heart on fire

Default USA: Tom Delay and Unemployment

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'm sure there are people that will stay on unemployment as long as they can in order to get out of working. I know some.

OTOH, I would have to see stats to see what percentage of people do that. AFAIK, you get around half the money collecting unemployment as you did working and I don't know a lot of people that wouldn't rather go to work than scrape by that poorly.

If he could prove that there was a large unfilled demand for labor caused by people collecting unemployment instead of working, it'd be more credible to me. From what I've seen and heard jobs really are scarce, so there are a lot of people who are willing to work that can't find employment though no fault of their own. I guess we could just let them go on other types of assistance or just starve and fill up homeless shelters or live under bridges.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I think his stance is flawed given the current economic conditions. There are millions of people looking for jobs that can't find one. Once unemployment drops below 6%, he can focus his wrath on the loafers again.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Since there are 6.1 people looking for a job for every job available, I don't know what he expects those other 5 people to do. You can't even expect them to successfully start a new business since consumer demand is low, partially because of lack of income due to unemployment. The current problem is not lack of available labor.

Fun chart on small business sales (note that small businesses are one of the primary generators of new jobs):

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I think for every job open, there are 6 people actively looking for said job. Or that's how it was at the height of the recession. edit: Dammit Seymour.

But Delay's line of thinking relates to the public policy idea that you can't have a safety net and social programs and low unemployment at the same time. But countries like Norway (3.3%), Germany (7.6%), and Denmark (4.2%) do. Every industrial country have these programs to some degree.

MBTI
    INFP

The HB lifeguards lay off their lifeguards every summer so they can collect unemployment yearlong. Then they rehire them. Year after year. SMH.

I think our unemployeds consist of a combination of people that leech off unemployment without really looking for work, people that are desperately looking for work and thankful for unemployment, and people that refuse unemployment and make hunting for a job their top priority (such as myself, and it paid off, I just got my dream job).

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Twinkle Toes Tom? Seriously? :eek:

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Hmm... I think someone's math is wrong.

Here in the valley, there are 6,500 unemployed people (or more) and there are 38 openings listed in the newspaper, so that's about 171 people for each 1 job, not 6 people for each 1 job...
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by speculative View Post
    Hmm... I think someone's math is wrong.

Here in the valley, there are 6,500 unemployed people (or more) and there are 38 openings listed in the newspaper, so that's about 171 people for each 1 job, not 6 people for each 1 job...
    It's probably flawed to assume that all job openings are listed in the newspaper.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    It's probably flawed to assume that all job openings are listed in the newspaper.
    Or that unemployment is distributed completely evenly: Unemployment Rates By County over Time.