the way), and the author mentions how surprised he was to discover just how different the content and taste of meats depends on how they're raised (basically what Oberon said above, but with "farmed" meat).
    I'm aware of that. It would not surprise me. But my response to this is to simply question why the meat of these animals comes so differently. Once we have the answer, we can surely replicated the effects in our harvested meat one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    I can't recall the statistics, but he was fairly convinced that "free-range" meat is not only tastier, but also legitimately better for you. I'd be *very* wary of vat-grown meat. How do they grow it, anyway? I can't imagine that it *wouldn't* involve some pretty heavy use of hormones (and other growth/differentiation factors) and antibiotics, etc.
    An free range is also the most economically and ecologically costly method as well, is not? Part of my point is that the current way of producing meat just can't continue, especially with the earths population still growing, and new developing and developed countries wanting a part in those meat markets.

Besides, I was talking about an ethical dilema here as well (in fact, primarily). If you're not interested in sparing the lives of animals, than it makes no difference to you anyhow. If you are, this idea was an option for being able to eat meat without killng a sentient animal. Of course, a vegetarian coud just choose to continue not eating meat, but this would also be a way for other people to eat meat without committing any transgressions in the ethical vegetarians eyes. If I was dealing with such a vegetarian, and they said "yeah, it keeps you from killing animals, but it doesn't look like the meat is very high quality" I'd question the sincerity of their position.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INtP

An free range is also the most economically and ecologically costly method as well, is not? Part of my point is that the current way of producing meat just can't continue, especially with the earths population still growing, and new developing and developed countries wanting a part in those meat markets.
    I believe that free-range meat is probably economically more expensive, but ecologically *less* expensive (take into account things like fuel and fertilizer use, mass waste runoff, drug-pumped animals, disease-susceptibility of monocultures, etc.). And an awful lot of the economic incentives for particularly feedlot corn-fed beef are due to subsidies and really rather artificial in nature (pun intended ).

I'm not convinced that ecologically or economically speaking, that food can be put through an assembly-line process the way that we traditionally consider efficiencies of scale. Food is (mostly) perishable, and the quality tends to decrease as the assembly-line nature of it increases. I admit that I don't have a very good grasp on the scale of the problem, but my instinct is to say that we'd be better off with more diversified and local agriculture (where possible). I do agree that our consumption of meat (particularly cattle) may not be sustainable given population growth, etc. It's true that I'm getting a lot of my information from TOD -- but its explanation of the issues seemed quite reasonable to me.

Besides, I was talking about an ethical dilema here as well (in fact, primarily). If you're not interested in sparing the lives of animals, than it makes no difference to you anyhow.
    Oh, I agree with you there. I wasn't really addressing the ethical issues involved. I don't really see any ethical issues in eating meat, especially when it comes to eating animals that haven't been mistreated in their growth and/or harvesting (of course, I do share many people's issues with eating things like cetaceans or primates).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.