User Tag List

First 2345 Last

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I must admit I feel the same way about people who would eat dolphins.
    Yes, to be honest I feel the same way about not only dolphins but whales too. Very uneasy about pigs.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I'm uneasy about eating animals that can communicate with us. But the truth is, probably all animals can, to some extent. This makes me think about going back to vegetarianism.

Oberon

I'm uneasy about eating animals that can communicate with us.
    Let them get hungry, and those animals won't give us the same consideration.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

i heard the unicorns went extinct because all the other animals found out they were really tasty.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I must admit I feel the same way about people who would eat dolphins.
    You might be confusing "dolphins" with "porpoises."

Mahi Mahi, a very yummy FISH, is referred to as a "dolphin."

The MAMMALIAN dolphin (whose cousin is the MAMMALIAN Porposie), as in the TV show "Flipper," is not the same "dolphin" served on a blackened Mahi sandwich.

A good article on the differences between dolphins and porpoises:
    Dolphins vs Porpoise - What is the difference?
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    The chickens, pigs, and cows we eat are subjected to horrible lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Also, I couldn't care less about chickens, but I think I could love individual pigs and cows.
    the conditions in which most factory farmed animals live are not only objectionable to the human consumer on an ethical level. there are certainly questions regarding health as well.

in order for these animals to survive being cramped in a confined, literally shit and piss filled space with tons of others, they are given high doses of antibiotics to combat the infections they are prone to getting from these poor conditions. that's in addition to the hormones which make them grow at an unnatural rate and to an abnormally large size. this is especially true of chickens, because as smaller animals their bodies deteriorate more quickly without more drugs.

i don't know about anybody else, but these are things i'd rather not ingest.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by phthalocyanine View Post
    i don't know about anybody else, but these are things i'd rather not ingest.
    Then don't; others may think the economic savings and portion sizes makes up for whatever is lost (or added) in the process. The rest are perfectly free to buy free-range chickens.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Then don't; others may think the economic savings and portion sizes makes up for whatever is lost (or added) in the process. The rest are perfectly free to buy free-range chickens.
    Agreed.

My friend's Dad raises chickens for Purdue on his farm.

Every 6 weeks 250,000 chickens are picked up from his super-industrial chicken houses, and 250,000 more chicklets are delivered.

He attests that hormones are not used to grow chickens. Granted he has only worked for Purdue, Tyson goes so far as to list on their chicken product packaging that no hormones are used in their operations.

My friend's Dad also raises some cattle. I asked him about cows being injected with Finaplex (Trenbolone, an anabolic steroid) pellets in their ears. He said that some ranchers use those, but that he does not. He buys the skinniest cows at livestock auctions and allows them to graze on the many acres of land he owns to fatten them up. He said time and good nutrition will make a cow plenty big. He keeps alot of the cattle meat for consumption by him and his family. We ate steak that night at the farmhouse, and it tasted outstanding.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

well, i haven't been a meat eater for about 7 years... but if i ever change my diet back, you can bet i'll spring for free range, as i hope many people will continue to so perhaps standards will change as time progresses. from what i understand, meats from smaller free range farms taste a lot better. seems the most sensible route all around.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I don't feel any worse about this than I do about pigs being farmed and slaughtered. The banning of cat and dog meat alone is silliness.

It's not that I don't feel bad for animals in general, but the fact that I'm reading people talk about what an uncivilized travesty it is to kill those particular animals without paying any mind to the lives of cows, or pigs, or chickens, just pisses me off.

This has nothing to do with being humane. It has to do with conforming to irrational customs for the sake of image.
    Agreed.