User Tag List

12 Last

Ginkgo

Question "In God We Trust"?

Is "In God We Trust", which is imprinted on U.S. currency and adorned in other places kind of like an upbeat, patriotic version of "Big Brother is Watching You"?

As you probably know, Big Brother was never actually revealed at the end of 1984.

Discuss.

MBTI
    ISFJ

It still boggles the mind to think of a government of a nation like the US to have such connection to religion, even if just in theory. Makes no sense at all.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    It still boggles the mind to think of a government of a nation like the US to have such connection to religion, even if just in theory. Makes no sense at all.
    Think of it this way: Why are we sovereign? Why are we equal? What is the outcome of this?

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tater Typhoon View Post
    Think of it this way: Why are we sovereign? Why are we equal? What is the outcome of this?
    Are you hinting at how it works as banner of unity? Sure, that is true. I still find it ridiculous. Specially in a country with so many citizens of different religions.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Are you hinting at how it works as banner of unity? Sure, that is true. I still find it ridiculous. Specially in a country with so many citizens of different religions.
    Many of our founding fathers were Deists. Deism was founded upon reason and the single notion that God exists; so under this idea, all other religions can exist.

Also, notice how the U.S. does not apply the inalienable rights given to us by the Declaration of Independence to those outside of our borders, even though God is apparently the creator of all existence - not just America. Of course, it is merely an expansion of the divine right of kings, but it still has this nuance of superiority. And for good reason - as it is for Independence.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

"In God We Trust" seems to be as appropriately intangible as a fiat currency.

To believe in the concept of God requires faith.

To believe the US Dollar is worth anything requires a similar leap of faith.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    "In God We Trust" seems to be as appropriately intangible as a fiat currency.

To believe in the concept of God requires faith.

To believe the US Dollar is worth anything requires a similar leap of faith.

Intangible enough not to revolt against, anyway.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

You're reading way too much into the phrase.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I thought that we used the phrase "In God We Trust" because we elect so many incompetent people to high positions in government. We have to trust God because we can't trust these unqualified... um... um... idiots...
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

The Elect

Quote Originally Posted by Tater Typhoon View Post
    Is "In God We Trust", which is imprinted on U.S. currency and adorned in other places kind of like an upbeat, patriotic version of "Big Brother is Watching You"?

As you probably know, Big Brother was never actually revealed at the end of 1984.

Discuss.
    The Puritans believed in Predestination and the Predestination of the Elect. But how could you tell who God has elected for heaven? The answer was that God showed his favour by prosperity. In other words the prosperous were elected by God to go to heaven. And naturally, those who weren't prosperous were destined to go to the other place.

This doctrine has been so successful that the USA now owns, controls and prints the Reserve Currency of the world. And on the Reserve Currency of the world, they crow their motto to the world with the words, "In God We Trust", as well they might.

And in owning, controlling and printing the Reserve Currency of the world, the USA can never go broke. Although every other country can. And this is also proof of God's favour.

And they have discovered that owning, controlling and printing the Reserve Currency of the World is more powerful than guns. For instance, they cut the throat of the British Empire at Suez by simply threatening to send Britain broke. And on a lesser scale they destroyed the Australian film industry by threatening to send us broke.

And of course they destroyed the USSR by sending it broke without firing a shot. China has noted this and as a precaution keeps vast deposits of the Reserve Currency which it lends back to the USA.

And of course many other countries and corporations operate under the threat of bankruptcy should they step out of line.

Yes, it is plain for all to see that God had elected the USA. So how natural for the USA to place their trust in God, printed as it is on their most powerful weapon.