User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 47

  1. #11
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    If the whole point is to cut calorie intake, I logically expect there to be an exemption for diet soda.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  2. #12
    The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None
    Posts
    2,563

    Default

    While Falcarius can see the logic to putting higher tax on unhealthy food to cut obesity, he does not agree with the method of application. The problem is the tax would not only effect people who eat unhealthy but also poor people who only eat healthy.

    It is quite obvious developed countries have serious problems with obesity, and if it continues at the same rate as the previous four decades profound problems will arise. While Falcarius could not really care if humans become so melancholy they persist in so much comfort eating that they become as fat as Brachiosaurus or Argentinosaurus. He does care if they become so fat that they can't get out of bed which meant he had to pay more tax not only for their welfare benefits but their orlistat and bariatric surgery; Falcarius would probably become depressed as well, eat too much carrot cake and become obese in the process.

    It would be more proactive for governments to focus on encouraging the food industry to use more healthy ingredients, and to cut excess unhealthy ingredients they tend to use by the gallon like salt and sugar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

    Narcissism, plain and simple.

  3. #13
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    The root cause of the problem isn't going to be solved, and nothing will be discouraged. Ridiculous.
    exactly.
    well... actually not exactly.

    people will be discouraged from eating pizza, but it won't stop them or even slow them down.

    besides, what about the non-obese people who eat pizza a lot?
    people like me -- people who actually need to gain weight. now i have to pay more for pizza?
    i wonder if i can get a prescription from my doctor to eat sbarro and five guys.
    i'll pay a $0.09 copay and it'll be great.
    we fukin won boys

  4. #14
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    While Falcarius can see the logic to putting higher tax on unhealthy food to cut obesity, he does not agree with the method of application. The problem is the tax would not only effect people who eat unhealthy but also poor people who only eat healthy.
    Not sure how if the only tax is on soda and other "bad" foods.

    Not sure it really makes sense to do it in the states (do your taxes still pay for a portion of health care? I guess medicaid and such??) but I kinda think it might be a really good idea here, since everyone has to pay for the health care costs caused by eating unhealthy food. It seems wrong to me that processed food can be so much cheaper than healthier "basic" food.

    We kinda tax that stuff already here actually, since "real food" is typically untaxed (depends what it is) whereas cookies, soda, fast food and similar "unnecessary food" things are taxed ( normal sales tax). Not sure how it is in the states. With that in mind, I wouldn't object to the taxes on those being raised, especially if the money was going directly to health care (unlikely, I know) - or better yet, used to subsidize real food so it's more accessible.

    I agree that food subsidies are the real problem, though. Without them the prices on these things would naturally go up.
    -end of thread-

  5. #15
    *hmmms* theadoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    586

    Default

    It works out quite well in Denmark. The taxes just should be high enough, to make people actually feel the difference.
    Oh yeah?

  6. #16
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thea View Post
    It works out quite well in Denmark.
    Assuming that your statement is accurate (you haven't posted any statistics to back your argument), are you saying it would work in the US?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  7. #17
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Assuming that your statement is accurate (you haven't posted any statistics to back your argument), are you saying it would work in the US?
    There's also the little matter of "works out quite well" is supposed to mean; I doubt the people who would prefer that their favorite foods not be artificially expensive share that opinion...

  8. #18
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    There's also the little matter of "works out quite well" is supposed to mean; I doubt the people who would prefer that their favorite foods not be artificially expensive share that opinion...
    Can we really say they would be artificially expensive, when currently they (products containing HFCS) are so very cheap only because of the government subsidies for corn?

    Do you think the people who eat more healthy foods would prefer their taxes to be artificially expensive due to the health care costs of others' obesity and poor food choices?

    Just throwing that out there.
    -end of thread-

  9. #19
    *hmmms* theadoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Assuming that your statement is accurate (you haven't posted any statistics to back your argument), are you saying it would work in the US?
    I'm not saying anything, because the situation in the US is different. I just wanted to sow an example that it is working in other countries.
    And I haven't searched for any statistics, it's just that I know that people here don't eat that much snacks and don't drink sodas as much as back home in Latvia, because snacks and candies are more expensive than normal food. Fx a can of Coke costs at least 2 US dollars here, so they drink it mostly only on special occasions or weekends.
    Oh yeah?

  10. #20
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    I guess I don't quite understand a tax on "unhealthy" food.

    Sure, everyone knows sugary cokes and takeout pizza is unhealthy, but where does it end? It seems like the only thing left untouched would be the most calorie-less vegetables in the end.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] telling Fi from Fe based on smile and eyes
    By miked277 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 05-18-2016, 01:02 PM
  2. On Democracy and the Party System
    By Sniffles in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-01-2008, 03:56 AM
  3. Opinions on Bush and Clinton (Moved from Obama muslim thread.)
    By Jeffster in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-03-2008, 09:56 AM
  4. [NT] Berens' comments on NTs and conflict
    By rivercrow in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-13-2007, 05:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO