User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Ginkgo

As humans, we must remember that, in order to survive, we must maintain our own livelihood by eating foods that are healthy and balanced. Many people feel that certain animals should be given more rights because these particular creatures are somehow more human; so they temporarily ignore their own human needs.

In order to break this stigma, ask yourself: If you were stranded alone with nothing to eat but dogs and cats, would you ignore your sympathy for them in order to consume and survive, or would you starve?

Why favor cats and dogs over livestock? Is it because they are your companions? I hear chickens, pigs, and other animals can be adequate companions as well - especially pigs.

EDIT: I think the factors of this ethic are as follows:

What level of consciousness do dogs and cats have compared to humans?
    Are they more or less healthy to eat and why? Don't automatically put them in the same category as livestock just because they are animals. They are of a separate utility.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    If you were to kill a brown bear during the salmon run... not sure that's legal anyway, I don't think the seasons overlap... you wouldn't want the meat.
    But salmon is delicious!
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    But salmon is delicious!
    So it is... and bear meat, when the bear has been eating large ungulates and fruit in the fall, is most often compared to a good grade of beef.

Now imagine salmon-flavored beef.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Tater Typhoon View Post

In order to break this stigma, ask yourself: If you were stranded alone with nothing to eat but dogs and cats, would you ignore your sympathy for them in order to consume and survive, or would you starve?
    I'd eat a human if I had to survive, I've seen Alive.

Still, I'm not starving, I love my pets, I'm conditioned to see them as family and not food, and it's a social conditioning that I'm cool with retaining for myself.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    I'd eat a human if I had to survive, I've seen Alive.
    We should start a human farm, but refrain from killing them by shearing bits of flesh from them en masse. We let them heal and then repeat the process.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

I don't feel any worse about this than I do about pigs being farmed and slaughtered. The banning of cat and dog meat alone is silliness.

It's not that I don't feel bad for animals in general, but the fact that I'm reading people talk about what an uncivilized travesty it is to kill those particular animals without paying any mind to the lives of cows, or pigs, or chickens, just pisses me off.
    i suppose humans have had a kind of symbiotic relationship with cats and with dogs for thousands of years, and this has strongly affected many people's attitudes toward raising certain animals for food. most people wouldn't want to eat a horse, but a goat seems a more plausible dinner option. why? because we don't ride goats, i guess. we don't name them or attribute character traits to them like we would with horses, dogs or cats. but our ethical attitudes and mental divisions make no difference to them. what matters in the end is how we treat them.

pigs are considered as intelligent or more intelligent than dogs, so i don't exactly see why eating one is essentially any worse than the other with regard to suffering. if a dog whimpers in agony when it is caged, or kicked, or otherwise injured, i'm sure a pig will then have similar reactions to these kinds of treatment. even if people refuse to believe "food animals" are intelligent, they cannot deny that as creatures with central nervous systems, they have a capacity to sense physical discomfort, shock, and pain.

sometimes i think issues like this (not eating certain animals such as dogs) are just a convenient diversion for guilty people who want to feel better when they nom on their evening pork chops.

on a (questionably) lighter note-

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Tater Typhoon View Post
    We should start a human farm, but refrain from killing them by shearing bits of flesh from them en masse. We let them heal and then repeat the process.
    Oh no. That doesn't satisfy the barbarian in me. Should the need to eat humans ever come up, I shall hunt them the good old fashioned way. One by one, by tasty one.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Now imagine salmon-flavored beef.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    Oh no. That doesn't satisfy the barbarian in me. Should the need to eat humans ever come up, I shall hunt them the good old fashioned way. One by one, by tasty one.
    ah, the most dangerous game

Oberon

Okay, you can have my share of the fishbeef.