User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    XXFP

Simple. Any pant size above size 34 should be taxed/fined for usage.

(haha bodybuilder friend of mine's idea)
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    nah it's the same thing they did with cigarettes, all it did was create a black market it's not gonna do shit for obesity except for the government to earn extra cash. Which is probably the real reason why their doing this.
    Yeah.. most of us still go to the store, to buy cigs.

And there will never be a black market for pizza and soda. Or, I can see it now... some underground Chuck E. Cheese ring, people standing outside the ball pit with AKs.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    For it to really have an effect on "obesity", you would need to increase the price of every calorie, not just the ones we think are "bad" but it would be an awfully blunt instrument and a cruel one at that (basically enforcing hunger).

Who is to say the poor would be any better off if they were chronically hungry?
    Excellent answer.

It won't have an affect on people's eating habits as much as it will have an affect on their wallets. Really, government shouldn't be interfering in peoples lives to that extent anyway. If they want to get rid of the fatties, then they would be better off taxing satellite and cable and start charging people who drive two blocks to pick up a 2 liter of carbonated corn syrup.

I used to eat up to 4500 calories a day and I was never over 190 pounds(which they would still consider overweight, even though I only had 13% body fat) because I ran every day, worked out three times a week and had an overall active lifestyle. Once I started slowing down on exercise and running(due to knee injury) I slowly cut my calories to about 1500 a day and I still maintain 15% body fat and hover around 145-155 pounds, depending on the season.

The point is: An active lifestyle is more important that lowering caloric intake. I think that was obvious but I wanted to reiterate it for people who don't read paragraphs.

So the government, if they wanted people to be healthy, would encourage children to be active by, perhaps, spending less money on schools with fewer required physical activity courses and spending the savings on schools that required more hours of walking, running, working out, volleyball or whatever the fuck kids are allowed to do in schools. I heard a lot of schools stopped letting kids play dodge ball and I'm sure amateur high school boxing and "smear the queer" aren't encouraged anymore. Probably a good idea, but they need to learn early that physical activities are important to health.

Selling Coke and candy bars and serving junk food for lunches should be banned in schools, but they should let the public decide for themselves what foods they want to consume. Taxing doesn't necessarily take that choice away for all people, but it will for the people who can least afford it.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

The problem with the logic in this is that only high fructose sweetened soda has a high impact on weight...diet soda does not, and since some diet sodas use splenda now instead of aspartame, the health arguments against diet soda are getting much weaker and less relevant.

Also, with pizza, part of the problem is what you get on it. If you get a cheese stuffed crust meat-lovers pizza, yeah the fat grams on that slice of pizza combined with the carbs in the crust is going to be completely outrageous. On the other hand, a vegetarian pizza on a thin crust is a reasonably healthy option if eaten in moderation.

I think it would be cool if pizza places started offering options like whole grain crusts and/or soy cheese. Some of the more "high end" places already do, I think, like Sammy's and California Pizza Kitchen.

There's a lot wrong with the American diet, and many people would argue that eating eggs and bacon for breakfast is worse than eating pizza if it's made with certain toppings. It just seems like discrimination against pizza restaurants.

I'm against it, though I do think the high fructose corn syrup in sodas is THE DEVIL.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
    Selling Coke and candy bars and serving junk food for lunches should be banned in schools, but they should let the public decide for themselves what foods they want to consume. Taxing doesn't necessarily take that choice away for all people, but it will for the people who can least afford it.
    I wrote a paper about this for one of my English classes. I argued that government schools (i.e. the public school system) has every right to pull Coke and snack machines from their campuses, and should have healthier options on their menus. People who have a problem with it can send their kids to private school, or pack their kids lunch with chips and candy from home.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I just thought about this.
    I don't want to pay an extra tax on pizza and soda pop.
    Oh wait. I never drink soda pop anyway. I don't really care for it.
    I'll skip the pizza.
    Premium ice cream.
    Pistachio.
    Butter pecan.
    Maybe a little whipped cream on top (real whipped cream, none of that Cool Whip stuff).
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    INTP

Extra taxes on these foods is just the soft approach. I prefer something that regulates the food makers, not so much the consumers.

Denmark did a trans fat ban (nothing can be more than 2% trans fat, I think) and it's worked for them. Everything tastes basically the same, and they've gotten healthier. It's showing up in their health stats.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Extra taxes on these foods is just the soft approach. I prefer something that regulates the food makers, not so much the consumers.

Denmark did a trans fat ban (nothing can be more than 2% trans fat, I think) and it's worked for them. Everything tastes basically the same, and they've gotten healthier. It's showing up in their health stats.
    Yeah I think they should ban trans fat and high fructose corn syrup. But from what I understand, the subsidization of corn prevents the latter.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Yeah I think they should ban trans fat and high fructose corn syrup. But from what I understand, the subsidization of corn prevents the latter.
    Ehhhhh I like my Dr. Pepper. Let's wait on the HFCS.