User Tag List

123 Last

heart on fire

Default Six out of ten Australians don't want more people

MBTI
    ENFJ

But why? Immigrants are so cool! All the cool kids have them.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

^
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Oberon

I have been puzzled by the Western attitude toward immigration in general. Many countries in the West, and certainly the EU, seem to have an ethos that dictates that we welcome immigrants, no matter their state of mind or body, and no matter their numbers. This way of thinking is also present in the US, but is also countered by an opposing sense that there is a level of immigration that constitutes too much at one time for the nation to practically handle.

Other countries not in the liberal Western tradition do not share this ethos, and will unflinchingly bar entry to all but a selected few immigrants, who all must meet certain demographic and/or economic requirements. This is an unabashed effort to prevent the adoption of other countries' problems.

I am uncertan what I believe on this issue. I am conflicted.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

I would say for the larger politically stable countries both in space and population legal immigration is more healthy than smaller countries. When there is too much immigration a nation loses its national character in what essentially it becomes de facto an invasion. Such invasions can result in cultural as well as political breakdowns depending on how slowly assimilation takes.

Large scale immigration can however result in profits for big business that is a main reason why even democracies like those in Australia have a rather liberal immigration policy when the majority of the people are against it.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Doesn't seem like much of a news story, nor do I believe the 'stats' say anything. You ask someone do you want to share nicely with others or keep something all to yourself 6 out of 10 people would say keep it all, doesn't mean much.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Doesn't seem like much of a news story, nor do I believe the 'stats' say anything. You ask someone do you want to share nicely with others or keep something all to yourself 6 out of 10 people would say keep it all, doesn't mean much.
    If we're talking about legal immigration, yes.

Illegal (In the US)... Do you want their drugs, their crime, and to financially support these people via taxes?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    If we're talking about legal immigration, yes.
    It's talking about legal immigration though, I just don't believe many people would put much thought into answering those kind of questions in a poll, unless they'd had positive experiences with recent immigrants (or were recent immigrants) the 'safe' answer is to keep things as they are, known, safe, familiar.

Plus of course the fear answer is more people means less for me, less jobs, less security, less opportunities. Change into the unknown is a fearful thing for most.

Doubt anyone would agree with illegal immigration that didn't fall into the category of asylum seekers, and even then the debate would be about how they should be treated, not if that makes illegal immigration acceptable.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    It's talking about legal immigration though, I just don't believe many people would put much thought into answering those kind of questions in a poll, unless they'd had positive experiences with recent immigrants (or were recent immigrants) the 'safe' answer is to keep things as they are, known, safe, familiar.

Plus of course the fear answer is more people means less for me, less jobs, less security, less opportunities. Change into the unknown is a fearful thing for most.

Doubt anyone would agree with illegal immigration that didn't fall into the category of asylum seekers, and even then the debate would be about how they should be treated, not if that makes illegal immigration acceptable.
    Yeah. And aside from your points I think legal immigration is most frightening because the opportunity for emigration is so small. It's very difficult if not illegal to emigrate to most countries, so it's your responsibility to make where you are the best place for yourself.

MBTI
    INxj
    Enneagram
    4w5

While I am technically an immigrant here, I probably shouldn't say what I am going to say.
    But I do believe one of the strengths of Australia is its low population, so I can very well understand the opinion showed by this poll.

Also, when I look at France (my country of origin), I am still not convinced that the high immigration has enriched it culturally. Although the cultural downfall could be blamed on globalisation.
    NiFiTeSe
    4w5 so/sp
    I 77% E 23%
    N 85% S 15%
    T 51% F 49%
    J 60% P 40%
    average of many test results combined